Rooibos Tea (Redbush Tea) — Calming, Rich in Medicinal Benefits, Caffeine Free

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Sep 9, 2012.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Rooibos Tea on Amazon.com

I have switched from decaffeinated green tea (still has 30 mg of caffeine) this past week. My tinnitus has been calm since. No major flare ups. Could be a psychological effect of course since I am due for an MRI in a day or so! haha

All kidding aside, you may want to try Rooibus out for yourself and see if it helps. It may take a few days to show up in bodily benefits that are noticeable... or right away. We each are a bit different. (I would certainly hope so! ;) )

Tinnitus sufferers are told to drop caffeine from our diets. So, when I came across this tea I decided to give it a try. I am happy that I did.

It takes great too!

I drink it all day long. I even had no tinnitus sound for a couple of hours yesterday. It was refreshing! I also dropped some of my supplements this past week or so to see what would happen.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've got some "Get Heart" tea on hand, that has rooibos as a base. It also contains blueberry, hawthorne, and other natural substances. I got this tea at The Vitamin Shoppe. Hadn't tried any in quite awhile; I'll try it tonight and see if I notice a difference in my tinnitus.

Originally, I had bought this tea to lower blood pressure, but my blood pressure is now pretty well under control!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Oh wow. Interesting Karen.

Sounds beneficial for lowering BP.

4. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I found some Rooibos tea bags at Fred Meyer. It is Ecos Tea brand, organic/fair trade 14 bags $4.49. Directions say "steep a tea bag in 200 degrees water for 10+ minutes to get full flavor" (and full antioxidants out of it).

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hope you like it!

The Fresh and Easy rooibus tea I get locally is 2.79 for 20 ct organic.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tried the tea last night, and it may have lowered my T a bit.

A question for Calin: Did you notice that, after you drink this tea, you feel suddenly kind of hot all over? That's what happened to me last night, and my husband (who also drank some of the tea) experienced the same thing. Of course, the tea we drank does have hawthorne and other substances in it. The "hot flash" didn't last very long, just a brief thing.

Have you noticed this right after drinking this tea?

7. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I didn't notice getting hot but the box of Rooibos tea I have says it is "grounding, warming and balancing"

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warming it is! I'll try drinking some again tonight,and notice if I have the same reaction.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I still get a female hot flash or two every now and then so.... I probably haven't attributed it to the tea. I also drink it all day long. I do gt a warm sensation every now and then too.

My T is doing great ... still really consistently low mostly.

• Creative Creative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I definitely think it is all the above. My stress level is staying lower.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's great! I'm glad to hear it is working so well. I'm going to keep drinking it and see what happens.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      okie dokie!

You may want to get the rooibus tea without the added herbs so you don't overdo on them if you are drinking more of it. Just suggesting. ;)

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I agree. I'm going to use up the remainder of my supply, then try the plain tea. Thanks for the suggestion!

14. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      We've got a bunch of that in the office here. Funny old stuff, but I may give it another try.

I've been enjoying liquorice tea, though I have no idea what other effects it has, other than tasting great :)

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hey Dezdog!

I like licorice, but I stay away from that and the root products... it elevates blood pressure. :(

If you start drinking the tea, try several times a day for a week or more. Give it some time to work in the system. I drink it all day long. Usually one tea bag can go for 2 more cups.

Anything that can reduce the stress related to the T condition is helpful I think.

Let us know how it goes for you.

16. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      I didn't know that about root stuff. Bummer.

Thanks for the tea tips. :)

17. Faber

Faber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2011
      I joined this site today to try and help a friend. I gave him some Rooibos tea months ago trying to get him to try it for his tinnitus and relaxation, but he hasn't. I love the stuff. I am also going to try to get him to join this site. I believe it would be very helpful for him. He has had severe tinnitus, for about 8 months now, doesn't sleep and is going mad. On top of it he just had a kidney transplant 4 weeks ago. I have had what I call mild tinnitus my entire life so I hardly notice it, unless I listen for it or just before I go to sleep, but I don't go to bed until I'm falling asleep standing up.

18. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi Faber, welcome! Tinnitus is one of those things that you have to approach from multiple directions. There is no one size fits all in regards to treatment and most here use a combination of things to help cope with it-- whether it be meds, sounds, exercise, avoiding certain foods, supplements and tea. Tell your friend to join and be amongst other friends.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I wish you luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Ditto

21. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I tried Redbush (Rooibos) tea for the first time today. I was hoping that it would become a substitute for the normal tea that I had to give up (because it made my T go through the roof).

I sipped it thinking 'I may not like the taste but there's nothing harmful in it.. so let's give it a go'.

Just a few minutes later I felt really weird. I couldn't type and looking at the computer screen was really difficult. I wasn't panicking / anxious or anything... the effect was quite surreal.

I drank loads of water and had a cup of coffee - went and laid down for 10 minutes and gradually returned to normal.

I then searched the net to see if anyone else had a weird reaction to Redbush tea as all I had seen before were 'positives' - lowers blood pressure, antioxidents etc. etc.

I couldn't find anything that described the way it made me feel but, after reading a few fascinating articles about how antioxidents may not be as wonderful as we think...

"polyphenols are those wonderful plant antioxidants that are one of the main justifications for the supposed health benefits of vegetables, tea, chocolate, fruits and antioxidant supplements. The problem is, many of them are actually anti-nutrients. They reduce mineral absorption, reduce growth and feed efficiency in a number of species, and the antioxidant effect seen in human plasma after eating them is due largely to our own bodies secreting uric acid into the blood (a defense mechanism?), rather than the polyphenols themselves. The main antioxidants in plasma are uric acid, vitamin C and vitamin E, with almost no direct contribution from polyphenols. I'm open to the idea that some polyphenols could be beneficial if someone can show me convincing data, but in any case they are not the panacea they're made out to be."

