Remeron (Mirtazapine) — Does Anyone Have Problems with It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bob bauer, Mar 10, 2017.

1. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      My ears are still blasting away, I take 15mg remeron, 2mg lorazepam and 15mg restoril. Does anyone have problems with Remeron?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Has anyone heard of remeron causing sudden hearing loss?

3. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi Bob,
      Try doing a search on this forum for 'Remeron' and you'll find a lot of information. I'm one of the people whose tinnitus became worse after taking Remeron. A few years after I quit taking Remeron things starting improving for me though. Personally I would never touch antidepressants again.
      All the best, Maria

4. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I started getting a lot of body twitching after starting remeron. Haven't touched the drug since and the twitching has disappeared. That said I think body twitching is a side effect of remeron that is quite common when starting dosage and they say it calms down after time. I found it quite scary though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Anyone get tinnitus from mirtazapine? Mine is worse now from mirtz or the two benzos, lorazepam and temazepam.

6. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      What do you mean by "worse"

7. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think mine got aggravated from mirtazapine. I've been taking it to be able to sleep for a long time now, but only in very small doses - like a crumble out of one pill (so like 2,5-5 mg). Not long ago I tried upping the dose, in order to try whether it would help my anxiety. So I slowly took my dose to 15 mg. I think there was a quite clear increase in my T volume - no new noises or anything, just somewhat higher volume. It would have been worth it, if it cured my anxiety or something, but as it did not help anything, I went back to using it as sleeping aid. The spike I got lasted a couple of weeks maybe, but wasn't permanent.

I think it may have something to do how these medications affect serotonin. There was new research information just months ago that serotonin may worsen tinnitus. It's a bit scary news for some of us, but I think it's better to know and discuss it with doctor than just use medications without knowing the effects. All in all, I think minor increase in T would be worth it if it meant I would be healed from anxiety, OCD etc.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Mine is worse now because it's louder and I have the morse code sound too. I'm trying to taper the remeron.

9. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I am sceptical about causalities, my T-intensity varies considerably from day to day and I have not yet found any connections... (food, sleep, medicine, weather, stress...).

10. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've been taking it on and off for years. I take a quarter of 15mg every other day and a little temazepam sometimes. I think the mirtazapine makes the electrical static sounds worse for me. My ears have worsened a lot over the years which could have happened anyway or could be related to the mirtazapine and sleep aid combo. Who really knows? I just know that I need help with sleep so I can keep working to support my family. I wish I was completely free of meds but am on very tiny amounts now and not taking every day. But I need sleep to cope. My tinnitus is insanely loud. I can't sleep with this electrical storm in my head, without some help every other day.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Do you having beeping morse code sound.?

12. Giacomo1967

Giacomo1967 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      There's only one clinical case reporting sudden hearing loss after taking one pill of 30mg.

• Informative Informative x 1