Severe Unilateral Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Out of the Blue

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Northeaster, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Northeaster

Northeaster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Hello folks. So here's in my scary story. I am a 32 year old male, fly lots for work, never had too much problem with my hearing. I was back in London recently for the holidays, (if memory serves I feel asleep with my earbuds in on the descent at quite a volume). I did notice in a pub later that day back on the ground, in my left ear I could barely hear and it felt like I was listening in a tunnel or something. Within a few hours I was fine. I fly a lot and thinking back in previous years I do sometimes have a few issues with that ear after flying but it never lasted long. It just used to sound muffled for a while not tinnitus. I also go to a lot shows, big music fan and probably have listened to my music too loud in the past (open planned office). Some recreational drugs use in my twenties (C) but knocked that on the head for the most part (certainly have now).

Anyway, I was in Vegas first week of Jan for a conference. Got back to the North East and I was sick, a bunch of us from work were, desert air and then back to the winter and all that. Didn't think much of it just that I was blocked up and some head pressure. I picked up the phone and held to the left ear and noticed I couldn't hear anything, then in the coming days began to notice rushing sounds. Still thinking it was a pressure and sickness thing I went to urgent care, they flushed me out and gave me some anti inflammatory drugs, said take for a week. I took for a few days and noticed zero improvement something seemed off for to me, got an appointment at ENT.

Unfortunately it took longer than I hoped to get into ENT, they ran a bunch of auditory tests it was established I have a severe unilateral loss in the left ear. I also periodically (about 5 times a day) get this weird beeping sound in that side. Almost like Morse code or something. Seems like my brain is trying to send a signal and it's getting bounced back or something. My ENT ordered a tone of blood work, CT Scan and brain MRI. I think he is concerned about an Acoustic Neuroma. The one thing I am holding onto is that my loss was sudden and it sound's like those with a AN it's usually gradual? Anyway I am on 60 MG of Pred (steroids) for the next few weeks. I am 5 days in and my symptoms have not changed (apart from the side effects of the drugs). My best friends took me out for dinner last night to try and cheer my up and background noise is just horrible in anywhere slightly loud. As a relatively healthy 32 year old this has really shook me and noticing zero improvement on the meds isn't doing much to calm me. I took my first dose of Preds 14 days after landing from Vegas so maybe the nerve is just dead? Maybe it's a tumor? The course of meds is 21 days long, how long could they take to work if a tall.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      60mg of prednisalone is a high dose and after 7-10 day course a slow taper of 5mg every 4th day will be needed.
      Prednisalone can keep you awake and feeling high in energy but coming off it can give you uncontrollable crying and depressive moods and fatigue and other symptoms.
      Prednoslone is mainly for respiratory problems and should never be given out without knowing the risks.
      If you are on 60 mg for 7 days a reduction would take 10-12 weeks to get off it and adrenal fateauge can be dangerous.
      Love glynis

Ps-im a sever asthmatic and know what im talking about regarding Prednisalone.
      Love glynis

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Looks like you did the right thing: Prednisone is usually what is prescribed for sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Give it some time. Sometimes if Prednisone doesn't work, doctors offer to do a steroid shot into the ear, as a last attempt.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Northeaster

Northeaster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Thanks, taking drugs that increase anxiety whilst waiting for a brain MRI to establish or rule out a tumor is so fun..... UGH

5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yeah I remember I was also a bit restless when I was on prednisone. Nights weren't very good.
      The good news is it's only temporary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      People always focus on the bad side effects of prednisone - yes you will feel restless but also full of energy , hitting the gym hard is a good plan .. also your libido will be boosted, definitely worth inviting the GF for some extra fun and good memories

I doubt a healthy man is going to burst into tears just for coming off prednisone. I certainly did not but I did feel a bit groggy and that was after not tapering off as I was too lazy to do it

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Northeaster

Northeaster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Finally some good news.

MRI in 7 days, keeping everything crossed.

8. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Make sure to take good foam plugs with you - MRI can be quite loud

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Definitely continue to follow up with your ENT, I am not a doctor, but if it makes you feel better, what you're describing sounds a lot more like sudden sensorineural hearing loss than an acoustic neuroma (which tend to be insidious rather than sudden, as you suggested).

SSNHL isn't well understood and sometimes leads to long-term problems, other times leads to a gradual restoration of hearing and reduction in symptoms over weeks / months. The good news is that this is the one single case where there's decent evidence to support steroids, and you're already on them -- the bad news is that steroids are most effective when taken immediately following the SSNHL event, and it sounds like you were already a couple weeks in.

Sucks, sorry to hear you're dealing with this, but it's much more likely to be something very annoying than to be something life threatening like an AN. As for how long you'll have to wait to know if it's going to improve -- it's a crap shoot, I've seen people report improvement as much as 6 months after a SSNHL event. My brother blasted his ears with a severe noise trauma and was basically deaf on one side for close to a year, before eventually regaining much of his hearing.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Northeaster

Northeaster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Had MRI and CT scan yesterday. Just received this from my ENT DR

"CT and MRI were read as being normal"

So that's good news, right!? I have a follow up with him next Monday. The Steroids have not worked but I am pleased to rule out AN, to say the least.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Northeaster

Northeaster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Update on this. Went back to ENT today, more audio results, no improvement or response to oral Steroids. Just had a steroid injection to the inner ear and will have two more over the next couple of weeks.

All clear from MRI and CT scan confirmed. However, I wonder if anyone with some medical knowledge can help me here. He said got told the following "blood work abnormality, had genetic markers that meant I was at risk of autoimmune inner ear disease but I didn't have the antibodies". So I am risk of it but don't have it? I guess? Seems confusing.

Either way for now sounds like i have SSNHL but the tinnitus is driving me the most crazy. I wonder if I respond to the steroid injection, it's been five weeks total no :(

12. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's a last resort procedure but it's worth doing so you're doing the right thing. I went through the same steps: oral steroids, then intratympanic.

I am sympathetic as I know first hand that the combination of T and hearing loss can be difficult to deal with, since masking techniques (as well as sound therapies) are quite challenging with the hearing loss in the way.

Let's hope you recover your hearing (even if partly). Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Lululady

Lululady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Autoimmune?
      Hi. If it helps at all, I have a long history of auto immune issues but still have no antibodies. It can happen but it makes it harder for the doctors to deal with. If it is AI then I would have thought the pred would have helped - 60mg is a sizeable dose. I hope the injections help.

14. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Might be worth trying some HBOT therapy at this point as a last resort. The singer of Belgian metal band Channel Zero suffered an acoustic trauma a few years back and was deaf in one ear for a month due to the insane volume of one of the onstage monitors. HBOT treatment ‘loosened up’ his ear and restored a fair bit of his hearing (source: online interview)

15. J.A. Smith

J.A. Smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      virus/labyrinthitis
      I lost my hearing in my left ear on 03 November 2017. I was put on oral steroids for a week, no improvement. I went to an ENT and elected to get steroid shots thru the ear drum. I did three and stopped. From total loss to minimaml hearing in left. I've lost 85-90% of hearing in left ear. I also developed T in December, low grade, hissing/static sound, sometime low ringing. It lowers in volume at night after I've slept. It raises in volume as I work my day. I'm getting fitted for Phonak CROS B hearing aides this coming Monday. I'm also taking CBD oil. It has helped my headaches and vertigo. I'm also on capsules with ginkco/zinc/garlic. Hope you improve. I'm still hopeful most days.