Reactive Tinnitus — Musician

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jim96, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Jim96

Jim96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov '16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Hey guys, I've had tinnitus and mild H for around 3 months. Initially extremely quiet, but after the first week a noisy train ride spiked it permanently, and then again around 3 weeks ago, not sure why, but suspecting its because what I'm about to write. Anyway, my main issue/query is about playing guitar. I dropped out of first year university to pursue music, as it's all I'm interested in. When I play certain notes on guitar now or hear certain notes in music, I get a strange sensation in my ear, like mild discomfort/change of pressure (hard to describe), and additionally hear a sound over the note, like a soft bell that fades in then out when I cease the note. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, as I really can't deal with giving up guitar, but I'm worried that every time I play it, I'm worsening my tinnitus because of the sensations I'm feeling, and I think that could of been what caused the second spike. I can deal with the tinnitus(although I hate it with a burning fucking passion), but I cannot deal with giving up music, it's what I live for...

I just wanna be able to crank up ma amp and run my fingers across the fretboard in an ignorant bliss of an all encompassing noise ;(

Please advise me on any similar experiences you've had, what you done about it, and if the reactive element improved with time. Thanks :)

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Your spike should settle back down but your ears are telling you they are not happy with some sounds from your guitar.
      This could be due to sensitive ears or music to loud.
      I would not crank up your amp and play it practicing with no amp and when connect your amp keep it low as possible for a few months and see how your tinnitus is then.
      After that you need to use noise reduction plugs when you play your guitar over 80db and not belt it out as could put your ears in danger of perminant problems...
      ...lots of love glynis

3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      This sounds like noise induced damage where certain frequncies that involves the most damaged hair cells or nerves that reproduce them "hurt" when they are activated and you get that stange foggy sound and pressure sensation in the ear. I have this too at around 4khz and a few other notes here and there but it's getting better , albeit very slowly.

I think that it can get better over time but it will take a lot longer than you think - perhaps 3 to 4 years , and any loud noise exposition during this healing period can immediately set you back .Make a habit to carry good ear muffs and plugs with you and be patient.

4. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
    5. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Jim96

Why don't you go to an audiologist and get an in-depth test (to 16KHz)? You might be at the early stage of hearing loss, and it will be reasonable to get a baseline audiogram that you can check later.

6. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      See an audiologist and ENT, but I agree with @glynis that your ears aren't happy with the guitar sounds you're hearing. Use an app to find out how loud your guitar is. If it's above 85-90 dB for a long period of time, you could def cause harm to your ears. Maybe try getting musicians earplugs.

7. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      How loud are you playing?

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Take it easy on the ears (also musician here).

9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I don't know if you're ever going to be able to crank it up all the way, maybe some of the way.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/