ReExposed

Discussion in 'Support' started by dfw, Nov 28, 2016.

1. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      just as I was doing ok, I happened upon someone banging 2 metal pipes. 3 times in 10 seconds, too quick to move away and bam. The T exploded in my left ear and has been going non stop at a higher pitch than before. Even now have some in my right ear, previously, none. Started steroid pack within 36 hours. Low dose, but I may go to an ER tomorrow to see if they can up the dose.

Was able to sleep with the other, now that ability is gone. So out of 5 nights, I have slept through on one of them. Using .25 klonopin each night. Tonight I slept 2.5 hours.

This is just too much, not sure how I can hang on. As I sit here with my partner of 30 years asleep along with our fur babies, I really want to make it, but my cries of desperation are getting more frequent and louder. I just don't know how I can make this one, it's got me so down, but I can't bear the thought of this everyday for the rest of my life. Assuming I have about 25-30 years left.
      Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated at this moment

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think the spike will settle down for you in time.
      See your doctor for help sleeping as melatonin might help or a short course of sleeping tablets.
      Have your hearing checked and see ENT and audiology if it does not settle.
      Keep an eye on your mood and if finding yourself having depression you can get support with counselling and medication.
      Try to relax and keep posting for support and try off load any stress...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Things like that will happen, you'll have to accept them at one point. I know it's hard, I'm in the same sinking boat ! But you did what you had to. Go to the ER if you feel the need to.

But don't forget this : you have to relax in those moments. It's not at all what you want to do, I know, but I can tell you we can make things a lot worse by panicking when a situation like this happens.

• Like Like x 1
    4. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      dfw

First of all, it's VERY doubtful that you did any damage to your hearing, so try and get that thought out of your mind. Pipes banging for that short amount of time, is both not loud enough, and no where near long enough. It's not like you went to a Rock concert for 5 hours, now that could be a problem. You MAY have a slight spike, and dwelling on it is only going to magnify your perception, making it seem a lot worse then it really is. I don't even think you needed the steroids, but you know, if taking them helps lower your anxiety then that's a good thing. I have been where you are many many times before, and I'm 35 years older then you, and I can tell you there is a VERY good chance that you will be fine in a few days. I know it's a little tough now, but try and get as much sleep as you can, that really helps a lot. It's gives your ears and mind a chance to reset, that's what I do lots' and lot's of sleep. This is going to pass, be back to your baseline and forgotten soon. I would not suggest upping your strength of your steroids in the middle of taking it, I'm NOT a doctor, but I don't think they would even do that anyway.

Please try and stay calm and busy, distraction is your best medicine right now, you will be fine.

Wishing you good luck

Quietatnight
      Louie

• Like Like x 1
    5. JSalvatore
      Studious

JSalvatore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Had one of those spikes, settled down two-three weeks after. Try to keep calm and don't lose hope

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      Thanks all!

So, now, I get that "spikes" are normal and they continue kinda forever?

Still don't know how all this works, so new to this and yes, somewhat frightened. I know that my perception is going to magnify it significantly, so there is the problem. It's reality versus what is being directed by my thoughts. My constant feeling is like "medicine head" kind of a ringing but muffled in the head. Was able to sleep a couple more hours so, 4.5 it is for the evening.

So, yes an ent appointment Wednesday and if necessary an audiologist on Tuesday of next week. If this is here to stay, I have to feel I'm doing something or I'll just go crazy. I know she may tell me to try and let it settle in, but if there are things that will help that process, I guess I'll go for it. Did any of you use assist devices to help you get habituated.

Thanks---I hope I get to a place in the near future to help others in this forum.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Audiology might supply you with white noise generators/WINGS or hearing aids if need them.
      I wore WINGS in the beginning and now duel purpose hearing aids...lots of love glynis

8. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      @dfw Yeah, spikes are a crappy and depressing fact of life for T sufferers (currently going through one myself) but they always subside eventually. Don't worry too much about the sleep, you'll get enough one way or another. I use SleepPhones in bed with quiet sleepy music and find they really help. Cats are very calming too :):cat:

• Like Like x 1
    9. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      What is "medicine head" :p

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      Medicine head is defined as

Having a fullness in your whole head and kinda spacey with stuffed up ears. Comes from when you would have a head cold & taking all the medicines to try and feel better.
      Because in my short experience with T, I have had that feeling along with massive headaches most of the time. So mine is not ringing in the ear(s) alone but combined with all this other stuff. That is a hope & curse at the same time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Ahh I see! Could it be ear infection?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      Kinda wish it was. As of 2 weeks ago it wasn't.

Ya, the headaches are a tough one as I don't know if it's the tension & anxiety I've placed on myself with T or a partial causation of the T. Or major stress, tension and anxiety.

As I said earlier, my biggest issue is my inability to sort out reality versus my mind/body on these type issues. Mind body issues are real, but they originate in the learned neuropathways of the brain. When my mind zeros in on something it stays, hence my noticing every change in the T big or small.

I'm kinda excited and nervous on a hearing test Wednesday. It would confirm to my mind if there was damage, as Quiteatnight said, there is great hope of none. (Anxiety) My one from 2009 was identical to the one a month ago.

Oh, yes IreneO, our fur babies are the calming joy of our lives.

Glynis, if the noise stays up at this level I am looking real close at the neuromonics. I really liked their iPhone app, although not much after I took the phones off, it did a great job of keeping my mind clear while I was wearing it. I could cook, and move around without much thought. I did not wear it today and seems in a much worse place, but that could be a sleep issue as well.

Thanks again for all the support. Just reading you all and being able to respond back is great therapy for me now. As I said I really really want to get to a place where I can be of help to someone on this site.

• Like Like x 2