Recovering from a Cold — Cracking and Negative Pressure in One Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fangen, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hello guys!

I've had a few colds since my onset so I know that a cold can make tinnitus spike and make the ears feel clogged and pressured.

I am recovering from a cold now and I had clogged ears and all that, perfectly normal. Two days ago I was blowing my nose (not hard, there was plenty of mucus so didn't have to blow very hard), usually I put a slight pressure on the opposite nostril to ensure that I get it out properly. Suddenly I hard like a big cracking noise, think like how it sounds like when you take a piece of a paper and crumbled it. I got really scared and it seemed like it didn't do much (maybe slight odd feeling). It is worth mentioning that earlier that day I was drinking tea and felt a pain from my jaw to my ear. I drank some more and the pain kept coming until it finally really hurt and seemed like my ear was unblocked a bit. I think that my jaw was stiff and got loosened up (I slept a lot so laid on my side a lot) and that made the ear open up.

Today I was blowing my nose again, and not very hard but gentle like last time. Now I felt like the eardrum was going inwards (sounds weird I know) and then my ears felt really blocked. It was slowly going back to normal (feeling full but as you might feel during a cold). No cracking noise this time but it was a very strange sensation.

Is this something I should check up or does anyone know why this happens and if I need/can do something about it?