Running (Exercise in General) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichT, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Rosco99 -- For you and possibly others whose tinnitus spikes from jogging, would it possibly work to walk (or hike) really fast up very steep hills. You could get quite the workout without the jarring that can occur from jogging. Just a thought.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Rosco99

Rosco99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      I’ve done some low intensity hiking with my 8 year old over the last few months. I was hoping to get out there on my own this weekend but wasn’t able to pull it off. I’m surrounded by state forests and conservation trails. I’ll report back once I’m able to get out there.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Rockrose
      No Mood

Rockrose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      spike since 7/15 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Lane, that's good advice. My tinnitus began over a year ago, shortly after getting one of those small trampolines /rebounders. I stopped using the rebounder and began taking brisk walks, looking for hills to get a better workout. It's worked out pretty well. A couple of days ago I decided to get out the rebounder and exercised on it for about 25 minutes. It felt good at the time but now I'm dealing with a spike. I'm hoping it goes down soon. I'm feeling certain now that jogging or rebounding is a bad thing for some of us.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Am I the only critical Nancy that finds it odd that people come on here making statements like "running on hard surfaces makes tinnitus louder for some people and it's not temporary" as if it were an actual scientific fact.

These are pretty breaking statements so at the least it would warrant some research data or, in the worst case, some references to multiple well documented cases where this has happened.

Being one of the biggest tinnitus forums on the internet, posting on here comes with certain responsibilities. Especially when statements are made by long term members that have a certain authority simply due to posting history. New victims of this terrible disease come here for guidance and then they see "running can make your tinnitus worse, permanently"... I really don't know if it's wise to make claims like these without backing them up.

(I'll be the first to acknowledge when actual data is provided, but until then I think my comment have merit).

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Ben Winders -- Points well taken. However, after checking this thread, I didn't see anybody making the kind of claims that are concerning to you. I think there is reason to consider whether running (and the associated jarring) can affect a person's tinnitus. It would probably be especially relevant for people with somatic tinnitus.

6. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Lane Thanks for acknowledging.
      Sadly the opposite is true. The quote in my "concerned" post is an almost literal quote from valued poster Michael Leigh.

It may be true that crystals in the ear get damaged from running, but I can pull about a hundred more out of the same hat where that one came from.

We really need tread carefully here with saying stuff without any backing. Be it scientific research or (a lot of) anecdotal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Don't ask Michael Leigh for research to back up his wild claims, it's something he never has done and never will. He likes to fear monger. When you run you're misaligning your chakras and Zeus thunderbolts your brain, for all we all we know.

I don't see why the pounding from running would worsen your tinnitus, unless you're wearing earplugs that cause the occlusion effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Running definitely has caused massive issues with my tinnitus and hyperacusis. I don’t think it’s the actual running that’s the problem but the cars that sometimes go past me and the wind speed. I think any wind speed over 5 mph causes me a problem. I have reluctantly stopped running for the first time ever as my last run a week ago I have ended up with louder tinnitus, ears burning and headaches. This has happened before with running (and cycling) and the deterioration in my condition isn’t linked to anything else. I still go to the gym and am fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm a runner and I've also been experiencing louder tinnitus, ears burning and headaches of late. I haven't been able to put my finger on what's going on and have tried everything, short of not running. I've experienced this once or twice before and what I remember, the ears burning and headaches seemed to go away on its own after a while. The first time it happened, I was referred to a neurologist who suggested the headaches were tension related. I occasionally take (tension headache) Excedrin which seems to help with the ears and headaches but recently learned that caffeine is listed as an active ingredient which concerns me. I don't consider myself a tense person by nature although the louder tinnitus could be a contributing factor. It seems odd but if louder tinnitus causes the tension and the tension causes the louder tinnitus, it's a catch-22.

I never considered cars and wind to be an issue as you mentioned since I run along the beach although I'll keep it in mind in the future. Please keep me posted of your success.

• Like Like x 1
    10. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      You might just want to use a treadmill then.

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Lane
      Thank you Lane for your comments.

@Ben Winders
      My comments on running and tinnitus are advisory and mostly for people that have noise induced tinnitus, because this is what I am familiar with. I have corresponded with people at tinnitus forums, by email and on the telephone, who say, running on hard ground or treadmill has made their tinnitus worse. For some the increase isn't temporary. Similarly, some people that have noise induced tinnitus have reported no adverse effects when running on hard ground. Although you weren't corresponding with me directly you did mention my name and have been respectful. This I appreciate and says something about your character and I will do the same.

Science has its place in the world and to some degree in tinnitus but not everything relating to tinnitus has to be confirmed by science for it to be true. I am specifically referring to "Noise induced tinnitus" which is a different kettle of fish from tinnitus caused by an underlying medical problems, medication etc. My findings are based on personal experience and corresponding with many people over twenty four years thus far, living with noise induced tinnitus.

