Self-Test/Discovery for Link Between Tight Neck and Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by The Red Viper, Mar 5, 2017.

1. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Hey guys! Been a while since I've been on the forum but I can say that I've been doing well. I came to highly, highly suspect that my issues (ear fullness, headaches, T) were due to some kind of neck injury near the base of my skull. I saw a spine doctor and he suspected that I may have developed some kind of tendonitis of the trapezius muscle, right where it connects to the skull. Since then I have been doing physical therapy for the neck and it seems to be helping. Only time will tell at this point.

However, that's not why I'm posting today. What I want to discuss with you guys the possible link between tight neck muscles and functioning of the Eustachian tube. I've found that after physical therapy and a neck massage, my Eustachian tube functions normally and I don't even notice my ear.

So I was messing around and discovered something. If I take my hand and press on certain areas of my neck, it inhibits air from moving through the Eustachian tube. I tested this by taking my right hand (in a "karate chop" orientation) and pressing right behind my ear, then subsequently trying to perform the valsalva maneuver. I had difficulty getting my right ear to "fill" with air, likely due to the compression. I want to know if others can replicate this. First, do the valsalva maneuver and notice how easily you can get the initial "pop." Clear your ears and try it again, but this time, put pressure on the back of your neck and see how hard it is to get the initial pop. I've included a pic for reference. Try messing around with applying pressure in different positions.

My theory is that a spasming muscle or an inflamed muscle could be putting pressure on the area around the tube, causing it to have trouble opening under normal circumstances (e.g. swallowing). This could be a clue into why some people have a "full" ear but don't have any signs of infection, inflammaion, mucus, fluid, etc.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It could also be a possible link to somatosensory or "neck" tinnitus. If the area around the sternocleidomastoid is inflamed, in spasm, or otherwise "tight," it may be exciting the nerves in the local area. I myself notice that if I tilt my head forward and then subsequently tilt my head to the left while trying to make my chin go to the right and up, I get a temporary modulation of the T. It doesn't happen when I do it the other way. I also get pain in the base of my skull on the right side. As there is no way to objectively diagnose muscle strain, tendonitis, etc. absent a huge tear I can't provide any "proof" other than my own subjective observations and pain sensations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My guess is that pressure on the sternocleidomastoid (SCM) muslce (due to tightness, inflammation, spasm, etc.) inhibits full function of the Eustachian tube. Interestingly, it also functions as a sheath for the internal carotid artery, internal jugular vein, and the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve is suspected by some researchers to be responsible for tinnitus in some cases. Thus if someone experiences pulsatile T as well as regular T, it could be pressure in that region, causing turbulent blood flow as well as a "pinched" vagus nerve (thus causing tinnitus). Not just the SCM muscle but other muscles in the general area (e.g. trapezius, splenius, scalenes) could be implicated. So watch out for neck injuries and pay attention if you have any neck pain/headaches in addition to T, pulsatile T, or a clogged ear. Especially if you haven't been exposed to noise and can confidently rule out hearing loss.

• Like Like x 1
    4. MaryK

MaryK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March '17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, head trauma 1.5 years ago
      Hi Red Viper, welcome back and thanks for sharing! I'm new to T (one month) and trying to figure it out. I had a bicycling accident about 1 1/2 year ago and did have mild whip lash and lost consciousness - possible neck injury?. I've tried some of what you suggested but am not sure I'm doing it right.

Just to see how our symptoms match, do you get temporary relief from the finger drumming method or by any chance do you have an electric toothbrush and do you get any relief from that? I do. It's temporary but it does give some relief.

Monday I'm going for a massage. I've also been on an antibiotic for a possible sinus infection but it did nothing. May 1 I've an appointment for an ENT.

Mine is definitely not related to noise.

I do have shoulder pain with referred pain down my arm. I've been thinking this was not related but who knows!

( hoping you're still around)

5. coldroses
      Sleepy

coldroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury from pedestrian accident with car
      Thanks for posting this, Red Viper. As well as having T I get a lot of aural fullness and have trouble swallowing. Funnily enough, since my accident I also have an extremely tender region at the base of my skull that causes pain even with the slightest pressure from touch - suffice to say this has been tied with severe neck pain for almost three years now. I have wondered whether there's something coalescing between the nerves and muscles in that region, but have only given fleeting consideration to any link with the Eustachian tube. I will give this a go.

6. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      I'm reading this with great interest. Myself, I suffered a head injury back in January. My T is not pulsatile however, it is a constant tone, high pitched, primarily in my right ear (or right side of the head). Applying pressure to my temple region, moving my jaw a certain way, and turning/bending my neck all the way towards one direction (to my left) increases the pitch of my T. I never suspected noise as not only did I not suffer acoustic trauma at the onset of T, I have suffered no hearing loss so far. The finger drumming technique however does nothing for me.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MaryK @coldroses @RonnieCarzatto

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. When I do the test I still notice more resistance to the valsalva maneuver when I press down on that area of my neck. Try doing the karate chop from the bottom up to mess around. Basically, the "soft" part underneath your jaw should be where to mess around.

Additionally, here's another test. Instead of doing the valsalva maneuver, try to force open the tube by opening your jaw really wide and exhaling. Normally, when you do this, you'll "feel" air being blown into your middle ear. So here's the test: do a valsalva to get your ears to overpressurize; now open your jaw really wide and exhale deeply and you'll feel the air clear. That's the baseline. Now valsalva again and your ears will feel "full," but this time, do the karate chop and try the jaw clearing technique. You'll notice that the side without the karate chop will clear but the side with pressure from the karate chop will never clear.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here's an additional nerve hypothesis that I have. Take a look at the pic attached. The facial nerve is one of the closest nerves to the cochlear nerve. The branch of the facial nerve behind the ear just happens to be near the attachment point of the sternocleidomastoid muscle. My theory is that tension or injury to the tendon that connects the muscle to the skull may irritate the posterior part of the facial nerve and interfere with the auditory signaling.

Attached Files:

9. MaryK

MaryK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March '17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My ears won't clear. Red Viper, it sounds like you can clear you ears? Is that correct?

Recently I flew in a plane and one ear did clear and I hoped for relief but it was a false hope. Also before flying I was afraid with the pressure change I might have extreme ear pain but it did not happen.

Trying to figure this out.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I can clear my ears. However what I discovered was ways for people that can clear their ears to be able to "simulate" the effects of people who can't clear their ears. For example, like in my first post, by putting pressure on parts of the neck you can make it harder to clear your ears. Perhaps this is happening naturally in people who have trouble clearing their ears. In other words instead of external pressure there is something internal that acts the same way.

11. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    13. MaryK

MaryK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March '17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks just1morething! There's so much information on this website it's a lot to digest. I'm going to try out your exercises. I noticed you posted the neck exercises back in 2014. Are you still doing them? How long do you hold them for and how many repetitions?

Red Viper - I hope the PT is working. It seems to fall in line with some of these other posts.

Thanks!
      Mary

14. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MaryK, I will probably start trying them again along with PT. I don't know how long you hold them for or number of repetitions as it was a post from someone named Patricia on another forum. Nothing guaranteed, but some other ideas relating to tinnitus besides inner ear damage. My neck feels weak and my noise loud atm, so I have to try something.

15. MaryK

MaryK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March '17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh ok got it just1morething! Thanks for the update.

16. MaryK

MaryK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March '17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And good luck with the PT! I'm trying a Chiropractor but she does not do strong movements (no bone cracking)

• Like Like x 1
    17. Nita Caffrey

Nita Caffrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't clear my ears, but I do get some relief from the Chiropractic technique called NUCCA. No bone cracking but they have a special movement on a special table that moves the 1st cervical, which is kindof up in your skull. I have a severe whiplash and it has helped that a lot.

18. BreachOfEuphoria
      Thinking

BreachOfEuphoria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    19. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Sounds like my situation

20. Boulderdash

Boulderdash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Recently
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Red Viper - I realize this post is pretty old but I was wondering if you’re still exploring the topic, and if physical therapy was working for you? I think I might be able to provide some interesting empirical data about my own situation. Let me know.

21. donotringatme

donotringatme Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD, TMD, CI
      This definitely needs a bump, along with the threads linked by @just1morething.