Ringing Is Driving Me Crazy...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tracy Kelly, May 22, 2015.

1. Tracy Kelly

Tracy Kelly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2015
      I received hearing damage in both my ears over a month period operating heavy equipment with broken windows,that I asked my supervisor to get repaired several times. This happened in Feb of this year.The ringing in my ears I believe is going to drive me crazy.I was working out of state When I went to an Urgent care, they told me I had ear infections.I was put on antibiotics and it just didn't help. I quit my job and returned home to see my family Dr..He referred me to a sent Dr that ran all the tests and diagnosed me with the tinnitus and hearing damage..He said there is nothing he can do about the ringing that overtime I will get used to it....I don't see how,It is driving me crazy....

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      It really does take a long time, took me about a year and every time it spikes I have to get used to it again.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Doctors prescribing antibiotics for acoustic trauma :(

4. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      The antibiotics Must have been for ear infection

• Like Like x 1
    5. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Yes. An infection from operating heavy machinery.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I will trust the doc who looked inside the ear of the patient and prescribed necessary meds.

7. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I hope the doctor made the right decision. Given the history we got and the fact that it was an ER doctor makes me question this.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tracy Kelly

Tracy Kelly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2015
      I did go to to an ear nose and throat Dr that did the final diagnosis....

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure

Welcome to TT, Tracy. We understand what you are going through as many here were where you are now. This is the toughest phase of T suffering, when the new alien sensation is rejected by the brain but there is no means of getting rid of it. The brain reacts in fear and panic to this 'threat' which it cannot escape from. Now this new 'threat' is causing the limbic nervous system to take over and you function in fight or flight mode which tends to amply each bad sensation.

Try to read as much as you can about T and about success stories here on TT. The more you understand T and learn others' ways to live with it, the more confident you will be able to live with it or find treatments which can help reduce the ringing. You operate heavy equipment and develop T. Your experience is very close to what a member @Jade has gone through. She said she can hear her T over the 800 tons heavy truck she drives, and a large % of her colleagues have T but don't suffer. This is her success story and how she learns to cope with T and still functioning in her job. You can tag her to ask her questions too after reading her story. Take care and God bless your recovery.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/6-months-tinnitus-still-going-strong-but-so-am-i.3226/

• Like Like x 4
    10. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello Tracy,

The first months of T are the hardest, I found it very hard to cope initially and it drove me insane, I just could not stop seeking it out and listen to it.

Just hang in there, I promise you that it will get better, it will take some time but you definatly will get there, trust me.

It took me 10 months to get some relief and start to enjoy life again, the ringing is still there but it does not bother me anymore, it is just a sound. Alot of the time I don't even hear it and I used to hear it every waking minute, nothing could mask it.

You will habituate to it eventually, in the meantime try and get as much distraction as you can to put your mind occupied with things you like to do.

Do not be afraid to seek proffesional help if you think you need it.

Take care.

• Like Like x 6
    11. diver
      Inspired

diver Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving, Drinking, Vestibular Hit 12 years before onset
      mine comes and goes no salt salt is bad mine started 10 years ago took 3 months went away would come back for a day here and there and go away . Came back a month ago with a vengeance after diving with slight head cold very loud one day then a whisper the next then very loud then a whisper been going on for a month slowly getting better prednisone made it worse Salt def no GOOD!! today was a good day but now seems to slowly be ramping up whewww going to drink some water and relax.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tracy Kelly

Tracy Kelly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2015
      I didn't know that Tinnitus would come and go like that, as for mine the ringing is there all the time, it has never gotten better or worse.It is coming on a year now that my ears started ringing and still driving me crazy...

13. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Mine gets louder when exposed to noise, sometimes spikes while sleeping at night, and is usually quietest in the morning after a good sleep. The hiss is constant, it seems, but the ringing gets louder and quieter.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tracy Kelly

Tracy Kelly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2015
      Mine is a loud constant ring, I think it would be worse if it changed from quiet to loud.....I do know that it needs attention....trying to ignore is the best medicine.....

15. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      You're right, Tracy. Trying to ignore the noise really is the best medicine for tinnitus.

Other than that, you might want to try some natural supplements that have helped some of us. I use magnesium chloride tablets, and they help me stay calm when I'm anxious about my tinnitus. Also, you might consider trying NAC (N-acetylcistene). It may help a little bit with the intensity of your tinnitus, plus it helps protect your ears against further damage. I've been taking both of these supplements for quite awhile, and they seem to help.

As time goes on, your mind and body will become more accustomed to this new level of sound, and you'll be able to tune it out a lot better. Habituation is possible; when you habituate, you can still hear the sound, but it doesn't bother you as much any more.

Take care, give it time, and do just what you are doing now. You're on the right track!

Best wishes,
      Karen

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tracy Kelly

Tracy Kelly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2015
      Thanks, I will look into the supplements.....

• Like Like x 1