Safest Method of Earwax Removal for Tinnitus Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David Gannon, Feb 8, 2016.

1. David Gannon

David Gannon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Hi, I noticed my tinnitus got a little louder recently, went to the gp and they saw a decent bit of wax, with wax covering my right eardrum.
      He booked me in for ear syringing 5 days later, and instructed me to use ear drops beforehand. I was all for it until I started researching ear syringing and reading the worrying amount of people who's tinnitus began after syringing, and the amount of people who's tinnitus got worse. To add to this, many doctors say its an outdated method and its a 'blind technique'.

So I have decided to cancel the ear syringing and look at other possible options. With regard to ear micro suction, it seems to be more favourable to syringing but still I read many cases where tinnitus was created or aggravated. The best option currently seems to be manual, careful removal by an ENT doctor. So, for someone with mild tinnitus and ears blocked with wax for the first time, what is the safest method of removal?

Thanks in advance.

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      My understanding is that the order of preference is 1) manual removal using microscope; 2) micro suction; 3) Syringe. (That said, when I was young, I had impacted wax several times, and it was always removed with a syringe. I had no issues and to some degree remember it fondly since my ear stopped hurting and I could hear better. It was also done by a very experienced ENT, and I wonder if differences in experience account for some of the differences in outcomes.) I don't think the ordering should depend on degree of tinnitus or this being your first time with wax.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I agree with the ordering. Definitely get the manual removal over the others if you can. If the ear canal is not completely blocked then I would just use olive oil and this will get it moving. If it is completely blocked (meaning you have muffled hearing) then olive oil on its own might not work, or might take a long time.

Putting a couple of drops of olive oil in every few weeks before you get a blockage helps stop the wax from building up. I used to get wax build up really fast until I was told this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      The main point is use olive oil at least everyday for week to ten days and that should be fine with any procedure....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Gannon

David Gannon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Thank you all for the comments and support, I really appreciate it! :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Personally I've had my ears syringed 2 times now. The first time was at the onset of my T, because docs don't know anything about it. The second was a couple weeks ago because after work I took out my earplugs and lost some hearing in my right ear because the plug pushed wax deep in my ear canal. I've never had an issue from the syringing and from the amount of times I use my earplugs, I'll probably get it done at least once per year from now on.

best/

7. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      My mothers hearing got worse after repeated syringing. The assistant couldn't see anything in here ear canal but syringed anyway. Probably profusely. How unprofessional can you get!
      Now she has a new tinnitus frequency and arguably worse hearing (before and after syringing frequency diagrams).
      Still I do believe this is rare. Most of the time it is not a problem.
      Having said that, I would not accept syringing any more. Why take a risk is my personal opinion. My ENT. has got something that acts like a small scraper. He was able to grab/pull the wax and remove it. It was very easy. No syringe needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. pin123

pin123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing
      @Reinier Has your mothers new frequency from the syringing improved?

9. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Since there was no earwax (the assistant told my mother see couldn't see any wax but syringed anyway to make sure) there was no improvement in hearing.

10. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      A few years ago an ENT pulled out two plugs of wax and hair using a small implement. I recall a tiny grasper with a long straight handle. Worked for me. Not a fan of large syringe blasts of H2O. I've been successful in the past using Debrox for a few days followed by a squirt of water from the rubber bulb ear syringe.