Reactive Tinnitus??

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tom Cnyc, Jul 27, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Hey all,

I recently noticed that when listening to certain music, in this case George Winston (solo piano), some notes leave a "feedback" ring in my left ear; it's as if someone verrrrrry quick put a mic near the speaker, almost an echo to the piano note (thankfully it stays in key). I haven't listened to much music, but have not noticed this effect at all with any other music in headphones, or any TV show, etc.

My CBT (who deals with many tinnitus patients) says this is a layover of the Hyperacusis that I had in the first few weeks and expects this to fade.

Is this "reactive" T?

Have any of you dealt with it? It's kind of annoying. Today I have almost zero symptoms, yesterday and Sunday also - like a .03 out of 10, but this is there pissing me off.

2. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Reactive tinnitus is when certain frequencies causes your tinnitus to become louder. I don't know if "feedback" phenomenon is part of it....

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have this too. Certain tones in a song sound like a super loud beep that I had never noticed before. I think it's misophonia maybe? Like we are so freaked out about the tone we hear in our ear that we are looking for it everywhere. My air conditioner and fridge all sound like a high pitch ring now. It's insane.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      this is a bit different. I hear a note a 2350hz feedback during silent moments in music if a similar note is hit. I realized today while doing ACRN this is the same note that I hear if I plug my ears or when I put my head against the pillow.

5. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accustic tramma due being too close to a fire craker when I was a kid
      Tom Cymc

George Winston, you have excellent taste in music, I'm impressed. I love all of his material. I also like Jim Chappell.

Yeah. I have reactive tinnitus too, just with specific sounds, like if I'm watching a movie on TV, and there is a seen in a hospital where they have a person laying in bed with a heart monitor going beep beep, and the sudden it goes flat nine with that long Beeeeeeepppp. I will hear that beeeep tone until I wake up the next morning. I have no idea why ? I think that may be the tone where my ear damage is at. No matter how loud the TV is, that tone just really sets my tinnitus off. It is interesting.

Louie

Quietatnight

6. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've got most of Winstons records. Been a fan my whole life. I'll check out Jim Chappell when I'm at work Mon. Thanks.

7. SilverSpiral
      Worried

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I have very similar, basically sounds produce ringing frequencies now, boiling water in an open pot, rain, cars driving by, all produce a ring at at the same frequency. I have it in both ears, but it is worse in the ear that i have fullness, and constant tinnitus in. That is one thing.

In addition to that I have where if there are people talking on the tv, and there is background music, the background music will be distorted and resonant.

In addition to that if I listen to music by itself, it creates the ring that all sounds do, but more rings at certain frequencies, one as low as 2hz.

FML

8. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Does anyone get burning pain with reactive T?

9. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi @Tom Cnyc and @SilverSpiral I was just wondering how you are doing these days!

I seem to have something similar to what you guys have: some sounds produce a sort of feedback tone, a loud 'uuuuuuuuu' which usually stops when I shake my head, gently pop my ears or produce another sound. The sound is always at the same frequency and quite loud.

Lately I have also been hearing this particular sound when there is no other noise to set to set it off, for example in bed, especially when I lie on the ear which produces the sound. When I lie on my other ear it usually calms down.

To be honest I find it incredibly distressing and am scared that one day it will just get 'stuck' forever. :( Especially since it has gotten stuck for hours on end in the past.

I've had this reactive tinnitus off and on for almost 4 years now. My other tinnitus sounds (which started after taking anti-depressants) have quietened a lot since they appeared about 5 years ago, but this 'reactive' tinnitus seems to be sticking. (n)

Any other experiences with this type of tinnitus?
      Maria

10. Starthrower

Starthrower Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      One of the most difficult situations for me and reactive tinnitus is in a group setting with several people talking and usually one will have an annoying voice and one will talk loud. And then background music.

My tinnitus is the sounds of screeching metal and in that situation above the noise level increases dramatically.

I avoid such situations as much as possible.

11. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi @Starthrower, I feel your pain. I also find it difficult to enjoy social gatherings because of my tinnitus. I always wear ear plugs, even in restaurants, but that makes it harder to follow conversations and amplifies the tinnitus.

12. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yea reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis. I can't listen too music at all as it just sounds broken.
      This afternoon I though I would "try" and have a go at music lol

Loaded up Metallica - the unforgiven. FLAC - Low volume on a Sonus sound system but enough to hear it. Sounded like broken biscuits lol It sounds like there music s a constant rattle in the background of music like a broken speaker. I turned it off before I launched the remote threw the tv screen.

