Seeking Advice (Pressure in the Ear, Symptom of Tinnitus or Something Else?)

Discussion in 'Support' started by nealio9, Feb 21, 2016.

1. nealio9
      Cheerful

nealio9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey all,

Not really comfortable saying I "have" T at this point, because it's barely been a week. However, I have some questions and this community seems like the right place to ask.

Early last week I felt a pressure in my right ear—like I had just stepped off a plane, or had water in my ear. I had a sinus infection and know that sometimes it can cause pressure, but the infection has cleared out, and the pressure is still there.

On top of the pressure, about two days ago I started to notice a high-pitched ring in the same ear characteristic of T. However, the pressure is still present, and I haven't seen pressure referred to in most of the symptom literature for T. I've tried ear cleanings, home remedies for ear infections, etc., but the pressure and ringing have not let up. (Although both seem to go in and out; and I can feel my ears popping throughout the day like they're trying to stabilize the pressure).

Basically, I'm wondering if the pressure can be a symptom of T for some people, or if there's something else that might be going on with my ear that I should get checked out to relieve the pressure, and possibly the ringing as well.

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Go see a doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Your ears might have fluid in your ears or wax build up or eustatian tubes blocked .
      Get in see your doctor soon for a check up and hearing test.
      Keep posting for support and let us know how you are getting on.....lots of love glynis

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Voxic
      Cheerful

Voxic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, more than likely fluid behind eardrum
      Hey,

2 months back I started with pressure in both my ears, along with tinnitus the following month, my doctor said I had a fluid build up in both due to probable inflammation in the Eustachian tubes and would take 6-8 weeks approximately to clear up. Whilst I suggest you see your doctor, as mentioned above, I found a heating pad / hot water bottle pressed against the ear (Through a cloth) has helped immensely. It helped soothe the ear ache I was getting and I'm with the belief that its helped speed the whole recovery process up.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nealio9
      Cheerful

nealio9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016

Thanks for the suggestion! I did go see a doctor and they gave me amoxicillin for an ear infection. The "plugged up" sensation has almost entirely gone away, and I have noticed the ringing decrease in volume. Spoke with a friend today who said the same thing happened to her, and the ringing cleared up in a week. I know everyone is different, but the feedback makes me hopeful nonetheless! Any tips for getting a good night's sleep?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nealio9
      Cheerful

nealio9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016

Thanks, glynis! I have seen you post to so many, you are so supportive. It's very much appreciated! The ringing has gone down in volume since I saw my doc and got amoxicillin for an ear infection, so things seem to be going well.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Voxic
      Cheerful

Voxic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, more than likely fluid behind eardrum
      All I can say that's helped me was a fan and my TV. They helped cover the noise of the ringing enough to let me sleep.

8. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      get the steroids right away. NOW.

your window of treatment is about 2 weeks. Get the steroids ASAP. can't stress this enough. You suffered from sudden hearing loss unless it's an earwax compaction