Relapse

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Jun 9, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. jeremy06
      Bored

jeremy06 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma habituation worsening 5/04/2016
      Hello
      Since 2 months I am back to baseline after a year of don't giving a ... about my tinnitus.

Baseline or even worse because now I m having a lot of dark ideas and the worse part is the only one to blame it's me !

My tinnitus is now a lot louder and both ears !
      Every day I beg for help my wife, my parents .... But they can't do anything for me grrr!!!
      I don't see any way out of this nightmare !

I'm taking Trobalt but for now I don t see any improvement !

I cannot forgive myself for this aggravation the first time I didn't know but this time .....

Is there someone who habituated after worsening ?

Any advice will be welcome !

2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sorry to hear your tinnitus is louder and your in a bad place with how you feel.
      You for through it before and I promise you will do it again also.

Give it time and don't put any presure on yourself and play some relaxing background music in to help take your mind off the sound.
      Your emotions might be all over the place but stay calm as stress and anxiety will ramp up your tinnitus sound.
      Give the medication time to workk about 4-8 weeks and if you don't feel any better go talk to your doctor to see what he suggests. .....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @jeremy06 . Hi. I've relapsed four times in just over three years It's weird because there's times when you think your getting the better of it and it doesn't bother you. bang it hits you again and all you do is constantly think about it. is it worse is it louder . Well it takes time but you will get used to it your brain excepts it in the end . My tinnitus is loud at most times of every day. But I've excepted it now or my brain has it just doesn't bother me any more . I've had three years of constantly thinking about it. If you get angry with it It's a whole lot worse so try and except it . It's hard I know. But what else can you do there's no cure out there. Hope this helps you in some way.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What have you tried so far? There are a lot of different treatments. Don't give up.

5. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      I've relapsed several times. It's as if I forgot about my T, which sounds and is wonderful, but then rediscovered it. Each time, since I had been using WNGs, and had been tapering off of their use, I went back to using them most of the day. Within 2 to 3 weeks I was usually back to 'baseline'. I've tapered off the WNGs almost completely now and haven't relapsed in about 6 months or so. I still hear my T of course but it isn't generating anxiety and I am able to change focus to my daily activities and stay there most of the time.

6. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      This is the natural clinical course of tinnitus. I have had tinnitus in both ears approaching three years and from time to time, it gets overwhelming and it can be quite difficult to get things back under control for a while. There is rule about tinnitus - when it is quiet, it will get louder....BUT, when it is loud, it will also get quieter. It is our emotional state that determines how loud we perceive the tinnitus. After all, it is not a 'real' sound. It is being generated by our auditory brain and has no actual volume. Our brain simply perceives it at a certain volume but we can habituate to it. There are worse things to have and tinnitus will not kill you, it will not shorten your life and you can learn to live with it and regain normal life functioning. The first step is to take back control, get treatment for any anxiety, depression and poor sleep. You are not alone and we have all been there.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Tinnitus won't kill you ? Define ''killing''..It won't kill us physically or shorten the life , only it may not be the worst thing that can happen to a human being in ultimate state of suffering. How many of us here are depressed / have a hard time because they worry that Tinnitus will shorten their life ? I can't think of anybody so I don't see the relevance of such advice. We mostly care about the quality of life we have left rather than how long it will last and if there's no escape from loud T may it not last too long -that's how most people think..
      @jeremy06 , what happened ? are you sure the worsening would be permanent ? I believe the only thing that can cheer us up is the conviction that it will get better.. it can get better, just by itself, just thanks to your brain ignore it a bit more in time, by taking some drugs ( even if I'm not in favour of Trobalt ) . I 'm going through a relapse too and I know what you feel. Same with me,I was doing really fine.. I got back the control of my life and now I'm worried sick again the spike will never set down. It's not my emotional sacks. IT's setback that influence my emotional state,as simple that. Meanwhile, we have to live, with pleasure or not , but there's always hope for this condtion to improve, so keep waiting and hoping and meanwhile keep on living and doing what you have to do. One day you'll wake up and it may be better. Try whatever options there are..try different diet, sports, cleaning of organism, whatever anybody ever mentioned as helpful. Reconsider the risks that goes with taking Trobalt..have you tried other things ? maybe GABA pills ? It' s only my opinion but I don't think Trobalt is worth the risk..

8. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Gosia:

I said that tinnitus will not kill you as opposed to all those people who have terminal illnesses. Of course it is quality of life but the more you focus on your tinnitus, the worse it will seem and the harder it will be to habituate. The 'relevance' of my advice is to provide a logical structure for how to deal with tinnitus and to move forward to attain a better quality of life. I have treated many people with tinnitus so I have the experience of 100's as well as my own. While it might appear somewhat trite to say 'to move on, you actually have to move on', it happens to be true. There are no supplements or medications that will 'cure' tinnitus so the way forward is to deal with the consequences (poor sleep, anxiety, depression) and then learn how to live with it. I mean 'learn' and it will take a cognitive shift to do this. For some, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) from a suitable-experienced psychologist is worth considering (by the way, I am not a psychologist).

Good luck.....

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      I agree with @Dr. Ancill that during the course of tinnitus living, there are going to be setbacks, spikes in loudness or pitch, and can morph into different tones or frequencies, even jumping ears. That T is quite unpredictable adds more fear to those who suffer from it. We tend to feel we have lost the control of our life and the anxiety and stress can build up to cause the brain to perceive T worse than it is.

The OP didn't specify what caused the spike. There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including drug reaction or side-effects, ear or Eustachian tube infection, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, TMJ, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma, neck muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from flight, grief for the loss of love ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc. If you can nail down the cause of the spike, perhaps it is easier to help bring the T back to more tolerable level. If all else, consult with the doctors or ENTs and of course you can always get some meds to help out the anxiety, depression and sleeplessness. As Dr. Ancil says, once these problems are dealt with, T can perhaps become lower or at least the brain will perceive it as less intrusive. Try to read the success stories too to give you some hope and comfort. If you haven't yet, try mask your new T level so T will not bother you so much. Take care. God bless.