Sharp Tinnitus Spikes While Falling Asleep?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Richard Wallace, May 22, 2015.

1. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Hi folks. I have something to share here.

For about the past couple of weeks when I'm starting to fall asleep I, all of a sudden, get sharp volume spikes from the tinnitus in my ears and head. It startles the daylights out of me. It seems to be happening every night now before I can get to sleep. When I wake up at night and try to go back to sleep it happens more. I use a white noise machine and a fan at night for masking the tinnitus.

Has anybody else had this weird stuff happen to them?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      They happen to me occasionally as well. I'll be on the cusp of sleep and suddenly I'll hear a sound like a gunshot, a scream, or a dog bark. Unless people really ARE shooting and killing each other in the apartments surrounding mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Hi Nucleo and Alex, thanks for responding to my post. When weird stuff starts to happen to a person, they begin to feel isolated and anxiety sets in. I've vaguely heard of "exploding head syndrome" but will research it some. Thanks for posting the link Nucleo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This has happened to me a number of times. It almost feels like a miniature seizure, bolt of electricity going down the wrong pathway.

For what it's worth, the first time it happened was at least a couple years ago, and if anything it's gotten less frequent / severe since then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ian Donald

Ian Donald Member

Thank god I'm not the only one. I have had tinnitus for a good number of years now and thought I was coping, but then about a month ago it went up another level and now when falling asleep i get these sudden noises/ jolts that are quite frightening. Horrible sensation. I sympathise with anyone getting this too.

Thanks to all for sharing. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1