Shift in Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alex Senkowski, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      My T has been pretty consistent for the past few years. Things changed last month when a tone in my left ear, originally high-pitched but quiet, suddenly turned lower-pitched but louder.

It's not painful, but it is more noticeable and seems reactive to something.

Is it reacting to sound? My mood? Have I simply become more mindful of it while it hasn't changed at all? I haven't noticed any change in my hearing.

Whatever the cause, it's really messing up my gaming time. I bought Resident Evil 7 a few days ago and it's really hard to get absorbed in the awesome atmosphere with that annoying droning in my ear.

Again, I'm not in distress, just ANNOYED.

2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      The shift in your tinnitus could be a normal change in tinnitus, sometimes tones and their type change. It might be irreversible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yeah, it's not worse but it is different. I've been used to the tones being a very specific way that even a small change messes everything up. But during the last few days things have been a lot better.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hey all. A strange thing happened last night. The aforementioned fluctuating T in my left ear had been bothering me for weeks, and on Saturday it was worse than it had ever been. So bad that I was having panic attacks. But yesterday, I had a really nice and pleasant day, and the T receded significantly I hope as a result. Anyway, when I got home I started playing Resident Evil 2 with my headphones on. And while I was playing, I felt a weird crack in the area around my left ear and the T receded even further to the point of being nearly gone entirely. The 'crack' sensation wasn't painful, it actually felt nice like a muscle or joint being loosened up by massage. And now my T is back being quietly baseline and more comfortable than it's been in weeks, maybe months. SO WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? Aside from having a nice day yesterday, I did nothing to cause my T to recede and yet it did on its own. How?

• Like Like x 1
    5. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Could it be related to your Otosclerosis?

I am really interested in why T can be so fluctuating like this. My T is making changes almost daily and I never get the hang of where it is going next or how it acts. Just one of those things with T that cant be explained I guess.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Like I said, I had a really nice day yesterday. That seemed to do something. Maybe I had some knotted muscle above the ear that finally unwound or something like that. I felt a pleasing crack and the fullness was released and the T quietened. You know that feeling of fullness? It's nearly gone now. The T is still there, but it's back to the level I've been used to for the past few years.

7. Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, positivity is always a good thing.
      Tension in the jaws is very known and there are quite some muscles located there.
      Try looking up a stretch video on Youtube for the jaw...

I am glad that you are experiencing a drop in your levels, it provides some hope at least :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yeah, I'm trying to figure it out so I'll know what to do when my T gets bad again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Makrohn
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have been thinking on trying to monitor my T more, but I cant really see any pattern. Could be food, sleep, stress or just random stuff. Really hard to tell.

But keep us updated if you find some answers, I wish you well!