Root Cause of Variable Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by stophiss, Jul 16, 2016.

1. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      My first post. Want to start by saying hello to fellow suffers. I have been lurking on this forum for some time now having contracted tinnitus about 3 months ago. I am not optimistic it is going to go away anytime soon…including seeing my doctor. Because I have a background in science, I tend to dive into the deep end and of course tinnitus as I have learned is the veritable black hole of maladies. I kind of look at it like...a broken stereo amplifier nobody knows how to fix. Of course its organic nature makes is most difficult to repair as we all have learned together.

Because individual health is a critical factor to how we get this in the first place, a few words about me. I am a health nut and just turned 62 and don't even have grey hair. When I contracted this, I had a complete physical including full panel of blood work. Everything looks perfect…blood pressure, low cholesterol, normal blood sugar etc. I am uber fit and avid cyclist and grew up swimming competitively and honestly had heard of tinnitus but always thought it was for somebody else until that day arrived for me. I have good overall hearing and hadn't had tinnitus thru six decades of life. My tinnitus seemed to result from an episode of not feeling well and I am a guy who always has felt pretty good because I guard my health so carefully and do about 2 hours of cardio a day. So this has been a huge adjustment and I am trying not to be too depressed about it but it is the proverbial elephant in the room as it no doubt is more most of us. I will say further that 50 years from now, resolution to tinnitus and many other diseases will be passé. We sadly live in the stone age of medicine.

There are many here that know a lot about this disease and I would like to ask your technical opinion. Not sure exactly what good asking the question is...but it may at least direct me toward a given avenue of research.

Below is one of the best videos I have seen which addresses brain chemistry and emotion and basic cause and effect of tinnitus:

Tinnitus Treatment - Causes and treatment of...

Btw, I want to caveat the above video and emphatically state, I don't subscribe to what they are selling in the video as a viable solution to tinnitus...because if it where legit, it would be more widely utilized and it isn't. So I am very dubious creating a sound signature combative of cortex misfiring is feasible or effective in the least. In fact comprising such an algorithm seems highly impractical because it doesn’t seem possible to even deduce such an algorithm...impossible to discern what signature to put in place to reverse tinnitus would be specific to any of us....and if auditory misfiring is even mechanical or rather a chemical imbalance etc that couldn’t be changed by sound subjection. Nonetheless, I do believe in my case, my issue may be more brain based or my auditory cortex gone amuck for unknown reason and will briefly explain why.

My tinnitus is like a high frequency hiss. My tinnitus varies from what I would call enraged...like locus on a hot summer night on a dark road in the country with the car windows down....and most distracting... to my T subsiding to almost inaudible...or a very feint tingling of very high frequency notes. So my question to those more expert than I certainly...because my tinnitus is so variable....and my hearing is generally good...highs, lows and mid range frequency response seems pretty good in both ears....my thought is...one days or rather hours of relief when my tinnitus simmers down closer to normal hearing function, my cochlea has to be performing more normally. This would suggest no or little hair loss within the cochlea. So it seems to make sense that my auditory cortex which apparently can even be evaluated with a CAT scan...seems to be the culprit of what is wrong in my case or at least what I suspect. Btw, I have done the usual things from neck adjustment to modify my diet with virtually no influence. Further, I have no idea why what I believe my auditory cortex is more haywire hour to hour or day to day either. Seems like I have almost a sensitivity to brain chemistry that triggers this hyperactive chatter talked about in the video. So that is my premise. If my tinnitus once in a while almost goes away, my cochlea must be OK and my issue must be associated with my auditory cortex. What do you think?

If anybody who has taken a dive into the research on this would like to either agree or refute my thinking, I would sure appreciate it. I have to say that I am pretty astounded that more drugs for example aren't available to perhaps quiet the auditory cortex...or promote more uniform communication between brain and cochlea....or an intervening stimulation or even a companion pace maker of electrical stimulation or similar. No doubt this technology will come with time and of course we all wonder when.

Thanks for any thought and I am grateful to all of you for your words of advice.

2. Paul Burdett

Paul Burdett Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi,
      I have read your post with interest. Like you I have always looked after myself health wise and physically. I am 63 and came down with T after attending a very loud motor racing day two years ago. I was wearing ear plugs, but they were obviously not enough...should have purchased ear muffs sold at the track. My passion is photography and I only went to photograph the cars. I am also a high school music teacher and classical guitarist so music has been my life (due to the T I now teach English only, as listening to students playing trumpet, piano etc was causing me a problem. Luckily playing my guitar does not.
      My issue I, like you (and many others on this forum) my T is variable too. Apart from the morning when it is always loud when I wake up (normally settles after a hot shower) I recently had 8 days straight of almost no T (you know...had to cover my ears in order to try and hear it...which you shouldn't do I'm told) followed by today, my third day straight of consistent T. Mine is a high pitched sound...6KHz. in my left ear only.
      It baffles me as to how I can have 1,2 or 3 days of virtually no T followed by days of loud T. I'm of the opinion that on the days when I can't hear it I don't have T, so therefore there can't be damage to my auditory system?? I know for sure that stress (part of being a high school teacher) is a major trigger for me. The 8 good days were during school holidays...the bad day was the first day back at work!
      I did look into the Neuromonics thing, but the cost was too much and my research into it told me that it was not that successful anyway. Anyhow...that's it from me...still living in hope of a cure whilst I'm still around! Take care.
      Paul

3. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Control your blood sugar and stop fluctuation

4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Sorry to follow you around, but unless you are coming to this forum to write comedy, and I do admit I find your posts funny, you do a grave disservice telling anybody they can control fluctuation in tinnitus by controlling blood sugar. Myself and many here...perhaps most here have fluctuating tinnitus and their blood sugar level if fine. My blood sugar level is perfect and I have fluctuation tinnitus.
      You should go back into hibernation...lol.

5. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      That's why you need to stop following my posts

6. RaZaH
      Dancing

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Is there any evidence that controlling you bloodsugar helps fluctuating T or is that your personal experience?

7. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Nope. Not your forum. You should really stop posting...or...be called out when you post erroneous information about tinnitus which is what I have done. Keep posting bogus information like you did in this thread, I will call you so people don't run to the doctor or believe their tinnitus fluctuation can be tamed by controlling their sugar level. Controlling sugar level can many times be outside a person's control within a tight spectrum...diabetics for example can and do have a genetic component to their sugar level and therefore can't place a tight parameter on this condition.

8. Paul Burdett

Paul Burdett Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Just read the posts above. When I first got Tinnitus I decided that I would cut sugar out of my diet as much as I could as I did feel that eating sweet things made my T worse. I lost around 9 kg in the first 12 months, but I do feel that anxiety/stress was the main cause of the weight loss...even though cutting sugar out does, for most people, cause a loss in weight. Over the past 6 months I have not been so paranoid about sugar and occasionally have a soft drink or desert at a restaurant with no ill effect. I've done this on days when I don't have Tinnitus and it does not cause it to start. Other days I can have loud T even if I have not had any sugar, in either sweets or alcohol.
      One thing continues to baffle me though. Despite waking up with loud T every morning, it goes completely after a hot shower 80% of the time. Other times the shower "trick" does not work and T remains for the rest of the day. Just had three "good" days, but today is a "bad" day again. Maybe there's something in this that needs to be looked at by researchers other than considering sugar levels?

9. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Hi Paul,
      Thanks for your post. Of course sugar is very bad for anybody. Diabetes is a killer and can and does diminish quality of life for too many people. I am a health nut and my sugar levels are normal. I still have tinnitus and why JG's comments are wrong. Of course a sugar free or low sugar diet is directionally correct to better health. If there were a known link between sugar and tinnitus it would have been long ago sung from the rafters here at TT and its not. Of course those with perhaps high sugar levels...it may have a fractional influence...but likely no more than a myriad of other influences like salt which can affect ionic communication between neurons.

A healthy diet and exercise lifestyle I believe is likely directionally correct for tinnitus but we all know a lot of old fat people who drink a lot and have a fatty and salty diet with no tinnitus as well...some even hard of hearing.

If there is a cause of tinnitus over and above genetics and sound exposure its stress. Now susceptibility to stress is likely mostly genetic as well including IQ and ability to cope with daily life and pre-disposition to depression and anxiety. Even more insidious? Growing up in a family with high stress because of parent's propensity for it, beyond their control as well. What is even more synergistic is this can even influence brain development of children and not in a positive way further exacerbating a child growing into adulthood. This btw is another reason that all the people here that can't forgive themselves for that seminal loud music event that they believe precipitated their tinnitus, they should be easier on themselves. Of course, they can't be by their nature. Chances are their parents never were...and their parents before them. Likely a thousand or more other participants at a given concert didn't get T from it. This also includes band members who are subjected to higher sound thresholds daily if not weekly. Many of them don't get T either. Genetics as in everything are a large contributor or not for many reasons. Tinnitus ultimately maybe a culmination of many years of stress affecting brain physiology and in combination with high sound exposure is the perfect storm. Yes, diet matters for overall health and can even influence stress levels fractionally, but there is no known link between sugar and tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Thnaks for sharing that @stophiss . Its a beautifully made corporate video, but I am not a scientist and could be just a very expensive hearing aid type device that plays tones.
      Did anyone on this forum pay the frankly incredible price for this therapy and did it help ? If it did was the effect permanent ? I cant help feeling that T is way too complex for a one-size fits all box of tricks.

11. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Hi Kelvin,
      To embellish a bit...will share my deeper held belief a bit. Stress at an early age in a family with a higher level of stress than normal can manifest mental illness. This is...or not...a child starting out as a clean slate...or perhaps even not if believing a bit in the bad seed syndrome. And there is a broad spectrum of mental health.
      But take schizophrenia:
      http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005410.html#

So, I personally believe that tinnitus may in fact be pre-ordained by unhealthy brain chemistry perhaps even fostered in earlier years...ongoing or frequent stress now known to damage the brain's hypothalamus as well as the pituitary and adrenal glands in the brain. Let's just say, its not an even playing field even if born with a so called normal brain.

No, one size does not fit all...even remotely.