Replace Broken Crown or Extraction?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamie51367, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Jamie51367

Jamie51367 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental work or med withdrawal
      Just found out today that a molar crown is cracked. To replace this, will require 20 minutes of drilling. Would prefer extraction to avoid making my tinnitus worse. I asked if he could do 5 seconds on and 10 seconds off, and he said yes. Do the math on that, for 20 minutes...I am just learning after years to cope with it. I am disabled too in my spine. If it makes it worse, I could lose my job, be bed-ridden, suicidal, etc. I think an extraction on a good tooth is crazy to most, but they don't get it. The dentist even said he had a new drill that did not make that high pitched sound, but it is the internal bone conduction. Oh, this was all from eating an almond. Thanks!

2. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Do you have severe reactive tinnitus? Dentist drills are not normally loud enough to result in actually hearing damage. Extractions are not without risk, so if the tooth under the crown is good, I would be tempted to keep the tooth and have the crown replaced.

3. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I had to have a crown removed because it was cracked and they put a new one on. It was in a back molar on the side that my tinnitus is normally on. I was pretty nervous and had a spike for a few days but everything settled.

4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      If you have the tooth pulled you'll need a replacement for that tooth. A gap will make your teeth shift and ruin your bite on the long run.
      So what are the options to replace a tooth? 1. A bridge which will require drilling on 2 other teeth. Those 2 teeth will be ruined too
      2. An implant - guess what an implant will also need drilling

To make a long story short. You need to get that crown replaced. Pulling the tooth will not save the problem but create other problems. It's always best to keep your own tooth and there is no way you can escape from drilling on th long runs with getting this tooth extracted

5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I had the same problem two months ago. I chose extraction because the tooth was really difficult to save (infected and maybe cracked at the root), but I regret it every day. I will never know if it could have been saved.

Implants are expensive, not so great in the long run, and it takes 6 months to a year and many appointments to get the new tooth. Very frustrating.

Save your tooth. I wish someone told me to do so. Do the drilling in several appointments ? Maybe take NAC and magnesium before and after (for a few days), so your inner ear will be stronger.