...I then found a few which said that Rooibos can increase anxiety and give nightmares...

"I am sensitive to caffeine and so I started drinking Rooibos but I found it had a toxic effect on me very similar to caffeine. Sleeplessness and anxiety. There is no doubt about it, I monitored everything carefully. It was the rooibos tea that caused this. I don't know all the chemicals in it and the tea bags but I cannot use it anymore and I would never recommend it. Sad but true as I thought I'd found a tea I could use."
      from
      http://paleohacks.com/questions/1876/rooibos-tea-paleo-or-poison#axzz2JxPKPb3d

and

"I’m changing colour from my head to my toes, stuck in a shrinking room that is slowly spinning around. Purple-pink-silver-green-purple. The only visible means of escape is a very small window, very high up an unclimbable wall. Worse still, I can hear lions on the other side of the walls. The lions sound hungry, angry and determined.
      Lions are a common theme in my nightmares. Although they are always very hungry, they have never succeeded in eating me. Thankfully, I always wake up before they get me.
      Whereas I am prone to having very scary nightmares anyway, I have noticed that usually when I drink Rooibos tea in the evening, I do tend to have quite vivid nightmares - several a night. It happens frequently, and it’s starting to unnerve me. It’s a shame, because I very much enjoy a drink of Rooibos tea in my favourite teacup and saucer in the evening. I’m not sure if it is just a coincidence, or if Rooibos tea can encourage nightmares. Perhaps someone else has experienced nightmares after drinking Rooibos tea in the evening, not long before sleep. I wonder?"
      from
      http://mummylovestea.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/rooibos-tea-causes-nightmares/

It doesn't mean that it won't help others on here but that was my first and last cup of Redbush tea:coffee:

22. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I hope antioxidants arent bad Ive just bought a big pot full!

At least you're not missing out on anything with the taste of Rooibos, I remember thinking it tastes like bark, horrid.

Doesnt coffee affect your T Jane? Thats supposed to be really bad for it. I havent noticed it affect mine.

23. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hiya - it's decaff & it's really weak decaff - a nescafe cappaccino decaff to be precise :)

I still have 2 normal nescafe cappaccinos every morning tho - not decaff - and they don't affect it. I just miss tea so much - it used to be my main drink of the day. So now it's 2 coffees in the morning - a couple of decaffs during the day followed by tap water from the fridge & more tap water from the fridge - aarrghh. I don't drink alcohol and I have tried all the fruit herbal teas - they make my T spike too.. think it's the citic acid content - not sure. More than anything, not drinking tea seems to remind me that I have this thing wrong with me. I hate being reminded - it's bad enough having the noise (it's a screechy day today!) without having to give up my tea.

I could have got used to the taste of the redbush stuff but I felt as though I'd had LSD - really weird.

I hasten to add that the analagy to the effects of LSD is based purely on reading Aldous Huxley - not with actual consumption.

Hope you're doing ok Louise.

24. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jane -- I feel your pain! I'm a tea drinker, too, and I got myself off caffeinated tea in favor of decaf when my tinnitus got really bad. Lately, my tinnitus hasn't been as bad, and I find that I can sneak in some caffeinated tea every so often. Most of the time these days, I drink decaf tea, and lots and lots of water. The rooibois tea didn't have that strange effect on me, but then, I don't drink it very often!

Also, I used to be addicted to diet soft drinks, three years ago, but got myself off them cold-turkey when the tinnitus thing started. No more articial sweetners!

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Click, what brand of rooibus tea?

26. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      hi calin

it's a small red box with white writing - 'Redbush Tea Original' from The Redbush Tea Company Ltd, Covent Garden, London - www.redbushtea.com - described as:

"We are proud to be able to offer you our exclusive grade of the top 10% of the rooibos crop. All our products are naturally caffeine free and contain less than half the tannin of regular black tea. Tannin is a substance which can adversely affect your ability to absorb and store certain essential proteins and iron. No chemicals, colourings or artificial additives ever come near our tea."

It's probably just me - I react to may things that others can take... even antibiotics make me ill & vitamin tablets give me head fog (except for Synergy Pure Radiance C which has no additives). That's why I try not to take anything!

Jane

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      hmmm... seems like a reputable company. I use Fresh and Easy brand, Celestial Tea and Tega from Canada brands.

so sorry....

28. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Just spotted this - not too good today :(

So strange you can handle caffeine but not tea. Maybe its the tannins?

29. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Calin

Yes, Covent Garden is an extremely prestigious area and the company definitely produce the 'real thing'.

No worries - it's definitely worth trying these things!

I have found cinnamon to be really beneficial & my T is so low for most of the time that I musn't complain...
      although, having said that.. yesterday was a very screechy day.

I hope yours is still under control & you're getting some peace.

Jane

30. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Sorry to hear today is bad for you Louise. Yesterday mine was LOUD but somehow I managed without masking until the evening. Then it was Jim's rain that kept me sane, as it frequently has before.

Redbush is really low in tannins. But this was different - it was like just a touch of an hallucinogenic drug. Scary!

I can't handle normal coffee - only the nescafe cappaccino stuff. I tried everything quite a while back - all the different brands of tea plus all the brands of decaff tea - about a dozen different ground coffees and a whole load of instants - again both decaff and normal. Every single one made my T spike with ferocity. Almost as much as a cup of PG Tips does.

I suspect that Nescafe don't put much actual coffee in their cappaccinos :cautious: