Shooting with Ear Protection, Still Possible Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichardRR, May 25, 2015.

1. RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      So I went camping this weekend, and there was some shooting we did outdoors. I had my ears plugged even when I wasn't shooting, and when I did shoot, the first time I shot (both times were pistols) I had plugs and ear muffs. The second time I had only muffs.

Took NAC when I got home just to make sure, but there probably won't be any damage right?

2. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      If u dont feel it right away no.. But honestly that is the dumbest thing you can do if you have T...even if u double stuffed your ears.. Thats playing with fire..

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Guns can be as loud as 150 dB.

Muffs and plugs together won't give you even 50 dB of protection (you can't just add the two NRR's together, doesn't work like that!)

You are playing with fire, like @Geo said...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Yeah I know, I probably won't be doing it again and probably shouldn't have done it. Spur of the moment type thing. I don't think it's any worse this morning, and if it is it might just be me over thinking it.

P.s., there are still people on the board who go shooting all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I go to the range once every few months for an hr and am taking defensive course next weekend.. level 2 course. Yay buddy..

my T is same after shooting.. I use plugs plus muffs.

6. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      If you didn't notice anything I say your fine. Anxiety only makes it worse. It's only a few shots and with double protection I wouldn't worry.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      As fun as that sounds, I personally wouldn't risk any further damage as I'd be scared that it'll make tinnitus worse. Or you'll be paranoid as hell and you'd be worrying and stressing. Personally not worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Over a long period of time, firearms will do hearing damage even if you double up. Additional hearing damage does not automatically mean more tinnitus, though.

I personally don't really like shooting anymore, though I will probably get a crossbow in the fall. Apparently even a .22 can be 140db, which is more than I would have guessed. I once fired a single round though a 7.62x54R rifle with no protection at all, and even though this was years before my T problems began after a concert, it's not unreasonable to suspect it may have nudged me in that direction. I remember actual pain and instant ringing. I cannot imagine what it's like to be in a war...

Also, large bore rifles can apparently be 175db. That's pretty insane.

• Like Like x 1
    9. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      I've doubled up since my T began a little over two years ago.

In that time, I've shot about 6000 rounds, 5000 of which are .38, .357 Mag, 9mm, .44 Mag, and .45 ACP. It has not affected my T one bit.

Prior to that, over the last several years before my onset of T, I shot about 45,000 rounds of the above mentioned calibers. No T or ill effects on my hearing.

All shots were in an indoor range, which tends decrease attenuation.

The one shot *without* any hearing protection is what caused my T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Every one is different when it comes to T.. Youre lucky enough it hadnt caused damage but whis to say it wont happen to him.. My grandpa told me a while ago hes had a faint cricket noise in his head for 40 years . He got it when he hit his head when he fell off a ladder.. But he said it since then has never increased in volume and really never hear it anymore unless he tries i told him he was lucky it never got him.. And hes a shooter that never wears protection..he doesnt shoot so much anymore ..Actually shooting contributed to my onset even tho it was months after from stressing but it was helped by the hearing loss i got from the guns.. We were shooting many rounds and as we we were leaving my friend said i hadnt shot his gun yet so i got out the truck and started firing it and boom my ear popped hard it felt it blew up inside got t that day but went away got hearing distortion for a week went to the doc couldnt find anything wrong.. So i felt better then months later it onset on the left ear were it popped from shooting..regreted leaving the truck when he asked i should of just stayed out think about that everyday.... And now my T and H are very severe..

Indoor ranges are louder than a open field we shot at a canyon and that sounds louder than. A open field..

11. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Nobody shoots a few shots more like a few rounds lol and if so the people around u are still shooting..

12. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      I suppose, but I don't see why you can't just limit yourself if you still enjoy it to maybe a round and just keep your protection on while others are shooting. I doubt your shooting around for hours on end.