Should I Give Up Concerts and Karaoke Bars?

Discussion in 'Support' started by juliob, Nov 14, 2018.

1. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      So,

I have mild tinnitus and sometimes right temple + right ear with some discomfort, but not pain. Also, no noise gives me pain (even if someone play drums by my side I guess lol).

I love going to public karaokes to sing, and also going to metal concerts with some friends. I don't want to stop singing as it is something that I really love doing.

But now I wonder, and I don't know if there is a consensus about overprotection being good or bad. I don't even know if I have hyperacusis or something similar, and I use some psych meds (Zoloft and Xanax).

Should I gave up stuff I love due to this uncertainty?

I am considering ear plugs while hearing others but not putting them while singing. Oh, decisions.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This is a very hard question. Music was and still is a massive part of my life. Although I won't go to concerts, loud bars or karaoke nights :p, I refuse to let my musical talents and knowledge go to waste. I still play and record music (low volume of course). I don't think you have to give things up, just find a happy safe middle ground.

Everyone's tinnitus is also different so what it safe for you might not be safe for others. Before my T was made worse by acoustics trauma I was still going to bars, parties, concerts (with hearing protection) and never had a problem. Since my recent severe acoustic trauma happened in the past 4 months I am not doing any of that to let my ears heal. I will most likely not return to them in general because I simply can not let my tinnitus get any worse and the risk is too great for me now.

Be smart and safe with whatever you decide to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I will follow with using protection while on concerts and while at the bar hearing the music from the others, but removing them for singing (it's kinda a mess when I sing with earplugs). Until now, going to pubs, bars and crowded places was OK even without the protection. But I do use it in concerts or pubs with a band playing. By the way, I have these earplugs (are they considered good around here?):

https://www.amazon.com/Eargasm-Musi...sr=1-1-spons&keywords=eargasms+ear+plugs&th=1

May I ask you about this acoustic trauma you mentioned? How was it volumewise and which kind of sound?

I guess I will really keep doing the stuff I like. I get depressed thinking that I have to gave up stuff I love at the appex of my youth due to something so uncertain.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Answer = yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Those are only 16 dB. You can find higher better quality dB ear plugs on amazon that will provide more protection. Anything is better than nothing though.

It was due to a "sound grenade" during an airsoft game. It went off right next to me at 130 dB.

I completely understand your negative thoughts on the matter. I am still working through that myself and it is very hard. I am trying to find new things to keep me busy and productive. Try to find happiness where you can and hold onto it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What a bummer. Is this recommended even for AD induced tinnitus?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Woa, 130dB is crazy loud. I hope you fully recover soon from this trauma.

Yeah, right? Saw some people today chatting loudly on bars and drinking, all them happy. I refuse to deny all this for the rest of my life. I think I will try to keep my lifestyle, but being careful and see if something changes, changing the plan if I notice any worsening on all this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Probably. I do not know for sure.

9. Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      If you have something like 35dB ear plugs, and you know the decibel levels and general regulations in your country well so you know where you're putting yourself, it will of course be safe. At 100dB concert/bar you would go below 70dB, that's safe to listen for hours.

I think the stories about tinnitus getting worse is mainly because of badly seated ear plugs, not giving the full protection. So learn it 110%.

E: The lower frequencies are a bit less protected, and the concerts have low frequencies, so take that into account as well. So I would aim to keep myself at 70dB even in the lower frequencies if planning to stay for hours, or not go at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I held back and then went to a loud party a couple weeks and have had a T spike since. -- I wasn't wearing an ear plug in my bad ear though so I probably could have been avoided.

I used to do Karaoke regularly too and understand why you don't want to wear plugs while doing it. -- Maybe get some custom fit ones..

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmm... interesting. My earplugs reduce in 16dB or a little bit more, but I guess I am good to go since the sound there rarely gets over 85... or even 80.

Maybe I should import some new ear plugs... any particular recommendation? I don't know the best brands for this I guess.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am sorry for your spike... how loud was this party? I hope your T reduces back to the baseline level soon.

Where can you get custom ones where you live? Is this something that I have to model together with an ENT?

13. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Damage is damage. Do you get spikes from loud noises? Then most likely.

I would at least give up concerts. Karaoke is maybe doable with earplugs if your T doesn't spike easy.

Edit: Although, maybe avoid both of these for a while at least. Give your ears time to heal before going back in. Think like an athlete resting his foot. Maybe there some other musical hang outs you can do with your friends?

14. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      It was a friend's Tesla X car stereo that he was showing off as we drove around. -- I got caught up in the moment. -- I think I'm just imagining things since my inner ear didn't burn like when I self-inflicted it at a concert years ago and those inner ear hairs are all down for good anyway.

I'm not sure where to get custom ear plugs but I'm sure someone on this forum can help.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I rarely get spikes. Maybe temporary ones after drinking/smoking cigarettes.

I guess I will consider concerts only from artists that I really really like. It will be a thing that I will do once or twice a year.

Maybe giving a rest is really a good idea, yes. I think I will just chill with some low volume music and boardgames with my friends for a while...

But sometimes I wonder (and not related to your example or suggestions) if overprotective people kinda get their ears more conditioned in the sense that they are more 'fragile' once they are not used to louder sounds anymore. Does it makes sense?

16. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Some have chosen to give up concerts and karaoke bars. Others have been forced to.

17. Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      The concerts and regulations vary a lot. At least in Finland, if it's situated in urban area like these electronic music weekend festivals, I think the regulation is actually pretty low, like 75dB. That's doable even without plugs if you stay at the back, but I would add plugs for short volume spikes, as that's the average value I think.

18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
    19. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      That really depends. Do you want to have Severe Tinnitus and Severe Hyperacusis for rest of your life? Do you want to throw your life away for 1 hour of fun. I mostly spend time at work and at home. I went out to a resturant as I got too cocky with my H which got better, it came back with a vengeance.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      John, go to your audiologist. Don't buy them from anyone that isn't.

21. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      For concerts, I would probably invest in some Etymotic musicians plugs and go for the highest 25 dB rating. For karaoke, I think standard foam earplugs are fine. Just don't keep them in when singing--this could lead to the occlusion effect which is probably worse than just listening to the music without earplugs.

Also, I have read that you automatically reduce your inner ear hearing by 20 dB when talking (and presumably singing) so I would not be worried about it in a karaoke situation, except when not performing.

22. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It's a bit of a nonsense discussing going to concerts or karaoke bars on a hyperacusis forum. Dont you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Depends on your tinnitus and hyperacusis level. If they are mild and you can stand loud music with earplugs and if you don't get some tinnitus spikes as a result you can go from time to time. However it would be better if you decide to go to bars rather then concerts. Even bars can be still loud they can vary from 80 dB to 100 dB and you can still find the one which will suit you.

On the other side concerts are usually over 100 dB and it would be better to skip them. Also you should always consider almost always going outdoors rather then indoors either that is concert or some bar, the difference is HUGE.

I was going out to outdoor events much more then indoors while having my earplugs and I was fine. Now after the shooting I developed severe hyperacusis and unfortunately I can only dream of bars and nightclubs ...

• Like Like x 1