Rooibos Tea (Redbush Tea) - Calming, Rich in Medicinal Benefits, Caffeine Free

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Sep 9, 2012.

tinnitus forum
    1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Rooibos Tea on Amazon.com

Rooibos Tea on iHerb.com (first-time customers get $5-10 off of their order)

I have switched from decaffeinated green tea (still has 30 mg of caffeine) this past week. My tinnitus has been calm since. No major flare ups. Could be a psychological effect of course since I am due for an MRI in a day or so! haha

All kidding aside, you may want to try Rooibus out for yourself and see if it helps. It may take a few days to show up in bodily benefits that are noticeable... or right away. We each are a bit different. (I would certainly hope so! ;) )

Tinnitus sufferers are told to drop caffeine from our diets. So, when I came across this tea I decided to give it a try. I am happy that I did.

It takes great too!

I drink it all day long. I even had no T sound for a couple of hours yesterday. It was refreshing! I also dropped some of my supplements this past week or so to see what would happen.

I will post some "facts" about rooibus for you below.

• Like Like x 1
    2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Red rooibos tea grows naturally in South Africa. It is well known locally and used traditionally for its varied healing properties. Also known as red bush or mountain tea, rooibos has no caffeine and creates a calming effect on the nervous system when consumed. Rooibos is high in nutrients and antioxidants and may provide numerous medicinal benefits.
      Caffeine-Free

Red rooibos tea is naturally free of all caffeine thereby making it an excellent drink for those who prefer to drink decaffeinated teas to relax. The tea has been used traditionally to help relieve insomnia and restore natural sleep patterns.

High in Minerals

Rooibos is high in calcium, manganese and fluoride, helping to build bones and strengthen teeth. It makes an excellent endurance drink because it is high in minerals such as zinc, copper, magnesium and potassium. In addition, drinking the tea may enhance proper kidney function due to its high concentration of minerals. Because it is low in tannins and oxalic acid, it will not promote the formation of oxalate kidney stones.
      Antispasmodic Properties

Red rooibos has a calming effect on the nervous system. Along with helping to relieve sleeplessness, it also provides antispasmodic properties. It is useful for relieving colic in infants and for eliminating other cramping in the abdomen.
      Slows Aging

Because red rooibos is high in antioxidants, it slows aging and promotes healing by enhancing the immune system. In addition, it contains certain nutrients such as quercetin and other bioflavonoids that increase blood circulation and reduce hypertension.
      Immune System Enhancer

Red rooibos tea is high in polyphenols, a group of antioxidant phytochemicals that provide health benefits. Drinking red rooibos tea may provide anticarcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and antiviral effects on the body. More studies are necessary to back up these claims, however.

3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Part 1:

Rooibos ( Pronounced Roy-Boss) is also known as red tea, redbush tea, bush tea, mountain tea, longlife tea, herbal tea or allergy tea, is not a tea at all but a herbal substitute for tea.The red bush is a native shrub of south Africa, where people have made tea from it for hundreds of years and is used by some tribes for medicinal purposes for treatment of hay fever symptoms, asthma, eczema and to soothe heartburn, ease the pain of stomach ulcers and relieve nausea.

Rooibos tea contains many flavonoids, free radical fighting antioxidants which are vary similar to polyphenols found in green tea. Two particularly potent flavonoids, quercetin and luteolin, rooibos also contains phenolic acids, antioxidants also found in fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Scientists around the world are working on Rooibos to gain a better understanding of this unique, South African herbal tea. Some are investigating the health benefits of Rooibos and its potential to combat a range of diseases, while others are trying to understand exactly how the bioactive components in Rooibos work.

