Raging Tinnitus Back! Spike? GERD Causing It? Nexium? What the Hell Just Happened?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ChrisfromCanada, Apr 12, 2017.

1. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Back to Square One?

4.5 months now with T from a ruptured ear drum due to an ear infection.

The past 2 months my T has been tolerable after many changes to my diet and lifestyle. I cut out caffeine,alcohol, junk food, salt, sugar you name it. I stopped taking Nexium and any other meds I was on with the help of a naturopath who put me on natural remedies for my GERD. I have been on Ativan for anxiety and sleep on a daily basis for 3 months but it didn't increase my T, in fact it helped me sleep which in return lowered my T.

Everything was going good, I even started to taper off of the ativan as I didnt want to be on these pills forever. The taper was going great but I got to a point where I started feeling uncomfortable and my anxiety increased big time and so did my GERD so I updosed a bit to stabilize and I'm good again. I started to work on fixing the GERD by eating lots of apples, I have been taking glutamine every morning for 4 months as well as probiotics for 4 months, I take apple cider vinegar organic from the mother every day but stopped as it was hurting my stomach, I was drinking raw ginger tea but stopped as it was hurting my stomach.

I had no choice but to start with Nexium again. This is my 3rd day back on nexium and it still hasn't really done too much to the gerd but i know nexium takes a few days.

A few hours ago I took my nightly dose of ativan and fell asleep in almost a sitting up position with my neck sightly bent watching tv and I got woken up 2 hours later from ranging T.

I freaked out, I am very panicky right now, what the hell could've happened? Am I having a spike?

Could it be the nexium or could it be the acid reflux which was bothering the hell out of me before I fell asleep or could it have been the sleeping position. UGH!!! so frustrating!! I was really starting to think that my T might actually be temporary and may still go away and then wammo kick in the teeth.

2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ChrisfromCanada
      I am sorry to hear this, tinnitus is cruel.... I started having silent days every few days late last year and though mine might be going, but it's been a few months and I've not had a silent day for a while.
      Regularly for me, when I wake, my tinnitus is significantly louder than my regular day tinnitus. This seems to be if I want during the night after a few hours sleep, or if I have a nap. I obviously notice it if I have to get up to my babies or go to the toilet...
      for me, this seems to be connected to sleep. It's very strange. Without fail, when I go
      back to sleep it has reset to my very quiet morning tinnitus when I wake.
      Has your's gone down now?

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @ChrisfromCanada It's common for tinnitus to be loud after sleep it's all due to your brain shutting down when you are asleep. Try not to panic. Hard not to I know. But it's quite common for this to happen.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @Samantha R thank you for the response. Yes thankfully it quieted down. Not back to baseline but not as bad a s last night.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection

Hi @Richard zurowski .Normally sleeping quiets down my T. The level has gone down and now is the fun part figuring out what the heck caused the spike and how it settled down so quick. I'm still a few notches higher then baseline but the original spike was the loudest I've ever heard my T