Rebecca Alexander — A Source of Burrowed Strength

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by kmohoruk, Oct 15, 2018.

1. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Hello everyone,

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I felt this was the best category for this.

I have followed Rebecca Alexander's journey since I developed moderate tinnitus and mild hyperacusis (i.e. hearing sensitivity) 4 years ago. Recently, I am currently dealing with a spike - definitely the biggest spike since my original large onset of tinnitus and hyperacusis. When I’m in this type of mind space, and need extra support, I often reach for strength from people who are inspiring - or have over come large challenges of their own. I often use this burrowed strength to keep me going - until I’m able to support myself once again.

Rebecca’s story is quite the inspiring story - despite the mountainous hurdles that she has had to overcome. She has Usher Syndrome Type 3a, which is a genetic condition that means she will lose hear hearing and vision. Currently, she has about 10% of her vision (like looking through a straw). She has two cochlear implants that will give her a form of hearing for the future - she also has loud tinnitus as well. However, through out all of these challenges she is a successful psychotherapist, author, and extreme athlete. She recently just completed a hike up Mount Kilimanjaro!

Her wonderful book “Not Fade Away” is not only a thoughtful, honest, and beautiful read - but it shows the very real human side of having a visual/hearing disability. It gave me so much support, honesty, and motivation to continue four years ago - even with the challenges that lay ahead.

I’ve posted a video clip from one of her most recent interview on the Today show, as well as from a Ted Talk that she did a couple of years ago. If you do a google search, you can see some of the other interviews that she’s done as well.

https://www.today.com/video/this-wo...her-vision-and-hearing-1208254531700?v=railb&

H.E.L.P. - Humanity's Essence, Living...

I hope that this story can help someone on this forum like it has helped me :)

• Like Like x 2
    2. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      I bought her book too a while ago. She is very inspiring. Especially because she too started to go through her ordeal at a young age (like me).

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Yup, that was also something that I also related to as well (getting tinnitus at a young age). It definitely makes you feel like you’re not alone in all of this.