Random Tinnitus for a Few Weeks Now

Discussion in 'Support' started by Erin1997, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hey all, I've posted before but it is time to post again.

Background info: I am 19, and a few weeks ago my tinnitus has changed to a steady buzzing/electrical sound in my ears, sometimes alternating sides. Before, it was a very very slight ringing in my right ear. Now it is more noticeable and a buzzing.

I have OCD and anxiety issues which definitely do not help.

It originally began after my third acne medication, and after a huge period of stress in my life. When it changed to buzzing, there was nothing out of the ordinary that I think could have caused it. I did have a really bad cold before it though. But since the cold there has been no other signs of the cold lingering.

I do not use headphones, and my ears are not subjected to loud environments much. I went to the ENT and my hearing was fine, I passed my hearing tests. Also they checked for fluid and by using pressure and they did not find fluid.

I hear clicking in my jaw when I yawn and my eustachian tubes seem to make noise when I swallow.

What do you think could have caused my tinnitus?

2. alleycat

alleycat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi @Erin1997

Maybe you have TMJ causing it or ETD ? Do you have jaw pain? Any feeling of tired/strained muscles around your face/neck?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress

I was thinking TMJ because my jaws click when I open my mouth or chew... not much jaw pain or anything though. Maybe some discomfort in certain spots when I touch and apply some pressure. My face and muscles do not feel so strained or tired... but I can get tense.
      ETD I was thinking maybe because of some clicking noise around the Eustachian tube.

Could these problems just resolve on their own?
      Thank you so much for responding. It really means a lot

4. alleycat

alleycat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi @Erin1997

for TMJ, it usually needs help to clear on it's own depending whats causing it. I had to get a custom made mouth splint bc I was clenching my jaw not knowingly. You can start with a soft foods diet, making sure you're not tense, and maybe trying acupuncture. There's also physical therapy available for TMJ.

For ETD- I'm not too familiar, but I think people usually have to get some sort of nasal spray.