Seems Like I Can't Eat Anything

Discussion in 'Support' started by erniej, Jun 28, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. erniej
      Assassinator

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not so sure now...
      I posted a number of months ago that I was having problems with my tinnitus spiking when I ate certain foods.
      It's gotten down to the point where my tinnitus goes through the roof after any meal. I was going through most of the day not eating and eating a large meal at dinner. I started eating smaller meals throughout the day and that worked fine for a while. Now it doesn't matter what I eat or how I spread out my meals.
      I woke up this morning and my ears were ringing at a very comfortable level and then I had some cottage cheese spread on a rice cake and two slices of a pear and the ringing went through the roof.
      About the only thing I can seem to tolerate is chicken wings. No joke. I have been having to cut out certain foods one at a time. First it started out with things like pork, then broccoli, then beef, then ice cream, etc. etc.
      Has anyone else had this problem? Pretty soon I'll be down to water.

I've been battling this for 10 months now and it's starting to take it's toll. I'm 65. I have been having chest pains so my doctor sent my for an EKG Stress Test last week. First they did a simple EKG, the technician took a photo of the results and emailed it to a cardiologist. He looked at it and decided to schedule a nuclear imaging stress test for tomorrow morning. This is one shitty affliction.

2. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Every single food spikes my T. I do not know why since my T was caused from benzo w/d.

3. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Shitty indeed.
      Have you tried lowering (or completely removing) salt and sugar from your meals?
      Salt and sugar are considered as tinnitus triggers...

Also, wheat products and dairy have been known to cause inflammation for some folks and maybe should be avoided.

I 'm no expert but I think you need to start 'logging' your meals each day and try to find your tinnitus triggers.

4. erniej
      Assassinator

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not so sure now...
      So is mien! I started tapering off of 8MGs daily of Xanax over a year ago. I'm down to .875MGs Klonopin daily right now.
      But this food problem just started about 1 1/2 months ago.

5. erniej
      Assassinator

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not so sure now...
      Just like undecided, EVERYTHING makes my tinnitus go through the roof. I'm going to try eating turkey. Chicken wings and turkey. I'm not joking. I'm desperate. And, right now I'm having stabbing chest pains as I'm typing this. Good, let's get this shit over with. I'm thinking of skipping the stress test tomorrow and let nature take it's course. No one can get mad at me for having a heart attack. I'm not having any fun. AT ALL.

6. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      8 MG Xanax! Wow that is huge! I cold turkeyed clonazepam for 6 months ago and got bad T. I thought it was severe back then but now I know what is severe tinnitus. Now I can hear my tinnitus everywhere. At bus, in streets like everywhere. I wish I still had it like 6 m/os ago. I would count myself healed then.

7. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi erniej,
      Could it be the movement of your jaw causing your tinnitus to spike when you eat....Have a read up on TMJ
      ........lots of love glynis

8. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Does TMJ ever get better? I've been in treatment. I've notices slight changes in pressure and muscle movement in my ears, but they ringing is still the same. It has been fluctuating a little more recently after being static since day one.

9. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      TMJ can go away for some people and some need a mouth guard to wear through the night to help.
      Mine has gone completely after having it over 37 years after having some dental work done and my bite corrected....lots of love glynis

10. erniej
      Assassinator

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not so sure now...
      Today and yesterday I had cottage cheese, canned pears and rice cakes. The last couple of days sandwich steaks. All pretty easy to chew. The steaks were very tender. I've never had TMJ. This problem with the tinnitus getting louder after a meal is something new. I love a pork loin roast. Pork sends my tinnitus skyrocketing. Eating more frequent, smaller meals during the day was working great and then the shit hit the fan. Again.

11. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Might be your pulse goes up slightly after eating ....just a thought.
      Hope others will be able add to your post.
      Tinnitus sure has lots of causes.....lots of love glynis

12. erniej
      Assassinator

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not so sure now...
      later this evening:
      Things got somewhat quieter and I was hungry so about 15 minutes ago I decided to have something to eat. The volume just got louder. I never thought I'd live to see the day when eating was the wrong thing to do.

13. Paul Welsh

Paul Welsh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Hey erniej. I have the exact same problem. I've had tinnitus since 2007 due to loud noise exposure. I habituated to it and lived with it til the start of this year (January), when it got to the point where it was unbearable, after working two back to back jobs where they played music in the store. I had to quit both because of this. I then noticed that shortly after that I couldn't tolerate ANY sound. Talking to people, traffic, toilet flushing, etc. These daily sounds became unbearable to me and hasn't got any better. Then one day after dinner, I took a nap and woke up with my ears ringing like crazy. It drove me up the wall and went on like this for a week. I knew it was due to what I ate so I decided not to even eat for a week. The following month, what I ate was very limiting because I was scared to set it off again. Then the little that I was eating started to affect my ears after I ate. It got so bad that I decided not to eat for nearly a month. Then I was reduced to just eating cashew nuts every day. Now it seems that my ears can't even handle that.

I've been like this since January and it's now nearly September. I was hoping to hear that you have had some good news with your condition that you can share? If not, just know that at least you know there's at least one person out there that understands exactly what you're going through! :)

Paul.

14. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I try not to eat after 7pm or my t will be unbearable during the night. Anything sugary is out as it also causes spikes. I am trying ayurvedic now so I have cut out caffeine and alcohol. However if after 5 or 6 months I don't notice an improvement I will welcome back caffeine and alcohol like a shot!
      Ayurvedic medicine sees tinnitus as a vata imbalance so certain foods are out e.g brown rice, pineapples and most fruit as well as some dairy. They also rule out pork and beef. It might be interesting to check what foods you are eating and see whether the ayurvedic system mentions them.

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      @erniej how are you doing these days man