School and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alek, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Alek

Alek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 15, 2014
      I am aware that there are a few older threads on this subject but I was hoping to get some support on this topic in addition to others who are currently in school.

I feel as if though my ability to retain information is greatly impaired. The brain fog is incredibly frustrating.

I want to do well. I want to get good grades and provide a future!

I am not a fan of masking but reading material and trying to comprehend thoroughly while having this monster ROARING at you can be quite difficult at times. I can disregard it more than not but when I start getting tired the volume increases.

Sometimes I feel like I am going in circles when I read sections when I study for an extended period of time and begin to notice the monster more...

I just had to vent. Personal stories and advice is welcome.

P.S. I hate being constantly tired every single day. How can I create the future that I want with this lack of energy and mental fatigue? I hope I can do well.

Kind regards

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Alek,
      Please let your head of year know you have tinnitus and the fatigue and brain fog that comes with it that makes concentration poor.
      You should get extra exam time even one to one exam having a reader to relate information to you at your own pace with extra time limit.
      See if you can get this help also in lessons as moast are over an hour and lot to try take in when your tinnitus troublesome .
      Also try get a counsellor to help you through the unwanted emotions as well as finding your feet in life with what you would like to do for your future like college or uni.
      I'm so happy you have found this forum and the BTA have a Advice line.....I'm happy talk to you too .....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alek

Alek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 15, 2014
      I am currently back in university...

4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Alec,
      Great to hear your back in uni and get the support you need and might get extra funding.
      My son is at uni,he's. Epileptic and had his ear bones taken out in one ear but no stopping him....stay strong....lots of love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alek

Alek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 15, 2014
      Im sorry but with due respect what does epilepsy have to do with tinnitus?

6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sorry Alec,
      He has tinnitus too forgot to mention it.
      Hes 20 now and had his ear bones out age 7....
      Stay strong and follow your dreams...lots of love glynis

7. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hi Alec, I'm in university too and also 'again'. Maybe I'm just lucky to have it milder than you, but the truth is I don't hear it that much at school - even if there's not much noise around. That it because the buildings, corridors, classes are so huge, that even silence is loud in it. then if a teacher is speaking and I listen to him/ her, I don't hear my T. Well, I can hear it's 'knocking', I hear it's still there, but I can focus, most of the times..Paradoxically, I also manage to retain info quite easily and I wonder if ot's not thanks to all those drugs I've been taking since the onset which are all supposed to improve blood circulation in the brain and its metabolism of glucose. The side effect is better memory and thinking. Why not try those? Where are you from? However, I'm also very often very exhausted at school cause I suffer from insomnia - APART from T...Even when T is calm and I know that normally I would be able to sleep over it during holidays, stress of school and having to get up makes that I don't sleep..very often. So I hear your fears about the future, I have them too..But I take it day by day, I don't think about the future much. I don't plan any career , also because the reality sucks and even healthy I had difficulty with that. Times are tough for everybody, work is scarce, money's scarce..

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alek

Alek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 15, 2014
      Very enlightening post Gosia, my only frustration is when studying. The anxiety the comes with studying in and of itself when combined with the anxiety of tinnitus can create a vicious combination.

I wish not to be negative. As you mentioned its difficult for everybody. In the real world I do not speak about the problems associate with tinnitus because it only expands the issue, however at times I'm sure all of us with this "symptom" can be truly narrow minded.

I will use your advice in taking it one day at a time and focus on the now. I need to plan my studies when my strength is high and incorporate wise decisions that will assist me with studies.

9. vanderlae
      Doh

vanderlae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2nd
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amoxicillin pill
      I'm scared my tinnitus might affect me in school, Because people are mostly quiet but I am living with it and I'm only in seventh grade, better get used to it