Should I Close My Windows?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CDNThailand, Jan 15, 2017.

1. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I live in Thailand and although my condo is in the back, sometimes loud noise happen , but far away...

But they sound loud to me.

Is it safer to close the window?

Or the noises would be too far to do any damage?

2. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      I've bought a decibel meter, to test various sound levels around the house and workplace. Whenever it gets a bit noisy I check the noise level, sometimes our anxiety makes it seem much louder than it actually is, so knowing the noise level helps calm me down.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I mean should I keep them closed 24/7 "in case" a loud sound comes up?

4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      What are those noises ?

You have to open your windows sometimes ;)

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I advise you not to keep away from normal everyday sounds, by closing windows etc, because you run the risk of increasing your anxiety which will make the tinnitus and hyperacusis more intrusive. This can also lead to phonophobia (fear of sound) if you are not careful! I think you should talk to your GP and probably start taking a mild antidepressant or try herbal St John's Wort. Monitoring sounds and carrying a sound meter on your person, is only increasing anxiety and is not healthy in my opinion.
      Michael

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      But today a transformer blew up somewhere...thailand has loud noises sometimes...however, maybe being far away causes no harm?

I did feel my ears tense up...

What about loud Harleys driving down 1 block away, still loud to me...what about car alarms? Sirens etc...am I safe because of distance? My room is not on the street.

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      These are normal everyday sounds and shouldn't cause you any harm because you are not being exposed to them long enough. I went into a venue recently where the sound level was 100 decibels. I stayed there for 30mis and wore no earplugs, although I had them with me. The next day my tinnitus was quiet and I experienced no symtoms of hyperacusis. This was just a test and not something I normally do or suggest anyone else to try.

All I'm saying is, I think you are becoming over anxious and need to relax and try and take away your focus from monitoring every change in your tinnitus and hyperacusis. It is good to be aware of loud sounds and take precautions but everything must be kept in balance to prevent it becoming an obession.
      Michael

8. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      It's your call, but if your window is not wide open and sounds are comming from far away - you should be fine.

And having a window open when it's warm outside is a nice thing :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I think you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable for now. If keeping the window open is difficult, close it. There'll come a time when you leave it open because you are comfortable with it. In the meantime, don't force it.

10. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @CDNThailand, there's a thread on this subforum named "Hyperacusis — Can "Normal" Sounds Cause Damage in a Person Who Has Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?" Link is here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-—-can-normal-sounds-cause-damage-in-a-person-who-has-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.19110/

In that thread, people can't agree on whether the answer is yes or no. Some people got worse from exposure to "normal" sounds, some got better, some stayed the same. I know you're looking for concrete answers but there aren't. We're all different cases, what works for one person may not work for another and vice versa.

I agree with @PaulBe, do what is comfortable for you. Only you can tell what is right for you, because even medical professionals can't. But at the same time, you have to calm down a bit. Be careful but not obsessive. Anxiety can make it much worse, which was what happened to me in December.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I think you are right Michael, I was running on the beach in Thailand with traffic, it increased my t every time, so I became paranoid, I think I may be causing this to myself...but not sure...

About the hyperacusis, if it's anxiety causing it, why would a miniature sound like a penny falling on the floor wake me?

I don't anticipate the sounds but they still get me...could my anxiety response follow me in my sleep? Subconsciously?

Additionally, since there doesn't seem to be proof either way about the vulnerability of damaged versus normal ears, I just don't know where to draw the line...as you know, "normal" noises can include door slams, dropped dishes on floor, loud snezzes, screams, car alarms, thunder, sirens etc....

I just don't know where to turn anymore!

12. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @CDNThailand, I understand your frustration. This is mine, too. It's bad enough that certain sounds cause instant pain, but the possibility of insidious effects is worse.

In one of his posts, @bill 112 mentioned how the pain reaction he had was delayed. A sound could be tolerable for him at the given moment so he would think nothing of it, but hours or days later, he would feel pain. So I've been thinking about that. I've had H for only five months. It's still mild, and moderate at times. But what will happen at the end of the year? Will everything catch up to me?

It's for this reason why I started wearing earplugs everywhere in December, but overprotection plus anxiety made me worse. I started becoming phonophobic, and sounds that didn't bother me before began to startle me. I'm trying to lessen the use of ear plugs for now, see if it makes a difference. So far I've seen a minor improvement. The sound of slamming cabinets doesn't take me off guard anymore but I still avoid it whenever possible. I think about "sound calories." I feel like I can't expose my ears to a lot of sounds even if I can tolerate them, so I'll just choose what I would expose them to.

Based from what I've read, it's a trial and error for people with H. People learn from how their ears react. Some people gradually worsen from normal noise exposure, while others improve from just putting up with the pain and getting on with their lives.