Should I Ask My Doctor If She Will Prescribe Me Riluzole to Try to Help My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 22, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Appointment is tomorrow

Okay, so what I am wondering is that if some people's tinnitus is caused by damaged neurons that could be overexcited. I found this drug which I posted about earlier. I bolded the first sentence. Do you think I should ask the doctor tomorrow about this drug and if she should prescribe it for me?:

Mechanism of Action[edit]

Riluzole preferentially blocks TTX-sensitive sodium channels, which are associated with damaged neurons.
      [15][16] Riluzole has also been reported to directly inhibit the kainate and NMDA receptors.[17] However, the action of riluzole on glutamate receptors has been controversial, as no binding of the drug to any known sites has been shown for them.[18][19] In addition, as its antiglutamatergic action is still detectable in the presence of sodium channel blockers, it is also uncertain whether or not it acts via this way. Rather, its ability to stimulate glutamate uptake seems to mediate many of its effects.[20][21] In addition to its role in accelerating glutamate clearance from the synapse, Riluzole may also prevent glutamate release from presynaptic terminals.[22] These effects combined could significantly reduce glutamate signaling and cause indirect antagonism without acting at glutamate receptors themselves.

Check out the wide prices for the generic in this place in Virginia (I don't live there but I am just posting it as an example)!