Refocus Is the Key

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hope and Love, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Hope and Love
      Relaxed

Hope and Love Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nerve deafness from birth, or from neck/jaw injury
      Hello Everyone,

I am a female 60 years of age and had tinnitus in both ears since eight years ago. My doctor told me it most likely is caused by being born of nerve deafness or possibly caused by a neck injury. It was very difficult dealing with the constant noises 24/7. It was driving me to nearly insane. But a year later I started having imbalanced issues and my focus on the tinnitus was lessen a great deal to refocusing on my imbalanced problem by retraining my brain with rehab balanced exercise program. It was during this time I noticed that I was not paying much attention to my tinnitus problem and I just learned to tune out any noises and my noises are loud to say the least. I started researching online about tinnitus after this and came across some good sites on how to managed your problem.

This site was one of the few that I have really appreciated and learned from. Tinnitus is different for everyone and I think in the end the real key is to learn to tune out or refocus your thoughts elsewhere. Most days I barely hear the noises and try to surround myself with other outside noises like TV, windows open, keeping busy, etc. And if the noises get loud I just refocus and try to forgot the whole thing and keep going about my day or sleep. Sites like this and others are a real help to get us on the road to better manage our tinnitus situation.

I was wondering if anybody on this site has tinnitus as a result from being born deaf (hard of hearing)?

• Like Like x 5
    2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Hope,

You are 100% right... the key is not to focus on tinnitus and just keep occupied. :)

• Like Like x 2
    3. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @Hope and Love ,
      Welcome to TinnitusTalk! I hope you find support here. How much hearing loss were you born with?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hope and Love
      Relaxed

Hope and Love Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nerve deafness from birth, or from neck/jaw injury
      Thanks Mike and Lorac,

Bear with me on this posting...I am not sure if I am posting in the right place. If I am please advise me how to post a reply correctly.

I am totally deaf in the left ear and the right is probably about 50%. I am not really sure because I never asked my hearing doctor about how much loss I have. I wear a hearing aid on the right only.

I wanted to post my story here to give some encouragement to all those that are going through the dreadful T. This thing will eventually take less hold of your mind as you gradually habituate to it. Everybody habituates in their own time...my took a full year. If you are finding it very difficult to deal with the T, this site is good to air your thoughts and fears to others that have gone through the same thing. Things do get better, trust me, I have been there. One of the other information/advice is some good books at your local library on the T. Or you can look on amazon and get some information just by reading the reviews on the books...you don't need to buy them. But if you wish to buy one, make sure it is one that has a very good review on it. I found that books and reading other people's experience has helped me get through this terrible affliction. When I went to my hearing doctor about my situation I was very disappointed that they didn't have any kind of counseling program for people going through this kind of thing. So, the books and reading was my only hope to learn how to get pass this.

My two hugs to all those reading this. ;-)

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. snow47
      Cold

snow47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think pressure to jaw. I don't know.
      T is problem, But for me blocked ear and headache is big problem, I can't forget about them.