Recently Dx with Meniere's Disease

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chris Btay, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Chris Btay

Chris Btay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 26 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hello Everyone,

Three days ago I was diagnosed by the ENT with Meniere's. I have been dealing with on/off vertigo and ear fullness for a month before i was diagnosed with MD. It has changed my life in many ways.

Only a month ago i am very active, i play 2 basketball leagues, i run regularly and hike every month. I also have a very lively social life. I go out every weekends with my friends we would drink, eat.. just splurge.

And then the ear fullness came. I thought it was just earwax but it wasn't. my GP thought it was infection, but it wasn't. The ear fullness is coupled with buzzing/static sound that is very irritating. And also i would lose low frequency hearing. All i can hear are high pitched sound which are also irritating. They are on/off until now. I have missed my basketball games, i am not able to do running, and i never go out anymore.

Days i am able to go to work, i'll be exhausted by the end of 8 hours. When i reach home all i want to do is get to my bed and lay down. I have to will myself to eat and drink water. The dizzinesss is exhausting. I can't eat the regular food i used to eat. I have limited my sodium intake to less than 1500mg per day. I have completely removed caffeine and salt. I have not had any beer in a month. My diet includes salad and unmarinated meats. no more soda and coffee. and chocolates. no more chips too.

I have developed anxiety when i learned the disease has no known cure. Every attack of the disease i would be reduced to tears. I would cry by myself or sometimes i would call a friend and cry on the phone. I have problem sleeping too because of this. I would fall asleep but after an hour or two i would wake up all sweaty. And putting myself back to sleep is almost impossible after that. And all i can do is follow this low sodium/caffeine diet. Which puts me in this diseases mercy... whether it would cooperate or not.

My friends and family are supportive of me, always give me encouraging words but i still feel that they don't understand what i am going through. I know MD is not life threatening but it's incapacitating. You know you have the arms and legs to walk and do things but the disease just wont allow me to use them. Im always either exhausted or dizzy. I can't move my head fast or turn my body around 360 degrees fast or else i would fall.

Actually, today is one of the rare days that i'm 90% okay. I only have slight dizziness and my ears dont feel full. I can hear normally but the tinnitus is constant. But i can tolerate this condition. I pray for more days like this.

I'm hopeful that diet can manage the symptoms. I don't know what to do when the disease attacks again.

I still have an MRI and Audiogram scheduled tomorrow. I'm praying for good news.

Chris

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Hey Chris,
      has your MD recommended any meds for MD like Betaserc or something...?
      They don't make things much easier but they do help. It's good you're scheduled for an MRI although I doubt it will show anything.
      Good luck whatever happens...

• Genius Genius x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Chris,
      I also have Menieres and had it many years and know what your going through.
      I take Batahistine and proclorperazine.
      We have a Menieres thread on the forum you might find helpful too...lots of love glynis

4. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Check out some of the youtube videos of Ryan Adams and what he did to combat his menieres.. Also, Dana White (ufc president) underwent treatment in Germany with success. Hang in there man!

• Like Like x 1
    5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Providing his medical team with an undisclosed and probably unlimited supply of money, uh-hum.

Also, I've seen some of Dana White's interviews, whenever someone asks him what they did to him, he never discloses anything useful but goes to say that it was proposed to him by someone who knew Kobe Bryant and some other nonsense.
      I'm pretty sure he signed a titanium-sealed NDA doing (probably) stem-cells in Germany.

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm pretty sure he just did orthokine.

7. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why so bitter mate, was just helping OP out with a bit of encouragement. Take a chill pill with that shot of ouzo.

8. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      This seems like a procedure for arthritis or some related issues (that's why mostly athletes go for it).
      Apparently has some mild anti-inflammatory elements to it, but completely treating menieres?

It's unsafe to drink when taking CNS depressant pills. If I didn't know better, I'd think you'd be trying to have me killed.

(just kidding I always drink when taking barbiturates, just not ouzo)

9. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @undecided
      I am sure a nice cup of retsina will not kill you ;-)