Ringing in Ears Plus Low Fog Horn When It's Bad

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by The Baron, Aug 7, 2018.

1. The Baron

The Baron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, pro drummer for 40 years but worse w/Lyme 2005
      63 year old former pro drummer, had tinnitus since early 90's. Playing since '68, started wearing ear plugs in '88, played most nights thru 90's into early '00's, when it got so bad I can't play professionally anymore. Tick bite at a blues fest in '05 sealed the deal. Just watched Rick Beato's video here, astonished that his is a) intermittent and b) caused by antibiotics. Never heard that connection made.

I was on antibiotics for a year in '06, lost a lot of hair but never thought about it damaging my hearing. I'll be perusing the info for a while, wonder if that's why it got so bad. Probably @90db's at preset, only playing once or twice a month.

Always wearing plugs and keep a set of over the ear gun range headphones in my case for loud sets. The day after is tolerable, 2 days after a gig is intolerable for days. Strange that there is a delay, I know its ringing in the brain not the ears but the delay might be a clue. The low fog horn, intermittent after gigs is crazy making, masking is all I can do.

Haven't been able to use headphones or ear buds since the 90's, cannot listen to music most of the time, luckily I enjoy podcasts so there is something on to keep my attention.

Thought I was being neurotic with the podcasts always on till I realized I was masking with it, not the sound but distracting my brain. Recall the good old days when my ceiling fan cranked up to high was loud enough to mask the sound, not anymore.

Awesome to find a community, will be checking out all the links. Stay strong, y'all.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Baron

The Baron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, pro drummer for 40 years but worse w/Lyme 2005
      I was on Doxycycline for over a year, my doctor did not pulse to give my body a break, I thought the only damage was hair loss and a challenge to my kidneys, the concept of an ototoxic is brand new. I was playing full time while I was on ABX, so that may be a contributing factor. Thanks for the info.