Reactive Tinnitus and Amplification by Tensing Jaw

Discussion in 'Support' started by GingerWinner, Jan 10, 2016.

1. GingerWinner

GingerWinner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea!
      Hi there,

I've just signed up today so thought I'd put up a quick post.

I don't know how long I've had tinnitus for. I remember having a ringing in my ears after going to gigs or nightclubs like I think most people do, but then I guess one day it just didn't ever stop. It's something I've grown used to but I have recently started paying it more attention because it's now getting much worse...

Whilst it's always present, I find that now it's aggravated quite aggressively by sounds generated from electrical devices. Not just lound sounds, but things like watching tv on a very quiet volume or using an app on my mobile with a few beeps like 'Peak' or 'Lumosity' now has the same effect that 2hrs of Iron Maiden used to have 20 years ago!

It's so frustrating now, as the vast majority of the things I enjoy doing involve some sound from from a tv, computer or phone. It's the feeling that by doing these things that I am making my condition worse that I find really hard to deal with.

The other thing that I notice is that by tensing my jaw muscles I can amplify the tinitus quite dramatically which seems a bit weird as to me as that implies that there is a muscular element to it. Is this common?

Anyway, that's me... I've joined this community to try and find out as much as I can to ensure that I am doing everything that I can. I am fully aware that it is likely that I will just have to accept it but I owe it to myself to get whatever insights or advice I can, and this looks like a good place to start!

I should also say that if sharing my experiences can help anyone else then that would make me very happy.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences and can offer me any insights.

Simon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jahhsoul
      Curious

Jahhsoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/24/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown (not acute acoustic trauma).
      "The other thing that I notice is that by tensing my jaw muscles I can amplify the tinitus quite dramatically which seems a bit weird as to me as that implies that there is a muscular element to it. Is this common?"

This happens to a lot of people (me too) and seems to have no conexion with the etiopathology of the T but im not sure about this.

• Like Like x 1