Scared and Worried — Will My Tinnitus Return Back to Normal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Geo Martinez, Jun 14, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Geo Martinez

Geo Martinez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      alright my tinnitus started August 21 and was bad from August 21 to September, September through June it was all fine I had learn to cope with it but June 8 I was hit with very noticeable T and I'm wondering is there a chance for it will go back to normal or stay like this I just feel horrible and kinda need someone with some knowledge to talk to :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It sounds like you have had a big spike that should settle down again if not been around extreme sounds.
      You might have a virus in your system or even wax build up.
      If not already have your ears checked and hearing....lots of love glynis

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. Geo Martinez

Geo Martinez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I thought spikes only lasted about some minutes and aren't constant?

4. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I agree with Glynis see your ENT or MD have him check to see if there is wax buildup that needs to be removed. Also are you eating or drinking anything different or start taking any new medications. Stress is also a cause for a spike in your T. Personally I exercise alot to get rid of adreniline and stay away from caffiene, alcohol, white sugar and sugar substitutes, msg and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables lean meats and fish. My T has lowered slightly and stays pretty constant. Had a spike when ENT put vacuum cleaner in my ears to remove wax but only lasted a few days and dropped back to normal. Stay away from any loud noise or where earplugs...

• Like Like x 1
    5. Geo Martinez

Geo Martinez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      no I kinda have been stressing and anxiety won't let me eat but I've been working out and can a spike be cause by loud noise

6. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Most people use the term "spike" to describe a noticeably uncomfortable change in the level of tinnitus and/or their perception of it. The change can be brief or it can be long term.

And yes, stress and anxiety can have a negative effect on tinnitus levels and/or our perception of them. Pardon the pun but I can't stress enough the importance of learning relaxation techniques when dealing with the acute phase of tinnitus. I can say from personal experience that the techniques really help. Meditation, biofeedback, breathing exercises are all excellent tools to use in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Geo, most spikes are caused by anxiety. I've had many of them. A loud sound, an anxious feeling, poor sleep, depression, reading a scary post ... They can all jack up your perception of your T. No one can tell you how long this will last for ... It's very subjective and dependent on your psychological state and current circumstances. What I can say which I hope you will take away, is that in the absence of any additional hearing loss, it's highly unlikely that your baseline T has increased. The vast, vast majority of these instances are fueled by the anxiety associated with this condition, and I write this as a fellow sufferer. My T fluctuates in perceived volume quite a bit and I've gradually had to accept that I have no control over that. I wish you strength in your battle with T, you will always find support here.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Geo Martinez

Geo Martinez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      how about spikes cause by noise?

9. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Definitely you can get a spike with loud noise. I now where ear protection when running noisy equipment and stay out of noisy places unless im wearing ear plugs or some type protection..

10. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      If spikes are caused by anxiety then how do you explain being awoken from a blissfully deep sleep state with increased tinnitus volume?

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      The brain resets on awakening tinnitus is a big problem for me too. I read a article that it could be somatic related.

Found this:
      Somatic tinnitus is a type of subjective tinnitus in which the frequency or intensity is altered by body movements such as clenching the jaw, turning the eyes, or applying pressure to the head and neck.15 Reports that tinnitus is louder upon awakening suggest the involvement of somatic factors, such as bruxism. Reports that tinnitus vanishes during sleep but returns within a few hours further suggest that psychosomatic factors, such as neck muscle contractions occurring in an upright position or jaw clenching, play etiological roles.16

12. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      They must be caused by more than just anxiety! Tinnitus, like the brain that produces it, is complex and multi-faceted. I get awakened at times by these shrill or stinging spikes, too! From a deep blissful sleep! When I'm feeling good inside. Or sometimes just as I'm going along during the day - that fleeting high sting that gradually fades away again. And at times, I'll be in the thick of stress (and know it) and no spikes. Other times, I could be calmly sitting reading a book and at peace, and there it goes!

• Like Like x 1
    13. Geo Martinez

Geo Martinez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      It's been a week guys I'm scared

14. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Who knows? Maybe for you the limbic system fires up upon waking or perhaps it's already in overdrive but you just don't know it until you regain consciousness. Maybe it's connected to the change in brain wave levels. Since tinnitus is connected to the brain it's hard for anyone to say with certainty yet. More research has to be done.

Suffice to say many many people experience anxiety (and fear and depression) in relation to their tinnitus. Maybe anxiety causes it or maybe it is a side effect of it. Again, who can say? Not enough is known about the condition yet. Hopefully we will get an explanation of what is going on with our brains and our hearing sometime in our lifetimes.

15. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Thanks for sharing experiences. I didn't mean to imply that all T spikes are caused by anxiety, just that after hearing a loud noise, it's frequently anxiety and focus that makes your T seem louder.