I wish you well.
      Michael
      I am beginning to tire of you as I did with Bartoli who is now placed on ignore. This is because of constantly interfering and annoying me, without any provocation on my part. He was happy as a lark when people read his posts ridiculing me. However, when I turned the tables, which I hasten to add wasn't to ridicule, his response was an outpouring of emotion. I felt like reaching for my violin, and playing alongside the 1st movement of Mozart's requiem: D minor K.626 as I felt such remorse for the unfortunate fellow.

You have been going through my post history and placing funny emotes on them and been doing so for quite some time. As you know I have responded in kind to this immature behaviour.

Michael

12. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I don’t go through your post history, I just rate stuff funny when I come across it if I find it funny. What evidence is there that running makes tinnitus worse?

Bartoli has made some pretty spot on criticisms of you that you’ve chosen to ignore.

It would be an honor to be placed on your ever expanding ignore list though.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your wish has been granted.

Goodbye
      Michael

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      In classic Leigh fashion.

15. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Michael Leigh Thanks for commenting in a respectful manner. I just wanted to make sure you know how much your words matter to a lot of newbies because you're one of the old timers (no offense). I guess the consequence of that legacy is that you have to be as complete as possible every time you post something. Citing scientific sources and if there are none, stating how many anecdotes you are basing your claims on.

Have a wonderful day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you also for your comments. I will always be respectful on any forum that I visit. Please peruse my post history and you will not find any that contain expletives or other forms of bad language. Neither will you find where I have initiated an argument with another member. That was not the way I was brought up. My parents are no longer here and when they were, I never used a swear word in their presence.

As I have said, science does have a place in tinnitus but with time you will not attach so much importance to it, as you do now, especially that you have noise induced tinnitus.

All the best
      Michael

17. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Tension headaches are caused by the loud tinnitus coupled with ear burning in my case. The last time I ran it had a wind speed of 9 mph and isn’t high but still high enough for anyone who suffers from hyperacusis. Unfortunately. I have had tension headaches for the past 9 days with very loud tinnitus. Ears burning most of the tine too. I have never had it that bad - also the tension headaches is making me tired. I would try to stay away from running and only run if wind speed is less than 5 mph.

Yes, I will provide updates.

18. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Yes but treadmills can be very loud and boring. I think the foot impact on the treadmill which reverberates through the body and to the ears can be detrimental to tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Oh well, still plenty of other options like cycling, swimming, and weights.

20. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Sash I would think wind speed from cycling would affect you more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Yes it does. Cycling with traffic and wind is just awful. With running I have changed my route to avoid cars but still come across some cars on my route though it’s fewer now. The worst part is having to deal with constant tension headaches which is not going away. I have had them occasionally in the past but now it’s incessant.

22. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Weights Is fine but swimming is loud with noise of water and from people. Acoustics are bad in swimming pools.

23. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I haven’t found a problem with it. Swim in a lake.

24. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      For me it was actually the opposite. Back in early 2018 I remember getting a really high pitched electric noise that was really hard to mask. One day me and my friends were playing around and I ran with all my power, and I noticed that would make my tinnitus disappear entirely for like 30 minutes. Then other times I ran again and it would continue removing my tinnitus for a while. Then eventually, thank God, the tinnitus disappeared by itself. But for me, running actually improved my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Interesting. For me exercised used to make me hear more balanced but lower, quieter (I had severe hyperacusis). However, lately exercise spikes my tinnitus a bit. It is strange...

• Winner Winner x 1
    26. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo caffeine insomnia earbuds
      Does anybody play tennis?

I really miss playing the sport but I'm scared it's going to make my tinnitus worse.

I think I need to increase my BDNF and exercise is a huge contributor.

27. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Right, so I was trying to find out whether it would be safe to run again - and it turns out no one bloody knows!! Ha!

I read through this whole thread and now I'm more undecided than I originally was.

*To run or not to run* - one of the most unanswered questions in tinnitus history.

28. Gman45

Gman45 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion or ETD
      I've been experiencing tinnitus now for three months unfortunately. Before tinnitus, I was an avid runner for many years I haven't been running for these three months with tinnitus, but have been trying to get back into it. Besides being a bit out of shape now, I worry about running causing a spike. My tinnitus was brought on from a concussion three months ago, and something about the idea of bouncing my head around while running seems risky.

Has anyone had any experience with running and tinnitus? Did it cause any spikes or issues? Is there a better exercise to do in this board's opinion?

29. Gman45

Gman45 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion or ETD
      I have been back to running four miles about four times a week since my post in March. No effect on tinnitus, but it seems to help mood.

I don't run with earbuds anymore though. Sort of miss the music, but I don't know that I will ever use earbuds or headphones again.

30. Sentinel
      No Mood

Sentinel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late November/Early December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really epic hobbies
      Running used to really improve my left ear ETD tinnitus, it would slowly filter back in but it shook my system up a lot. I think it helps a little now with just my right, it seems to make mine less apparent and a little easier to tolerate.