I would say my hyperacusis has pretty much faded now as traffic noise and plates being rattled together don't annoy me now. Most of my issues I believe come from cochlear damage and lost higher and lower frequencies therefore nothing sounds the same and music sounds like garbage.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    13. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      worst case for me is hearing babies cry . OMG my nervous system get immediately into panic mode , so I wear some earplugs virtually invisible that filters out only mid hi freq so when I talk or listen nothing is lost , they just protect from overwhelming sounds .

14. SilverSpiral
      Worried

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      @MariaH

Shaking my head wouldnt stop the reactive tinnitus for me, and i've never had the reactive tinnitus resonances stick for hours like you mention, if you are describing what i think you are. Basically I have constant tinnitus (two tones in one ear, one tone in the other, the ear with 2 tones is much louder, and also feels heavy or "kicked in").

Then theres reactive tinnitus i have in the way that doing something moderately "loud" (like walking in the rain) will cause the constant tinnitus to be louder, this may last for the rest of the day or so.

But the other "reactive tinnitus" I refer to is basically as i've described, certain frequencies of sound produce a loud resonance, rather than properly hearing the sound, it's basically like a distortion in hearing. Most notable in music, crowds, etc sources of sound which have a lot of details/layering of volume and frequencies. I'm not sure what the proper terms are to differentiate between the reactive tinnitus where the constant tinnitus gets aggravated for hours after exposure to moderate everyday sounds, versus the weird resonances i hear on top/in sounds.

I'm not sure which of these three things are worse. I hope they all get better so badly.

Yours sounds similar but a lot of your symptoms are different as well, but that may be expected as mine is acoustic trauma induced, and not medication like yours. What have you been told by professionals about yours? I hope it doesn't get worse for you, in fact i hope it gets better for all of us.

15. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi @SilverSpiral

Thanks for your message. Professionals seem to have no idea what I'm talking about. o_O

I just find it so strange that the sound I hear is created/affected by other soft sounds, and even by head movements. Last night though the sound was there pretty much all the time, even without external sound. Its all a big mystery to me. My tone is a very 'electronic' one if that makes sense. Almost some kind of short circuit in my brain.

Like you I hope it gets better for all of us!

How long have you had this 'heavy' of 'kicked in' feeling for? Have you noticed any improvement since it first started?

Take care
      Maria

16. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @MariaH
      From your description I suspect that you have hyperacusis. Some people say they have reactive tinnitus but I believe this to be hyperacusis. There are different levels of severity for hyperacusis just like tinnitus. If hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) has never been treated, a person will always have problems with sound. Using earplugs in the manner that you're doing, can make your ears more sensitive to sounds. Please click on the link below to read my article on Hyperacusis and Habituation, which might be helpful.
      All the best
      Michael
      If you listen to music through headphones I don't advise it even at low level.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/answers-to-hyperacusis-and-habituation.12058/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Thanks @Michael Leigh for your reply. I have just read your article.

I have wondered about hyperacusis too. I agree with you that I probably overuse earplugs. However, the sound I also 'presents' itself when there are no other external sounds. I also don't understand why it will sometimes disappear for months and then return with full force... and why it will disappear for a while if I gently 'shake' my head. Its definitely not TMJ though. There also seems to be no correlation with the noise levels I expose myself to.

It might just remain a mystery. (n)

18. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Do you still have this? Atleast with continous T I could listen to music lol.......maybe I should start listening to bass music only because 1000hz triggers the feedback tone lol...so annoying

19. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection
      I have the same as you it is so strange. For what it's worth my ontologist said that's because the hair cells responsible for that frequency are damage and they lost a lot of dynamic which means that they saturate more easily which is why we hear them louder over over sounds. He told me to rest my ears as much as possible and gave me plugs that only filters certain frequencies which I should wear all the time. I don't know if he's really right though.

But last time I was almost a week in total silence and when I went on a trip I had almost none of the loud noises but then my friend invited me to the theater and now they are all back...

20. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection
      If someone find somethings that make this better please share it...

I'm starting with suplements and I'm also going to try antivirals and lasers.

This reactive T / misophonia is really annoyin for me as even m own breathing and voice creates it on bad days...