Seeking Balance / Rock Steady — Joey Remenyi

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by carlover, Jan 24, 2019.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      • Like Like x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      So do you think this actually reduces the actual sound of tinnitus like a cure or just helps you to handle the emotional aspect of it like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Tinnitus Retraining Therapy?

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Joey Remenyi is a vestibular audiologist.

upload_2019-1-24_18-36-0.png

She is claiming neuroplasticity can reverse balance issues and tinnitus. (I'm still not sure if she supports habituation for tinnitus or an actual treatment).

I am very skeptical of her to treating physical inner ear damage as reversible using neuroplasticity.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
    5. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Hi @carlover

Yeah, I sub'd to receive her email newsletter. She's a vestibular audiologist and had tinnitus for 4 years (I think) before she got rid of it. I was thinking of getting that Rock Steady program, then I saw the price tag.

6. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      Hmmm... Neuroplasticity. Isn't that essentially what Neuromod/University of Michigahin/University of Minnesota are harnessing with their devices?

7. Jason B

Jason B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1988
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It just turned on one day when I was 18
      Yeah I stumbled across the Rock Steady program yesterday and I thought it looked promising until I saw the $2200 price tag. This woman seems to want to help people but with an unproven method at a really high price tag. My scam alert feelers tingled right away after I saw the cost. I got scammed for thousands by an expensive holistic chiropractic scoliosis treatment through Scolismart Boot Camp for my daughter a few years back. So my defenses are in full red alert now. I would like to know if she has true documented success other than her blabbing on youtube videos about how successful it is.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @carlover
      I actually saw Joey in person. Her clinic is in my hometown.
      She was very nice, basically what she offers is mindfulness.
      I did 3 one hour sessions with her and it set me back $600 AUD.
      I don’t really feel it helped me but I also wasn’t in the right headspace at the time I saw her. It would be different if I saw her now.

I had a fair bit of animosity towards her because of the $$$$ and I still do.
      She is probably good at what she does but that’s a lot of money.

As for tinnitus, I personally highly doubt she has it, or if she does, it’s very mild and she’s able to use her techniques to manage it.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    9. customer1234

customer1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The Seeking Balance program is a complete joke and I hope this honest review saves some hard-working person from spending their money on it. Joey presents herself as a scientist whereas she should really bill herself as some type of new-age guru. She might actually have success in that department.

I bought the full program because in her private Facebook group, everyone talks about their great healing journeys. First, just be informed that if you say anything other than "this program is amazing I'm healing so well" in that group, your comment is deleted and they threaten to ban you. (Happened to me and a number of others I private messaged with).

Second, the program is nothing but fluff. It takes the scientifically valid concept of neuroplasticity and slaps in on a bunch of pseudoscience (things like physically tapping energy points in your body or pretending your own hands can heal). It also covers incredibly basic information, such as the flight/fight response and the need to be well-rested and hydrated, as if it’s some sort of amazing discovery.

Then there’s the bit where it tries to put you in therapy (which she’s very much not qualified to do) asking what our life values are and how we can be more self-compassionate. Participants are assigned vision boards, letters to self, and other hokey exercises. This is fine on its own but utterly unrelated to vertigo, PPPD, and tinnitus.

She provides a few extremely basic exercises for balance. It’s nothing you couldn’t find on the internet with a 10-second search or get from a physiotherapist.

Then there are the hilarious “bonus audios” which is mostly songs she’s written and talks about “connecting to my life force” and “abundance of life”. ?!?!

Her solution to real, life-altering medical problems is to slow down, relax, be kind to yourself, and take a day off. That is insulting and less than useless. The idea is to live again, whereas her idea is to respect your symptoms and let them call the shots.

The one this that I did gain from the program was the ability to accept my symptoms more and not freak out about them when they appear. Anxiety leads to more symptoms, so that is helpful. But seriously, don't waste your money. I'm sure everyone's improvement is nothing but placebo.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Chriscom

Chriscom Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely infection/ear stress after walking pneumonia
      Yeah, I got that sense after joining the Facebook group. I think I'm still a member there but took it off my newsfeed.

I agree with your sense of it and you got into it much more than I did--I signed up for some initial emails and the Facebook group. The presentation struck me as sort of a low-level personality cult. I don't doubt she's lovely in person but she's selling the force of her personality, with attractive, stylized visuals, at least as much as an actual treatment.

That being said, at our current level of understanding tinnitus does seem tightly linked to emotion (it certainly is with me) so taking that route isn't completely useless. It's just that her package seems costly for what you get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I agree as well. Also, I found the program to be contradictory. On one hand she insists everyone needs an individualised program and that generic exercises found online are not that helpful. On the other hand, she sells a group program where everything is pre-programmed and she briefly answers individual questions in a collective call session.
      I think her program can still be helpful but the price is excessive.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @customer1234
      I couldn't agree more. She is apparently a degree qualified vestibular audiologist.
      My ENT actually referred me to her.
      I couldn't deal with her in person, I just didn't click with her. I did my three sessions and moved on.
      We did some tapping and what was important to me etc etc, but it simply wasn't helpful for me.

I've just managed to habituate and found curcumin has helped my tinnitus immensely, but she was so against trying to find something that actually helped....

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Hi Sam

How do you take Curcumin, which type and what quantity?

x

14. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Candy
      I take 1000mg per day.
      The brand I use is Fusion. I’ve tried other brands and they all seem to help.
      Definitely a hormonal / inflammatory link to my tinnitus.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Thank you...

16. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I believe this one deserves to be on the list of tinnitus con artists!

I came across her videos on YouTube and did a bit of google search only to find many unhappy comments of users who, after getting in touch with each other, realised there was no personalised treatment and they were all using the same thing.