Rooibos is caffeine free and low in tannins. It contains minimal amounts of calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium and much less fluoride than found in real teas.
      http://www.advanced-antioxidant.com/antioxidant-rooibos-red-bush-tea.html

4. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Part 2:

Rooibos Health Research in Scientific Literature [See Research References]

Scientific articles published over the last decade prove the therapeutic ability of Rooibos to fight cancer, protect the liver against disease, boost the immune system, as well as to relieve allergies and treat digestive disorders. The research studies summarised below show that the beneficial effects of Rooibos have been well documented and established in the international scientific literature.
      SUMMARIES OF ROOIBOS HEALTH RESEARCH FINDINGS FROM PEER-REVIEWED SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE

• Rooibos as a source of antioxidants and cancer-fighting and anti-ageing agents
      In 2003, the American Botanical Council published a comprehensive review of Rooibos research. It summarises the scientific evidence that Rooibos (scientific name = Aspalathus linearis) is a source of flavonoid antioxidants and protects against cancer, heart disease and stroke. The authors cite many studies showing that Rooibos contains antioxidants that have positive effects when tested as isolated substances and that the tea as a whole has good antioxidant activity in laboratory tests (in vitro). They list all the antioxidants found in Rooibos and confirm that Rooibos is the only known natural source of the antioxidant aspalathin, and that it also contains the rare antioxidant nothofagin. The review refers to several studies that have found that Rooibos contains polyphenol antioxidants that are potent free radical scavengers. [Free radicals (unstable molecules that have lost an electron) can damage the DNA in cells, leading to cancer, and they can oxidize cholesterol, leading to clogged blood vessels, heart attack, and stroke. Antioxidants can bind to free radicals before the free radicals cause harm.] The research captured in this review shows that fermented Rooibos reduces cancer-associated changes in animal cells exposed to the chemical mutagens (cancer-causing substances), and also reduces the cancerous transformation of mouse cells exposed to X-rays. Rats given free access to Rooibos over a period of 21 months also showed much lower age-related lipid peroxidation in the brain compared with rats that drank water. The review concludes that Rooibos appears to be safe and free of adverse side effects and "may help protect against free radical damage," which can lead to cancer, heart attack, and stroke. They add that more research is needed to confirm that these benefits observed in animal studies are also true in people.
      Reference for review article: Herbalgram, 59, 34 – 45 (2003)

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Part 3:

• Rooibos and cancer research
      Several animal studies around the world have confirmed the cancer-fighting ability of Rooibos:

• In 2003 a team of South African researchers from several universities and research institutions published a comprehensive study confirming that Rooibos can protect the liver against oxidative damage and mutagenesis (a change in the cell that may lead to cancer).
        Reference for supporting scientific article: J Agric. Food Chem. 51, 8113 – 8119 (2003)

• Rooibos protects against some forms of chemically induced liver cancers in rats: This was the conclusion of a study published in 2003, based on a collaborative study between researchers at South Africa’s Medical Research Council and other research organisations.
        Reference for supporting scientific article: Mutation Research 558, 145 – 154 (2004)

• The ability of South African herbal teas (Rooibos and Honeybush extracts) to act as “chemopreventors” in skin cancer was also highlighted in an article published in 2005, once again as the result of the work of a South African research team. They showed that topical (external) application of the tea fractions significantly suppressed tumour growth in mice with skin cancer, when using processed and unprocessed tea.
          Reference for supporting scientific article: Cancer Lett 224, 193 – 202 (2005)

• In 2006 several South African researchers collaborated to compare the potential of different kinds of tea (Rooibos, honeybush, black oolong and green tea) to suppress mutations, and thereby prevent cancer. Their results confirmed that the phenolic compounds in herbal tea extracts have a strong anti-mutagenic effect.
          Reference for supporting scientific article: Mutation Research/Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis, Vol 611, 42 –53 (2006)

• Researchers at the Medical Research Council and Stellenbosch University worked together to try and understand which compounds in Rooibos are specifically responsible for its antimutagenic properties. They found that the antimutagenic potency of the flavonoids in Rooibos is reduced during fermentation (oxidation).
          Reference for supporting scientific article: Mutation Research 631, 111 – 123 (2007)

• The ability of Rooibos to scavenge free radicals was confirmed in collaborative study between researchers in South Africa (Stellenbosch University and the Agricultural Research Council) and the United States (University of Mississippi). They also investigated the relative potency of the different antioxidants in Rooibos and confirmed that fermentation (or the processing of green Rooibos) decreases its anti-radical capacity.
        Reference for supporting scientific article: Food Research International 37, 133–138 (2004)

6. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Part 3:

• Rooibos as a treatment for stomach cramps and diarrhoea

• Acknowledging that Rooibos is widely used to treat gastrointestinal upsets, researchers in Pakistan, Canada and Germany joined forces to explore the mechanism of this effect of Rooibos. Their results, published in 2006, explain the biochemistry of how the flavonoids and other active ingredients in Rooibos achieve this calming effect on the digestive system and concludes that it is justified to use Rooibos for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders, such as gut spasms.

