Sharp Spikes While Falling Asleep?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Richard Wallace, May 22, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Hi folk's, I have something to share here. For about the past couple of weeks when I'm starting to fall asleep I all of a sudden get sharp volume spikes from the T in my ears and head. It startles the daylights out of me. It seems to be happening every night now before I can get to sleep and when I wake up at night and try to go back to sleep it happens more. I use a white noise machine and a fan at night for masking the T. Has anybody else had this weird stuff happen to them? Thanks..... God Bless....... Rich

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
    3. Alex Senkowski
      Tolerant

Alex Senkowski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      They happen to me occasionally as well. I'll be on the cusp of sleep and suddenly I'll hear a sound like a gunshot, a scream, or a dog bark. Unless people really ARE shooting and killing each other in the apartments surrounding mine.

4. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Hi Nucleo and Alex, thanks for responding to my post. When weird stuff starts to happen to a person they begin to feel isolated and anxiety sets in. I've vaguely heard of "exploding head syndrome" but will research it some. Thanks for posting the link Nucleo. God Bless...... Rich

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      This has happened to me a number of times. It almost feels like a miniature seizure, bolt of electricity going down the wrong pathway.

For what it's worth, the first time it happened was at least a couple years ago, and if anything it's gotten less frequent / severe since then.

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Oh ya.
      Night time is crazy. I have a lot of restlessness because of the furnace/AC kicking on. So I cover the registers.
      Any little creak or pop at night and I react like it's a car horn.

7. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      When I am just about to fall to sleep, but I don't and wake up again, then I often have a loud T. Weird...

8. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      yes this is me also..half the time with ear aches

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Well, if you fell sleepy, took a short snap and wake up and your T is through the roof, that is quite normal. It is called the Awakening Response. Dr. Nagler has written quite a bit of detail about this phenomenon and here is what he said about it:

"I have always felt it to be due to the role of the reticular formation in tinnitus perception. The reticular formation is a primitive structure in the brain stem. It's a "vital sign monitor." When you wake up, the RF checks to see whether or not you are alive! It looks for heartbeat, respirations, blood pressure, temperature - basic bodily signs. It does not care whether or not these signs are good or bad - just that they are present. And as far as the RF is concerned, tinnitus is part of "expected" body function in an individual suffering from severe intrusive tinnitus. So when you wake, your RF checks to see whether or not tinnitus is present. And if it doesn't immediately find the tinnitus, the RF seeks it with a vengeance - - especially in the post-nap state, when there has been inadequate REM sleep and when, therefore, the RF is on already "high alert" that something might not be quite right. Theoretically - very theoretically - this RF hyperactivity in seeking tinnitus, which in a person with severe intrusive tinnitus it equates with life, results in temporarily markedly augmented tinnitus perception."

10. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The same here, it is part of the T game.

11. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Thanks to all of you who responded. Like I mentioned above when something else starts happening on top of the wretched T, it makes you feel almost like you're all alone with the new thing going on and it causes anxiety. We have enough on our plates already. Take care and God bless.......... Rich

12. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      after I fall asleep my T wakes me up after about an 1 hour or so. It's really loud when it wakes me up. My body however feels like I was just in the deepest part of my sleep. like my body is almost floating or buzzing. It seems that when my body gets into that deep sleep the T interrupts it and wakes me up. Then of course it's hard to fall back asleep.

13. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Is it a loud explosion that wakes you up? Or just the loud continuous tinnitus noise ? I read that the loud explosion just after falling asleep is theorized as auditory cortex seizure. They can be treated with some medicine I dont remember it's name . google it and see

Just a guess, maybe its your neck position while sleeping? Why dont you change your pillow and see if it helps you

14. Tennrltr
      Depressed

Tennrltr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall in 2014
      Mine seems to start when I am tired and set down to rest. I head either falls to side or a sudden jerk and there it goes.How can you stay alert 24/7 almost ? Cant !! What is your solution ? Just asking.... God Bless !!!