Recommendations for a Good Noise Machine?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Helgabje, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Helgabje

Helgabje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earplugs/unknown
      Hey guys!
      Does anyone know about a good noise machine? Preferably with rain sounds?
      I know very little about them (noise machines) but I have been listening to rain sounds on YouTube recently but I can’t have my computer by my side constantly! :)
      An amazon link for a good noise machine would be even better! Also not too expensive
      Best regards

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The best sound machines are made by: Sound Oasis. They are specifically made for people with tinnitus. I have three models. The S-5000, S-850 Travel, S-650 is the one I recommend. Please read below my post on sound machines.

Sound Machines

I have recently been asked about the benefits of using a sound machine after someone read my post on another thread, please find it below.

Sound Oasis makes the best sound machines in my opinion and they are specifically designed for people with tinnitus although anyone will benefit using one. The quality of their digital sounds will be far superior to any homemade sounds that you compile if your intention is to use them for sound enrichment.

A sound machine can be used night and day but do their magic best when we are in deep sleep. It supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time, the tinnitus is pushed further into the background making it less intrusive and will make the path to habituation easier.

I have three Oasis models. The S-650 is very popular and the one I usually recommend people buy. It comes with a variety of sounds on two sound cards. Additional cards can be purchased. The S-850 travel, is more expensive and compact. It has 18 on-board digital sounds and doesn’t use cards. Some people might be bothered by the clock’s blue backlight at night-time. It dims but cannot be turned completely off; the S650 backlight can be set to switch off automatically.

My S-5000 deluxe, was bought over the Internet and is their best model. It is much larger and sophisticated than the others and can only be mains operated. They use a three-speaker system, that has a subwoofer for increased depth and definition to the sound. According to Oasis, over 140 on-board sound combinations are possible. They have FM/AM radio and an external sound source can be selected via the auxiliary input. There are a host of other features.

The purpose of using a sound machine is to have it playing in the background without drawing attention to itself unlike a radio. For this reason, music mustn’t be used at night for sound enrichment, as it will draw the Brain’s attention and delay habituation.

In my opinion and the advice of Professor Pawel Jastreboff, developer of TRT. Sound enrichment particularly at night should be used by anyone that has intrusive tinnitus. I would go as far to say, it is imperative to do so if you want to help yourself. Over time you will get used to having sound around you both during the day and night. I find it strange to be in a very quiet room now having used a sound machine for so long.

Michael

Sound Oasis website: https://www.soundoasis.com/s-680-sound-machine-alarm-clock/

PS: Many people have contacted me after they have habituated to their tinnitus and stopped using sound enrichment at night, only to find their tinnitus becoming intrusive again. The rule of thumb: avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using a sound machine.

• Like Like x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Helgabje

Helgabje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earplugs/unknown
      Thank you, this is very helpful I’m buying the s-650 :)

Best regards
      Helga

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The S-650 is a great choice and you won't be disappointed.
      Best of luck with.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      you can download the mp3 of a youtube video and put it on a mp3 player. Use headphones at your own risk

• Like Like x 1
    6. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I use Homedics sound machine. It has white noise, water, nature sleep therapy, different tones and volumes.

I love it, I can not sleep with out it. But in general there should always be background noise as it helps with tinnitus.

Also, I use fans to get by the day.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Helgabje

Helgabje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earplugs/unknown
      Thank you, it came with the mail today and trying it out for the first time tonight!
      Best regards, Helga

• Like Like x 1
    8. Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music