'Severe' Tinnitus Sufferer After COVID-19 Infection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CL Rangerman, Apr 1, 2023.

1. CL Rangerman

CL Rangerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid virus caused severe tinnitus.
      Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself.

I have been struggling with 'severe' bilateral tinnitus for over one and a half years now (along with complete loss of taste and smell) from the COVID-19 virus since October 2021.

I did have 'mild' tinnitus for about five years previous to that but I only noticed it in very quiet environments, usually in the mornings and evenings. It did not bother me then because it was very faint and I could easily dismiss it.

That all changed, literally overnight, as a result of the COVID-19 virus.

What I am hearing now is the pitch/frequency that I heard then (6000 Hz) constantly, no fluctuation or variation but it is devastatingly loud, to the point where it has become debilitating.

The simple reason that I know what I now have is severe tinnitus, is because I can compare it to when I had mild tinnitus.

I now know the difference, sad to say.

This affliction is relentless and merciless. It has affected every area of my life and has been slowly destroying me. From the moment that I wake up until the time that I am finally able to sleep (and that, not very much or often), it is sheer torture.

I will post again more of my history with this but for now, I really do not feel well enough to continue typing out the words.

I have spent much time here on Tinnitus Talk, reading many posts over the last year and a half and finally thought that I would make a post myself.

Farewell for now,
      CL Rangerman

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hi @CL Rangerman, you are similar to me. I had mild tinnitus since 2015, which worsened to severe tinnitus with hyperacusis, with external sound ramping it up. I do have severe/profound unilateral high frequency hearing loss, which got worse with it.

Looking at what caused yours probably won't help, although considering recent loud noise exposure or vaccinations is worth brief contemplation, along with COVID-19, because they are known causes.

You could try diligent use of Clonazepam, which works for some. Many say not to use it regularly though.

Sound therapy may help over time.

Magnesium Glycinate sometimes helps.

If depression is setting in, then an antidepressant (not SSRI as they can make it worse) of the tricyclic variety may help. Typically Amitriptyline, Doxepin or Deanxit are used.

Not easy.

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CL Rangerman

CL Rangerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid virus caused severe tinnitus.
      @Nick47, thank you for your response. I appreciate that.

I have tried both the SSRIs and the tricyclics, based on my GP's recommendation even though I am really not depressed.

'Severe' tinnitus is the issue.

They just made me feel worse than I already do. And did not help my extremely loud tinnitus in any way.

I am at a loss now because I have tried everything to help with this but to no avail. I am watching my life collapse around me, literally. And I am trying to now figure out what my options are. There are only a few, if not one...

I cannot continue to live like this for very much longer, nor do I want to live like this for the remainder of my life. It is a very terrible place to be in.

All because of this 'damn' tinnitus.

But, thank you for taking the time to try and help me. That means a lot to me.

CL

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @CL Rangerman, have you tried Clonazepam? Something that works for many with severe tinnitus...

You must look at all options.

Hearing aids? A combination approach is best so if you have hearing loss, then hearing aids is worthy of a consideration. Magnesium can improve sleep. A combination of medications at low doses can help; some people here visited the Brai3n clinic and do well on Deanxit/Aripiprazole 2 mg/Clonazepam 0.5 mg and low dose Naltrexone.

If your tinnitus is somatic, then adding Cyclobenzaprine can help.

And CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)...

In other words, throw everything possible at this. If each thing improves your tinnitus by 5-10%, the clinical benefit is big.

5. chinup

chinup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My manageable tinnitus was drastically worsened by the Pfizer vaccine. I now have about 15-20 tones. Fortunately they have slowly decreased in intensity and volume over the past 2 years and my tinnitus, while severe, is no longer life threatening. I hope you get the same relief.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      @CL Rangerman, so sorry to hear this. This sounds so true.

I am myself a new severe sufferer. We've been paranoid and managed to avoid COVID-19 for nearly three years. Yet, I got severe tinnitus due to my own stupidity and acoustic trauma. I might have had cold or maybe even COVID-19 at the time of the trauma, but I am sure it was not the deciding factor. I had four jabs of vaccine (Moderna/Pfizer combo), and did get any lasting side effects out of those (just 1-2 days of headache/tirednessness each time).

I still blame Covidy because of the upheaval it caused in our lives. Damn Chinese (and U.S. sponsored) plague. These people should be in hell, not us, victims.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      @CL Rangerman, so sorry to hear of your situation. Have you at all done some research on doctors who have come up with specific protocols to help those with long haul COVID-19 symptoms/conditions? It is very much worth looking into. If mine was caused by COVID-19 in any way, I’d be ringing their phones. They are more functional medicine based but they very much understand how the spiked proteins work and how to detox them. I had distorted taste and smell for about 2 years from getting COVID-19 in December 2020, and now it’s 90% back to normal I’d say.

• Agree Agree x 1