Reference for supporting scientific article: Basic and Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology, 99, 365 – 373 (2006).

• Rooibos recommended as a treatment for respiratory disease and to lower blood pressure

• Based on a study published in 2006, researchers at the Aga Khan University Medical College in Pakistan found a sound basis for the wide medicinal use of Rooibos. They found that chrysoeriol, one of the bio-active components of Rooibos, acted effectively as a bronchodilator, with an associated effect on lowering blood pressure and relieving spasms. They also state in the article that chrysoeriol is already known for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antitumor, antimicrobial, antiviral and free radical scavenging abilities.

Reference for supporting scientific article: Eur J Nutr, 45, 463 – 469 (2006)

• Rooibos protecting against liver disease
      Researchers in Slovakia and Japan agreed that Rooibos is a safe and effective treatment to protect the liver (also known as a hepatoprotector) in patients with liver disease, mostly because Rooibos is such a rich source of natural antioxidants. They found that Rooibos offers specific protection when the liver is already damaged or experiencing oxidative stress. They published their results and made this recommendation, based on a study of the effect of Rooibos on the antioxidant status of the liver in a rat study.
      Reference for supporting scientific article: Physiol. Res. 53, 515 – 521 (2004)

7. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Part 4:

• Rooibos restoring immune function

• Research teams at the Okyama University in Japan demonstrated that the active ingredients in a Rooibos extract restored immune-function in immune-suppressed rats. These results hold significant potential for future research into the immune-boosting properties of Rooibos that could potentially benefit people living with HIV/AIDS.

References for supporting scientific article: Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 65 (1), 2137 – 2145 (2001) and
      Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem 71 (2), 698 – 602 (2007)

• Rooibos as an anti-ageing agent

• Fascinated by the wide range of beneficial properties of Rooibos, Japanese researchers have also studied to potencial of Rooibos to delay the effects of ageing. They recently demonstrated its anti-ageing effect in a study with Japanese quails. These birds were given Rooibos to drink and also had ground Rooibos added to their food. The hens on the Rooibos diet laid more eggs and kept on laying eggs as they were getting older, compared to quail hens on a standard diet.

Reference for supporting scientific article: British Poultry Science, 49 (1) 55 – 64 (2008)

• Rooibos protecting red blood cells

• Rooibos inhibits free radicals in the blood stream and prevent them from destructing red blood cells. This was shown in a joint study between researchers in Japan and Slovakia, published in 2000. They used Japanese quails for this in vivo study and found that a boiled water extract of Rooibos, fed to the quails, protected red blood cells against hemolysis (breaking up of red blood cells).

Reference for supporting scientific article: Gen. Physiol. Biophys. 19, 365 – 371 (2000)

• Rooibos may help to fight allergies

• Japanese researchers at Showa University found that when Rooibos is consumed regularly as a beverage, it helps to improve allergy status, by boosting the production of Cytochrome P450, an important enzyme in the liver and many other tissues that helps to metabolise allergens.

Reference for supporting scientific article: J Pharmacol Sci 103, 214 – 221 (2007)

• Rooibos and honeybush: Protective partners
      A review of the bioactivity of South African herbal teas, published by researchers at the USDA Human Nutrition Research Centre on Aging in Washington DC during 2003, confirms that Rooibos and Honeybush differ in composition, but share potentially beneficial activities in laboratory studies. Several animal model studies are quoted showing that both herbal teas possess potent antioxidant and immune-boosting components, and that both can protect against cancer-causing chemicals.
      Reference for research review article: Phytother. Res. 21, 1 – 16 (2007)

• Like Like x 1
    8. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      She cautions that there is no scientific studies, but above you can see that is not so.

BHTV #18 - The Benefits of Rooibos Tea

9. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Calin, where can you buy this tea?

10. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I found it at Fresh and Easy Market. You can probably get it at any health food store, whole food store or on line. I also bought some from Swansons with vanilla in it! Yummie

11. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've got some "Get Heart" tea on hand, that has rooibos as a base. It also contains blueberry, hawthorne, and other natural substances. I got this tea at The Vitamin Shoppe. Hadn't tried any in quite awhile; I'll try it tonight and see if I notice a difference in my tinnitus.

Originally, I had bought this tea to lower blood pressure, but my blood pressure is now pretty well under control!

12. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Oh wow. Interesting Karen.

Sounds beneficial for lowering BP.

13. erik
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I found some Rooibos tea bags at Fred Meyer. It is Ecos Tea brand, organic/fair trade 14 bags $4.49. Directions say "steep a tea bag in 200 degrees water for 10+ minutes to get full flavor" (and full antioxidants out of it).

14. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hope you like it!

The Fresh and Easy rooibus tea I get locally is 2.79 for 20 ct organic.

15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tried the tea last night, and it may have lowered my T a bit.

A question for Calin: Did you notice that, after you drink this tea, you feel suddenly kind of hot all over? That's what happened to me last night, and my husband (who also drank some of the tea) experienced the same thing. Of course, the tea we drank does have hawthorne and other substances in it. The "hot flash" didn't last very long, just a brief thing.

Have you noticed this right after drinking this tea?

16. erik
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I didn't notice getting hot but the box of Rooibos tea I have says it is "grounding, warming and balancing"

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warming it is! I'll try drinking some again tonight,and notice if I have the same reaction.

18. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I still get a female hot flash or two every now and then so.... I probably haven't attributed it to the tea. I also drink it all day long. I do gt a warm sensation every now and then too.

My T is doing great ... still really consistently low mostly.

• Creative Creative x 1
    19. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I definitely think it is all the above. My stress level is staying lower.

20. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's great! I'm glad to hear it is working so well. I'm going to keep drinking it and see what happens.

21. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      okie dokie!

You may want to get the rooibus tea without the added herbs so you don't overdo on them if you are drinking more of it. Just suggesting. ;)

22. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I agree. I'm going to use up the remainder of my supply, then try the plain tea. Thanks for the suggestion!

23. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      We've got a bunch of that in the office here. Funny old stuff, but I may give it another try.

I've been enjoying liquorice tea, though I have no idea what other effects it has, other than tasting great :)

24. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hey Dezdog!

I like licorice, but I stay away from that and the root products... it elevates blood pressure. :(

If you start drinking the tea, try several times a day for a week or more. Give it some time to work in the system. I drink it all day long. Usually one tea bag can go for 2 more cups.

Anything that can reduce the stress related to the T condition is helpful I think.

Let us know how it goes for you.

25. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      I didn't know that about root stuff. Bummer.

Thanks for the tea tips. :)

26. Faber

Faber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2011
      I joined this site today to try and help a friend. I gave him some Rooibos tea months ago trying to get him to try it for his tinnitus and relaxation, but he hasn't. I love the stuff. I am also going to try to get him to join this site. I believe it would be very helpful for him. He has had severe tinnitus, for about 8 months now, doesn't sleep and is going mad. On top of it he just had a kidney transplant 4 weeks ago. I have had what I call mild tinnitus my entire life so I hardly notice it, unless I listen for it or just before I go to sleep, but I don't go to bed until I'm falling asleep standing up.

27. erik
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi Faber, welcome! Tinnitus is one of those things that you have to approach from multiple directions. There is no one size fits all in regards to treatment and most here use a combination of things to help cope with it-- whether it be meds, sounds, exercise, avoiding certain foods, supplements and tea. Tell your friend to join and be amongst other friends.

• Like Like x 1
    28. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I wish you luck!

29. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Ditto

30. Tommy

Tommy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Hi all,
      New to forum today. Only been suffering with T for about 6 weeks but it feels like a lot longer. Have a low droning
      60 - 80hz noise that travels from ear to ear day to day. Does this tea really help calm down the volume? I've cut out caffeine, sodas, pretty much everything i've seen on other posts and am craving a hot drink to calm down my stress that this condition is giving me. I found some at Boston Teas, the vanilla almond fair trade certified one looks interesting. I just wanted to make sure that it is really caffeine free and would most likely help my situation. Thanks for the help and glad I found this forum.:)