Safe Antibiotic for Tinnitus Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Ryan, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Michael Ryan

Michael Ryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      believe neck injury played a part, but also was musician.
      Due to ongoing health issue, was recently tested for suspected Lyme disease, I have had tinnitus for about 5 years now, and am worried the antibiotic prescribed is ototoxic, I have been prescribed 28 daily doses of Doxycycline.

Does anyone know of any safe alternatives? This is further complicated because I am also allergic to penicillin.(Amoxicillin etc.)

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

2. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hello @Michael Ryan

I tried to come up with an answer for this one. If you don't have Lyme Disease, then you don't have to take the antibiotic. Of course I'm no Doctor to answer this.

I think all of us Tinntius suffers come to a bridge, the ototoxic med bridge question, how to get across the river.
      If I had Lyme Disease, and really had Lyme Disease, I'd take the antibiotic to cure it.
      Not sure what you mean by "suspected Lyme Disease"?

Sorry to hear about this, the Lyme Disease. I really hope you recover.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Ryan

Michael Ryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      believe neck injury played a part, but also was musician.
      Yeah the reason it's a grey area is that the test for Lyme is apparently not a positive/negative result, my results had elevated levels of whatever the marker is, I spoke to my doc today, he says the alternatives vary from penicillin based to some potentially worse drugs, so I guess I'll stick with the Doxy, day 4 and no damage so far, fingers crossed!.

thanks for replying.