Quick Tone Count

Discussion in 'Support' started by barnacle, Mar 17, 2016.

1. barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Hi
      About 8 days ago (maybe following earlier noise trauma) my number of tones went up from 3 to sixish. And they keep taking in turns. One gets softer as I get used to it and then the next steps in. And tones change every few minutes.
      My question is, is six a record (but not one I want to hold). Does anyone else have lots of tones and how do you deal with the little %%!!!###?
      Thanks

2. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Sorry (or maybe congratulations), I don't think 6 comes even close to a record. I have described at least 11 to my audiologist and like you, they seem to cycle.

On a positive note though, I have found that over time they have become fewer in number and some that regularly appeared seem to have gone - maybe not forever, but a some have not appeared for several months.

What was the cause of your tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Thanks for message and hope you're doing OK. I think mine was noise trauma. Had extra trauma about a month ago and seem to be collecting extra tones like collecting stamps since then. How hard are you finding it to habituate to 11 tones? Even with six plus, I find that as I ignore one tone, then another tone steps in to the breach. Seems very very hard. Do your's cycle in pretty much the same pattern, as mine seem to? And can you mask them? Hope am not asking to many questions! I find itimpossible to mask all because some are too high pitch or loud and I would need different sounds to mask them all. Though on positive side, started going out again today after very low period, and found that in office environment I didnt notcie the sounds so much or at all if I kept busy. This is first bit of peace for a while.
      Anyhow, look after yourself mate.

4. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I still have good and bad days - even close to 2 years on - but the bad days aren't as bad as they used to be. Some days, I will only have 2 or 3 different tones, whilst others can be the full monty.

I'm not sure I hear as many as 11 now though - it was around September, when it was still really bad. I think on a bad day now, it is more around the 6-7 mark, but it is still more than enough to handle! They do not cycle in a repeatable pattern though, just one appears and another disappears, or sometimes, one appears, then another, then another. Other times though, the whole lot disappear for a few minutes and sometimes a few hours.

What I have noticed though is that there seems to be shift of around an hour between daily flare ups, so it takes around 3 weeks to cycle in time and therefore I have couple of really bad nights in a row as it is at it's worst at bed time for these 2-3 days - all very odd.

What caused mine is a very good question. The actual trigger was an allergic reaction to a prescription drug. What actually happened biologically though, is less clear. Some form of ototoxicity or inflammation of the tissue around the inner ear/nerves causing damage to one or both seem to be the most likely.

As regards masking, I was given a masker by the audiologist, but I don't wear it very often. Whenever I can cope, I don't wear it, but on days when it bothers me, I do. The advice is that you should have it loud enough to reduce the annoyance of the tinnitus, but quiet enough that you can still hear the tinnitus, otherwise, the brain can't learn to ignore it. Annoyingly though, you're not supposed to wear it at night, which is exactly when I want to wear it!

I'm pleased to hear that you're getting back to a bit of normality. I still struggle on some days, but on average, I am better than I was. Had a but of a bad night last night, but it only kept me awake for about an hour. It used to reduce me to almost no sleep on bad days.

You look after yourself too. Although I was aware of tinnitus, I never appreciated just how debilitating it was until I joined the club.