Recent Left Sided Tinnitus and Acoustic Neuroma

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Musiclover, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Musiclover

Musiclover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all, just wanted to share my story after getting loud tinnitus in left ear only and failing an audiogram (hearing test) in that ear. It has been about 4 months of constant ringing just in my left ear. Absolute hell. GP referred me to ENT. He gave me the hearing test and set up an MRI to rule out or diagnose the obvious demon of single sided hearing loss with tinnitus symptoms—the dreaded acoustic neuroma tumor. I can tell you that waiting for the MRI was pure hell. Here in Canada these things take time. It took me just over 3 months to get it. I was a nervous wreck the whole time, researching neuroma and wondering how my life would change, what surgery I might need, the complications etc. Finally got the MRI a few days ago and the results today. I was pale as a ghost walking into the docs office. To my surprise, the MRI was clear. No neuroma. No masses. So for anyone who is suffering this same symptom of one ear tinnitus (really damn loud too) and/or hearing loss of any kind, please do not do what I did, which is google neuromas and start expecting the worst. It is absolutely possible to have these symptoms with no acoustic neuroma. Hope this helps someone.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      Happy to hear that your MRI was uneventful. I just received my results last week and nothing of significance was found in mine either. As odd as it might sound, part of me was hoping that something would have been found so I can know what's been causing me hell the past 10 or so weeks.

Do you plan to search and find the cause for your tinnitus? If you do, this website has a wealth of information that will be beneficial to your research. Good luck and I hope your tinnitus fades to silence!

3. robsart

robsart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just stumbled on this post. I have one ear ringing with hearing loss. Did an ABR Test this week and it came back normal. ENT said the likelihood of a tumor was very low. He wants me to retake hearing test. ENT said he could give me an injection in my eardrum. Does this sound similar?

4. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Hi, I would like to hear if you have had any developments. I too just a couple a weeks ago experienced a sudden total hearing loss in right ear with pretty significant tinnitus now, with no apparent reason for it. That day I started a steroid regime with so far no improvement. Still a little early for me, but my hearing loss is so complete in that ear that I am becoming pessimistic about a recovery. My main concern now is the tinnitus. Lemme know how your turned out. Thnx, -J