Running and Tinnitus (with Earplugs)

Discussion in 'Support' started by spikedears, Sep 5, 2018.

1. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Hi guys,

Does anyone have any views on the safety of running with earplugs in?

I live near quite a few roads and do not want to run unprotected along or by them. I noticed today that when I had the earplugs in, my footfall felt loud.

Is this enough to cause damage?

Any experience and advice greatly appreciated!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I believe this would still be considered the occlusion effect? I can't stand walking on hard flooring with earplugs in, personally. Is there a nearby park you could go to instead?

3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi @spikedears,

I am an avid runner. It is my solace time and greatly helps my general well-being. For years, since about 2003, I have used the following without any bad effects. Also, it stops that weird sound of your foot steps and voice.

I split up a single cottonball. I roll the two up very tightly between the palms of my hands making sure there are no loose threads. I place them in my ears and this has worked very well because the outside noise is more muffled and the cotton absorbs (rather than block) that shock from traffic or noises.

I also use this technique while doing my music therapy with my bose headset.

4. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      You can't do this to yourself. For all that is good in this world...run! Just run. Also if steps sound loud it could be a sign of superior semicircular canal dehiscence.

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @spikedears You didn't mention why you feel the need to wear earplugs while running? I'm assuming it's due to road noise around you? If so, I would take into account that road noise translates to drivers on the road and they're not always paying attention. Been a runner all my life. It's a time when you need your eyes & ears open. Just my opinion.
      Mike

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      why do you guys need ear plugs? do you still have hyperacusis with pain that did not go away after all these years?

7. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I injured my foot last year and the foot DR took x rays and said everything looks fine. I've given it time and stretched but running looks like it's not going to happen for a while if ever for me.

While I was never a daily runner I loved the feeling of exhaustion after a jog and man what wonderful sleep after a jog too.

Live it up guys but please take care of yourselves.

• Like Like x 1
    8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I've jogged every day for years and never had issues with T, i don't wear plug unless dire circumstances like loud restaurants and places with music.

9. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My advice is to run without plugs. You don’t need them and they will cause more harm than good. I know you have a huge problem with phonophobia though and that’s a different thing entirely. I’m not sure what else I can suggest as we’ve been talking for ages. I know how hard it can be and I really feel your pain, but you must try and overcome this obstacle that is holding you back.

Don’t do it too suddenly as you’ll just shock yourself. I’d try weaning yourself off slowly by reducing the filters and then ultimately stopping use completely. I know you double protect whenever you leave the house which isn’t helping matters. It plays into the fear that this condition has over you and strengthens its grip. At the same time you’re likely sensitising your ears which is going to make everything feel louder when you take them out. From the talks I’ve had with you it seems you wear earplugs all the time and double protect all the time as well.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Maybe you can run with memory foam earphones (turned off). They provide little protection and their occlusion effect is much smaller than with regular plugs.

11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I do not need earplugs for running and in fact find them very uncomfortable while running. I do need a certain amount of buffering from unexpected loud screeching and that is why my method works for me and does not prevent me from hearing needed sounds while running.

Yes a bit of it is because of hyperacusis which I have under control. It is simply that my tinnitus is severely loud 24/7 and not a mild ringing sound. I hear screeching metal sounds all the time. But, I have found ways to get my life back and live.

12. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Superior semi-cahoodawhat-y? :coffee:

13. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      This helps, I can vouch for this. I used to run with earplugs in whether they were on or not. Still, running with earplugs can actually be dangerous because you won't be able to hear what is around you.