Relatively New to Tinnitus...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andy Venn, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Andy Venn

Andy Venn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Evenin'

After having tinnitis for a couple of years, on and off, it now seems to have developed into a full time condition. I saw a doctor in the summer last year, who was very unsympathetic. She told me that it was good news that it was in both ears, indicates I haven't got something serious in my head, but the bad news is that there is nothing that can be done about it. Thanks doc!

So, as it seems particularly bad tonight, I thought I would search for info and ended up here. I can now spend some time looking through posts here looking for any hints and tips.

I have Amazon Echos all over the house which I use to play various white noises, which helps to a point.

Regards
      Andy

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you have a history of noise exposure, loud music, loud cars, certain medications, TMJ or cervical issues?
      Those are common causes of tinnitus.

3. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Hearing test done? Wax in ears checked? No middle or potentially inner ear infections?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy Venn

Andy Venn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I worked in a flour mill for 30 years, noisy place. Always wore the proper ppe, audiology tests every year etc. Never a problem. I left there 2 years ago and that's when the problem started. On and off at first but for the last 6 months, or so, it has become constant. A high pitched whistle, which this evening is so loud it almost hurts. Doctor is pretty uninterested, as I said earlier, just dismissed it as something I will have to live with.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Sound can enter the ear through both the ear canal and the middle ear bones via vibrations, and ofcoursee excessive exposure for 30 years is sure to do some damage.

Hearing test used at most audiology clinics and ENTs are extremely inaccurate, they only test for hearing loss within the human voice range, learn more here about hidden hearing loss and how it can lead to tinnitus and noise induced pain as well as difficulty hearing in background noise.

http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/

upload_2018-12-7_17-10-50-png.png

entma18-plack_fig-2-new-png.png

research cited:
      https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595516302507

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Just to mention, many people report getting or exacerbating their tinnitus with devices like routers, smart meters, even late model vehicles with all the electronic wifi gizmos. That stuff just isn't good for vulnerable ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. jeas

jeas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 25, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck
      @Lane
      How to people get tinnitus from these devices? This is all new to me. Should people with tinnitus avoid these things?

Thanks!

9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @jeas -- I'm not sure how exactly this works, but my best guess is that these wifi/emf signals irritate the brain and neurological system, which in turn irritates the ears, and some of the major nerves in them. I expounded a bit more on some of my perspectives in THIS POST. -- Best!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. jeas

jeas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 25, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck
      @Lane Thank you! I'd image it would be pretty hard to avoid these signals in every day life. Kind of a bummer.