Reaching Out for the First Time

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Keith in Mass, May 31, 2018.

1. Keith in Mass

Keith in Mass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, since at least the age of four. (47 years and counting.) It’s a constant, high-pitch noise, like a smoke alarm. It gets steadily worse, and in the past year it’s become an irritating vibration as well as a noise. I’ve tried many, many therapies and ‘cures’, to the point where I no longer have any hope of getting relief. But I need to cope somehow. (I have a family, and as much as I want to end my life, it would be selfish to cause them pain to end my own.) I will likely always live with this, and possibly always be depressed, but maybe I don’t have to feel as isolated as I do now.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi Keith,

I'm actually somewhat relieved to hear somebody else experiences it as a vibration. I do as well, and so masking sounds don't work very well for that. In fact, they can sometimes make it worse.

I'm new to tinnitus, but am currently doing a wide variety of energetic therapies that help me cope with the vibration (and sound). They actually work fairly well, and help me keep my sanity. But, they work only relatively short term, so I spend a fair amount of time doing them, especially when things worsen.

Some however, are fairly simple, and don't take a lot of time. But they key is to find the ones that actually work. I've considered posting some of my exercises, but it doesn't seem this forum is necessarily orientated towards them, and I didn't really want to expend time and energy if there isn't much interest.​

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Keith in Mass For the vibration have you tried some soft low volume pink music such as a running stream? Not sure it you developed hyperacusis, but vibrations are sometimes due to lack of sound. Do you have hearing loss? I was born and lived in Mass. for half of my life. I be willing to work with you if you like.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith in Mass

Keith in Mass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you both. I'd be very grateful for a link to anything about the 'energetic therapies'. I'm actually very fortunate in that I live with a waterfall directly below my bedroom window. I also wear masking devices that produce a very helpful white noise, like taking my waterfall with me where ever I go. I have no hearing loss, and I've only just heard the term 'hyperacusis' yesterday, so I haven't started any research about it.

• Like Like x 1