Really Struggling Now

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karl28, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      So right now I'm going through a really bad time :(

3 weeks ago I had a cold which made my ears fill with pressure for most of the day which I just couldn't pop and it was like that for a week. I was freaking out because I had never experienced that from a cold before but I was relieved after a week when I got better and that pressure problem went away.

But then after I got better from the cold and the pressure went away my right ear started ringing extra and got a new high pitched noise in it.

I've had many spikes of various types over the years which can last usually a few weeks to sometimes the extreme being a few months.

However this spike in my right ear feels different.

Well after a week with that right ear still spiked I tried taking some prednislone to see if that would help because when I took that stuff a few months ago to help with my eustachian tube dysfunction that really made my tinnitus go down (although it didn't help with the eustachian tube problem that much at the time which was disappointing)

After 6 days of that the results were that it didn't help that spike at all. Maybe a few days it softened it but it didn't make it go away but for some reason I feel like it just made my eustachian tube dysfunction worse (which in turn allways makes my tinnitus worse due to the blocked up feeling) which is weird since that's usually prescribed to help it.

So now it's been 2.5 weeks and my right ear still feels fucked from this spike and I'm freaking out and in constant despair. And i'm worried that maybe I should have just left it alone and not taken that prednislone. Usually when I've been waking up in the morning the past few days my right ear sounds pretty good but eventually this spike will appear after a few hours. But on Monday night I took a sleeping pill and now when I wake up it's roaring and I'm freaking out even more thinking maybe I was making progress but I keep making bad choices with this and screwing myself over.

Sorry for the rant I'm just really upset.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Karl28,
      It will be from your cold still as our ears are the last part to settle down so please try stay calm and relax as that wont help and cause anxiety.

First try a towel and hot steam in a bowl as that will help clear your sinuses and tubes out and help your ears and twice a day for two days and you can try a basic mucous linctus also to loosen up any gunk hanging around in your tubes.
      This should help a great deal ...lol glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way :(

The prednisolone and worsening of your ETD was probably just a coincidence. And if it all started with a cold (as opposed to exposure to loud noise or something), it'll probably resolve itself. Even if it takes a while.

Actually, I also have ETD and I have had this "blocked up feeling" and dulled hearing for the last few weeks. My t also screams in the morning (and wakes me up at night) although I can usually get through the day without being bothered by it too much.
      I try not to worry about it all... Spikes, ETD, blocked ears, painful ears, muffled sounds... Whatever happens happens and I'll just try to make the best of it. I know that that may be not very helpful advice, but... what can I do? :)

No need to apologize for the rant btw :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ceroc

Ceroc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea...part of the ageing process, I guess!
      Hi Karl,

I really feel for you....but keep the faith...my daughter-in-law rang me after her first acupuncture last night and apparently there is a good success rate with curbing Tinnitus and recommends it for mine. Don't know what you have tried so far as I only joined Tinnitus Talk on the w/end and not sure what other postings you have put on here. The setback with acupuncture is that it is expensive...here in England £50.00 per hour. However, if it works, the relief must surpass the cost. Hope your day continues to improve....deep breathing, visualisations and affirmations sometimes work for me. Thank goodness for tranquilizers when needed!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown