Safe Pain Reliever

Discussion in 'Support' started by Geo, May 16, 2015.

1. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I've been having very bad ear pains most of the day lately from my increasing t...

I maybe only slept 10-12 hours all week as this pain is intolerable. I cant sleep from it, someone told me Tylenol is a good choice and isn't ototoxic, not sure if it's true or that it isn't harmful...

Anyone use any safe drugs for pain so I can at least try to sleep tonight pain free...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Sorry to hear about ear pain. I had ear pain for last 6 months of 2014.. due to assault plus crazy ear infection plus intracranial pressure pushing my ear and teeth nerves.. it hurt like a biaaaatch.

I didn't take any meds.. just fought thru it. However my ear pain was more random.. it would come out of nowhere for few minutes then go away. . Then back again and so on.

Luckily ear pain is gone now.. on its own.. maybe need time. Luckily I still have all my teeth and that pain is gone too.

Tylenol is usually safe. Check the side effects on webmd.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      So your pains will just come for minutes?? Ur lucky man well not really it must of been hell for u too..i might have developed a infection not sure..hoping tylenol can releive some pain its been constant for a week

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Instead of playing Russian roulette with your ears, why not go to the doctor so you can be sure?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @Viking do you think tylenol is safe to relieve me of some ear pain at least to go to sleep dont want to catch more volume increase

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I probably might if this constant pain doesnt go away..

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      This is a personal healthcare decision for you - so far be it from me to criticize.

But as a general statement I think it odd that with all the concerns expressed on this board day in and day out about protecting ears from any further real damage, and with all the "if had only known this or that could have happeneds" moaned and groaned on this board day in and day out, that anybody here would take a "wait and see" attitude about something as potentially serious as an ear infection? In fact more than just odd, to me it is virtually beyond belief!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I always get ear pains due to my H... Its nothing new to me. its just they havent lasted as long as they have recently.. It can be just the increase of volume affecting my ears because its hard on them listening to it.. Im not saying it cant be a infection but pain isnt something new its just that it hasnt really lasted as long through the night and i dont take anything for it i just take the pain as it comes...if i never experienced ear pain then yes most likely i would think its a infection, but i at least get ear pain everyother day lasting hours.. And also its my bad H that prevents me from leaving my house knowing any little noise even traffic noise is just going to amplify the pain and noise.. If i didnt have H i wouldnt mind going to a urgent care but because of my condition i have to know for sure to be ready to expose myself of more harming sounds.. I know its tough for u to understand as u dont go through these kind of symptoms.. I would be in and out doc offices before but now i have to be more careful when to expose myself..

9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Like I said, this is your own personal healthcare decision. But if it were I, I'd make sure I didn't have an infection this time around. And then instead of putting up with my hyperacusis any more, I'd get an accurate diagnosis and go about getting it treated!!!!!

Geo, you have an ear condition that you say prevents you from leaving your house. What kind of a life is that? Get it diagnosed and get it treated already. Sorry for being so blunt - but if my bluntness gets you off your aspic and to the office of somebody who can figure out what the hell is wrong with you so it can be effectively treated, then I'll go with the bluntness every time!

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Geo, I think you're already anxious and I don't want to make it worse, but definitely do your homework on tylenol. Regular use is associated with hearing loss in several studies that I've seen, and I stopped taking it as a result.

That aside, I mostly agree with @Dr. Nagler, with a caveat that I realize it's not easy. But, from what you are describing, it sounds like your anxiety is as big a factor in this as anything -- becoming housebound is a very common end result of unchecked anxiety, and the chemicals involved in that are almost certainly amping up your H, because when you're in a state of constant anxiety, all of your perceptions get cranked up, that's the evolutionary purpose of the limbic system.

I'm not saying that your H isn't real, or terrible -- I'm just saying that there's more going on here than a physical condition with your ears, and the sooner you can find a way to address that, the sooner your life will start to make sense again.

Good luck, man, I'm rooting for you.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      FWIW, when my anxiety and T get really bad, it's not at all uncommon for me to get stabbing pains in my ears, sometimes they are pretty alarming. I was completely convinced that I was having an ear infection last summer, went to urgent care and the whole nine yards... nothing wrong with my ears, no fluid, nothing, just anxiety, muscle tension and TMJ.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I doesnt rub me the wrong way i know what you mean.. Its just that doctors are very clueless .. And i honestly have almost no energy in trying to find one and think of all the trips and visits just to rules out things i can already tell them i have . it just feels like a catch 22 right now..

13. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I'm glad, because I truly mean no offense.

Many are - especially about hyperacusis and related conditions. But some aren't. Your job is to find just one of the ones who aren't.
      I do not believe you. You are sick. You are tired. And you are sick and tired of being sick and tired. So you have less energy than you would have if you were well. I get all that. But you absolutely do not "have almost no energy." So please stop selling yourself short ... and start getting yourself better.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I wouldnt say i dont have some anxiety but not that much either its very little.. I didnt get h and just stopped and stayed home. I tried working , fail.. Everytime i went out the house came back with spiked t for no apparent reason so i thought at the time And aching ears..I was doing this for over a month when i just gave up and realised its just too loud to be outside anymore and felt my ears just getting more sensitive to sounds..i was taking the pain to act normal but was probably doing more harm than good... My ears were saying different.. From some of my cases i can uderstand why someone can think its anxiety but its not really when something happens i dont freak out as much as its common to me know i just lay down and wait for the pain and t to rise as if it was the norm.. a very horrid experience.. I had anxiety and panic moments on onset after the first spikes as everyone But faded as they became to frequent.. im more in a not again, you have to be kidding me , how does this keep worsening kind of state. Not really a panic or freaked out state..if that makes sense

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I might have some tmj as on onset my jaw would have these bad pops on the side and a couple months ago started doing it again but not recently.. itll pop and my T would have that short seconds spike and go down right away..but i hear its more of jaw pain or numbness which i dont get..

16. Firstly, (((hugs))) to you my friend. .ok?..I feel your pain..Truly!

and...

no, that's not TMJ at all. It can be a WHOLE lot more than just jaw pain or numbness...

If you are housebound....if I were
      housebound that I couldn't even get to the docs I'd find a way to find a doc that knows what the hell is going on with my ears!!! Unacceptable. You deserve to live better than this, no?

.I mean I feel that way now (most docs don't get it) but I'm not housebound and still searching and asking doctors questions, having tests done, ruling things out etc..

Go find out if you have an infection. .if your ldls are soooo low that even a car ride and visit to docs kills (been there!!!) wear protection. .and yes you still may spike but itwill subside..your anxiety towards it may not.

You need major help with your anxiety regardless of your ears...no way, no how, you
      don't have major anxiety about this situation. ..I do and I'm not quite where you are.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      My ears feel dead to sounds as soon as i wake up there already in pain... And been sleeping very little..

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      My only anxiety is like to harmful sutuations as lets say my mom is washing the dishes hoping she doesnt slam a plate as my ear will react to the slam.. If i was in a safe envieroment i would have no anxiety but i live in a noisy neighborhood my street is wide and hooligans use it as if it was a track and i hear the sounds right in the house.. Something always be hapening here that is my anxiety...

19. I live in a noisy place too..VERY loud!! I have anxiety towards clanging plates too, cause it hurts..but aren't you sick of it?

You don't want to end up padding the windows do you? I just feel Geo that there is help for you (and me) hell maybe even an antidepressant to take the edge off the mental aspect ya know?

P.S..I take advil and Tylenol. .it's never spiked my ears..I also use moist heat and tiger balm around my ear..I take clonazepam and have taken amitriptyline and used flexeril both helped with my ear pain from H.

20. Lack of sleep is never a good thing..have you tried melatonin? magnesium?

You need pain control. Keppra doesn't seem to be helping thus far..

21. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you're looking for meds that doesn't make T or H worse, TT-members share their experiences in this thread:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/antidepressants-ssris-snris-maos-tcas-tecas.768/

It should be a starting point, if nothing more.

I also think you should get your ears checked, to make it sure it isn't an infection. I wouldn't expect to find a doctor who can do anything about your T or H, but finding someone who can rule out infection should be easy enough. Please remember that since you're very down your immune system might be weakened, so you need to keep an eye out for additional complications.

You seem to be in a really tough situationen, man. Life shouldn't have to be this hard.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I got exposed to a couple of sounds lately and well i cant tell if keppra is working but also im on a low dosage still havent tampered up but i feel all of these incidents my be not helping the keppra push theiugh as my ear will feel worse the next day as it did the day before .. I need to be in a quiet place where no spikes and pain can happen so when i take keppra i can actually feel it kick in if its working or not

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I took magnesium a while back and gave me a killer headache and burning. Ears ive heard that it can happen in some casses u need a pure form of it..

24. Hmm well I don't know much about it except that I would think if it was lowering your T or H, sounds now wouldn't hurt. Perhaps it isn't a high enough dosage. I really don't know. My friend who recently started amitrip and has horrible pain and H, already notices that sounds don't hurt like they normally do and he is doing better. Amitrip is more than an antidepressant, in fact rarely used as one anymore, it's wonderful for treating neuralgia and also studies have shown it can decrease tinnitus considerably. ..just a thought :)...and it's helped my ear pain...

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I think its more of a mood changer right? Gets ur mind of t or it doesnt care for it.. Yes im only on 1000mg am planning on going to 2000mg soon .. Thats the dosage that you should start feeling it kick in... But i have had a bit of anxiety from the pill i think or my mind thinking its probably harming me from this all this recent constant ear pain that has been going on..but im still taking it as i got s spike and blockage in the middle of the night the third day in it not sure if its connected or just random as it was very cold that night.. But hoping it can relieve me or i might just lose hope

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I apologize for my grammer i type way to fast on my phone and dont recheck mistakes just push send lol

27. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety doesn't always mean panic. I think someone who had a total intolerance of sound but didn't have any anxiety or cognitive distortions around it, who thought they had an ear infection, would simply put earplugs or earmuffs on, and go to a doctor.

I'm only concerned because if you really have an infection and you don't treat it, that could be really bad... Off course, you may not have an infection, but that's something that's super easy for a clinic to see.

28. If your worsening has coincided with the drug, I'd be skeptical.

29. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I agree with Dr. Nagler. He needs to see a doctor about a potential infection. Any GP Worth their salt should be able to diagnose an obvious ear infection.

30. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I always use turmeric for these instances.