Sadness After Habituation

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mentos, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Hi to all,

I have tinnitus for over a year now and I think I managed to learn how not to respond to it emotionally, which is a basic concept of habituation (actually I use maskers to which I habituated). I basically live a normal life meaning I successfully work, no sleeping problems, I read books, ride motorbike and bicycle, I have a loving wife and a beautiful house and all the things I always dreamt of despite silence. But I'm always sad, I do not enjoy things even when I don't hear tinnitus, it's like my emotions don't exists anymore. I switched off my emotions not only with regards to tinnitus but completely towards other things. It's like lost silence deprived me of emotional part of me. All I can think of is lost silence. It's like I'm on a survival mode all the time, something inside of me does not let me enjoy things saying hold on, you can't lough, you can't be happy because there's a problem you didn't fix meaning tinnitus. My T is actually mild usually don't hear it when outside or in public places with background noise. But I never forget I have T, it's something that always occupies at least 10% of my mind.

We plan to have our first baby with my wife and I'm affraid I'll not be able to love it and enjoy time with it because of T.

Question to the ones that consider themselves habituated, do you manage to be emotionally active towards life and not to respond emotionally to T at the same time?

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Mentos,
      You might have depression and medication and talking therapy support could help you if you find most days feeling numb and lost your smile and happiness.
      We have no control over tinnitus but total control over what makes us happy.
      Stay positive and push hard stay happy......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @Mentos,
      I have not habituated to my tinnitus and I am not sure I will ever be able to do that completely. Mine is severe and I hear and feel it every day. I have habituated some and this is because of the people I love and especially because of my grandchildren. They need me and they give me reason to push on with life in spite of the noise. I am hoping that your new baby will bring you a new perspective.
      I did receive help from a therapist early on. Are you currently seeing a therapist or taking medication?

4. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      I agree with Glynis, I think you are probably depressed.....it takes the pleasure out of any and everything.

I have severe tinnitus, and am pretty much habituated. I had depression at the onset and was on medication for about 15 months which really helped. I now can enjoy aspects of life again.

I'd like to say that I feel just as I did before the onset of tinnitus, but I don't quite. I miss silence, I miss that peace. However, feeling 90% my old self is a big plus.

I'm sure if you have medication and/or therapy, you'll get their too.

Good luck,

Fungus.

• Like Like x 1
    5. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

Hey, I would consider myself completely habituated at present. I do not think your numbness is a symptom of not being habituated, it is, as others have said, possibly depression. It doesn't matter what brought that on (T or anything else/combination of many things, or nothing), but you can treat that. I've dealt with that condition many times in my life pre and post T, talking and medication can help a ton. It may take time to find what works, so don't give up.

Hang in there and congratulations on your soon-to-be bundle of joy :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      When your baby arrives, you will be totally incapable of NOT falling madly in love with him/her! And that baby will help to pull you back toward a great measure of happiness. Trust me on this. You will experience bliss again, and then the awesome responsibility of raising this young one will help you, again and again, to be happy while helping the baby to grow and be happy.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      True I have diagnozed depression caused by T:( I know milinos of people suffer from it, including my wife, my sister, father in law, my mother, my aunt and possibly other people around me who do not even disclose it. I'm mad on me for not dealing with my mild T as they do; my wife for instance have more severe T than myself even though she enjoys life, smiles, lough and is active. THis is actually that keeps me going, if my wife can handle why shuoldn't I? She says it's like contact lenses for her, wears tchem in the morning and takes of before going to bad, exactly like with T:) I hope my mood will improve over time and I will finally accept my T as a part of myself.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yeah, sounds like depression. Are things still the same? One thing I think could boost your mood is eating fish several times each week. Maybe fish oil if you can't afford the fish or don't like fish, just make sure to take it with food or it can upset your stomach. The Omega 3 fatty acids helped me a lot with depression a long time ago but now due to prescription medication use, it's very hard for me to discontinue.

9. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I could have written this myself. It gets easier over time but it's not easy, you just need to keep going.