Quite Urgent Help Needed

Discussion in 'Support' started by barnacle, Mar 11, 2016.

1. barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Hi
      About four days I "gained" a new T sound. And for the first time I can hear the T everywhere outside and cant seem to mask it inside. I am literally going mad. I'm not sure how I can manage with this. Can someone please tell me if they have T which they can hear outside and find very hard to mask inside. And is it possible to get use to/ live with. I would really really appreciate some advice. Am slipping into pretty dark place. Was positive before this new tone but now am starting to despair.
      Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Sorry to hear about the new tone. Did it just come out of the sudden? What kind of T did you have before?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Thanks. Did seem to come out of the blue. The ENT person said sometimes you just get extra tones. Now I have about 5 (though is hard to tell as they seem to mix together)! Can you hear your T outside and if so how do you cope with that? Thanks

4. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I can hear my reactive T everywhere, that's mostly in my left ear, although I also have other tones that get louder when I'm in quieter areas. I don't even know myself how I cope, day by day I guess. Lately my ears ahve also become more sensitive so I'm worried about sudden loud noises that could make my T even worse.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Thanks for answering. And am sorry to hear that you are having a tough time too. I'm also worried about mine getting worse but I think that in reality sudden noises would need to be pretty loud if just for short time. The ENT consultant for example said not to worry about short peeps on car horns. I think part of my problem is also having OCD which conspires with T to give me hell. My wife use to kind of scream sometimes with exceitement when we were watching X factor and she thought the singer was good. Now she's left me at least I dont need to worry about that source of sudden noise!
      Best of luck and talk again soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @barnacle

Here at TT is common to have nearly unmaskable T. I can hear my T everywhere, except the shower. In my opinion, it just makes more challenging the habituation, but not impossible. I think that I am getting there after two years. It is a long journey.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Sorry about your wife, hopefully it wasn't tinnitus related.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      That's my tinnitus. Am I used to it? Honestly, no. But after almost two years it's getting a little better. I don't know if it's because of time going by, if it's the supplements I use, if it's just my brain getting hardened to the tinnitus, if it's the audio notch therapy I tried last year and am trying again this year. Whatever the reason, it's improved a lot from the first eight months which were hell, a constant 9/10 or 10/10 every single day, all day long.

If you're curious about the supplements: bioflavonoids, magnesium, melatonin. There were many others I've tried, but eventually settled on those three as seeming to be the most beneficial to me.

That's a shame your wife left. Some people just aren't capable of coping with someone who is suffering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I just had this happen to me, got better in about a week, try not to overthink it. My girlfriend also left me after I got T. Screw her, I'm better without that B*tch. You'll be ok ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Hi Thanks for your response. Hearing it everywhere but the shower sounds hard.I hope the habituation continues to work out for you and that you soon get to the end of that long journay and to a happy place. Will join you there for a beer when I get there too I hope!
      All the best

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Hi Chaza
      Nice to hear from you. Hope T book is going well. I think I have been falling pretty fast the last few days but have just had long chat with friend about doing some voluntarty work advicing people on employment law problems and that kind of thing. I think having a positive project will give me a little bit of purpose. At the moment, I just sit and stare at the computer all day like a zombie and beat myself up about what I should have done differently (not that zombies are known to beat themselves up!).
      Glad you are starting to do better with the T. Will look into the supplements you mentioned. My main one at the moment is chocolate!. I think you are right about some people not being able to cope with someone who is suffering. Though beinga nurse, you thibk she might have had some idea!
      Look after yourself.
      Rupert

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Thanks. Glad that your's went away and will keep fingers crossed for the same. Aye, was kind of like a test. Better to find out now that she was not the person I want to grow old with. If I can shake the T depression, I hope to meet some one else (and someone quiter!).
      Cheers

13. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Thanks for remembering the T book in progress! I have plenty of days where I sit and stare at the screen because I can't focus and can't remember what I researched from one minute to the next. I feel lucky if I can write 4 to 6 pages a day, meaning a 10-hour day. That's only about 1800 words. Before tinnitus, I could easily write 1,000 words an hour. :( I swear, chronic severe tinnitus can cause brain damage, and I don't say that lightly.

Many people advise against sugar consumption, but if that doesn't affect you, more power to you. I hope you're eating dark chocolate and getting the benefit of higher serotonin and dopamine levels. You probably already know this, but for anyone who might not, dopamine is an important inhibitory neurotransmitter than serves to tamp down the neuronal excitotoxicity that contributes to tinnitus. Did you know you can increase dopamine levels if you're a chocolate lover simply by thinking about chocolate?

I suppose a nurse learns over time to be immune to suffering; otherwise they can't objectively do the best job for patients in their care. But a husband is not a job. *grumble grumble*

14. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I had it pretty bad. I even started a thread here when it happened and a lot of people gave me a shoulder to cry on. (My Girlfriend Said "It's Not Cancer, You're Acting Like a Child" and Broke Up with Me). I decided that was going to be my low point, started CBT and some time after that I forced myself to join Tinder and go on some dates. Don't wait for the Depression to resolve, try to do something about it ;)

15. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Best advice I ever got: "If you want to start a book start with 2 pages every day."