All those negative comments are gone and only 5 star reviews remain.

And the fees... You be the judge:

https://www.seekingbalance.com.au/appointment-costs/

I can’t wait for a proper treatment not only for us to get better but also for the suckers like this to be forever buried.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Emma33

Emma33 Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their balanced opinions on this program. I stumbled on one of her videos on YouTube yesterday, and went down the rabbit hole a bit. I signed up for the free email resources, and listened to them, starting to feel like I was in a slow moving sale funnel! Everything (except the ten minute body scan) was directed at pushing me towards the Rock Steady program.

There is a 7 day package for $100, but I’m a bit wary that this won’t have much real content but will just be another sale funnel directing me to Rock Steady.

I do a lot of meditation (mindfulness), so I was interested to see what Joey’s angle was. I can see participants on her Facebook group talking about tapping, kindness towards self, compassion, and gratitude, with a focus on mindfulness and being aware of the amazing bodies we all have. I think that is all good stuff (except maybe tapping? Not sure about that!).

The thing that sets alarm bells for me is that Joey also talks about not playing the victim, and not getting into the ‘drama’ (by which she means asking for advice, complaining etc.) This kind of thing could be damaging to people who may enter this program feeling very positive, but leave without benefit feeling as though everything was their fault because they couldn’t get out of their “victim-mindset”. Programs like this are usually set up so their is no way the program could fail... it is always the individual participant who fails by not being “ready” to heal.

As a meditator, I think that it is actually quite OK for me to have feelings or thoughts of being a victim, they are just another set of sensations that I get to observe with kindness, and I get to see what insights that observation brings me. (Usually a lot!)

To be fair to Joey, she does say there is a space for complaining, getting into negativity etc, and that is with a therapist.

Anyway, I just thought I’d post my comments here in case they are useful to anyone else. If you have 2 grand to spend on a mindfulness program, this probably isn’t a bad one... it will probably help lessen anxiety and fight-or-flight. But, I do think you could get similar benefit by doing program with someone like Jon Kabet-Zin, who specializes in mindfulness based stressed re-education for people with health issues.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Emma33

Emma33 Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Valeri - I came across a question she got on her Facebook page asking why comments had been disabled on her YouTube vids, and she said it was because people were asking for medical advice. That MAY be true, but she may also be trying to control any negative feedback.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Wow I've just seen this and her fees, she is really taking the Mick...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. cjbhab
      Curious

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      Wow. Not paying anyone $10,000 unless the result is me sitting in a silent room with 32 dB foam ear plugs in and all I hear is silence.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Kirstine

Kirstine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress I believe
      Hi Guys :)

Really didn't know where to post this, but wanted to give you some pointers.

Following work with tinnitus specifically:
      I would highly recommend you checking out https://www.seekingbalance.com.au/ for FREE Resources.
      I definately recommend Julian Cowan Hill on YouTube, many may know him already. Also check out his app Quieten. Great app with lots of videos for the price of a cup of coffee :)

Following work more Universally, Spiritually :)
      Dr. Joe Dispenza
      Dr. Bruce Lipton
      Dr. Kim D'Eramo

It's important to know that everything WILL be alright if you let go of the anger, resistance and negativity,

<3

• Funny Funny x 1
    22. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Some resources might be free but overall it sounds like a scam. They're obviously trying to manipulate vulnerable people into buying their programs.

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 18.28.00.png
      And of course the usual "we can all learn to tune it out" misconception.
      Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 18.31.44.png

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    23. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Very insightful, Autumnly:

Joey's "methods" are no more than a slightly more sophisticated version of Julian Cowan Hill's quack rhetoric.

Incidentally, check out JCH's latest video; he recommends laying down on the floor in complete silence for 20 minutes as a method of eliminating tinnitus.

His brand of unctuous seriousness with
      an unintentional but noticeably underlying clownish affect reminds me of David Brent in the UK Office Series.

25. chase.j

chase.j Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-25-15

Hey Dave From Chicago, would you be interested in selling your Desyncra Device to me. Mine was working for me for 3 years and then it was misplaced. I have my Audiologist in San Diego "I am from Texas" that is willing to reprogram a device. However, I would need a device. I can't even locate one and the US market is no longer as you may know. Can you please help?

26. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      One thing she says I agree with. No one or no device can resolve this for you. We need to figure it out. Sadly that is the truth so far...

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I was going to review her video presentation but after reading the comments on this thread NO THANK YOU. Sounds suspect.

28. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Just another version of Julian Cowan Snake (that's 27 times :LOL::LOL::LOL:)

29. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To chase.j:

I believe that when Desyncra deactivated my iPod they completely erased all data and encrypted the device. It is now nothing more than an average Apple iPod.

For better or worse, the "therapy" period extends for 36 weeks. Have you actually been using this every day for three years?

Also, I did not know that this was no longer available in the US Market. If you really want a duplicate, then you should contact their European Home Office.

Dave

30. Arlu88

Arlu88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue
      Hi guys,

I can't help but immediately feel extremely cautious around people who offer "online self-help programs" which cost this amount of money.

On the Seeking Balance website it says this:
      "Outcome Measures and Our Research Data:
      There were 6,136 people using Seeking Balance resources as of 17th January, 2019."

If you do the math and there were really so many people who subscribed to that program (I wouldn't necessarily believe that) and everybody paid 2,200 AUD (I would believe that this price might have been even higher in the past), then people would have collectively paid over 13,420,000 AUD for the program.

THIRTEEN MILLION Australian dollars. That is an amount of money which would secure multiple families for multiple generations. I'm sorry, but I find that all sorts of wrong and unethical, no matter if it helped even one person.
      So either they are charging a horrendous amount of money for something which is not that great, or they are lying on the website and showing false data. Both of this options are problematic IMO.