Should I Mention Tinnitus to New Employer?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Na_M, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Na_M

Na_M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hello everyone!

I recently landed a new job. And everything was smooth sailing until today when one of my training officers asked if there is anything they need to worry about with me? (The reason being I hardly talk when they are in discussions and tend to ward of attention of myself.) Do you guys think I should mention my tinnitus to my new employer? Please advise me.

2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hello NA_M

Because of T? In this case, I think you should. Why not? They would certainly understand you better.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Na_M
      Hi Na_M
      How intrusive is your tinnitus on a scale of 1 to 10?
      We are all different, but usually when someone starts a new job it can take a while to get used to people before they feel comfortable and start opening up. I would tread carefully if I were you because some people can be very unkind. The less said, less accounted for. People can only hurt you by the things you tell them.

Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I would say yes. Tell them you want every Friday off because of T...with pay.
      Give them a second option of increasing your salary for being a good soldier. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      lol Stophiss, I knew you would soon be here....

6. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I didn't mention it right away but during my 1-on-1 with my boss I did.

He's really cool about it. He lets me take sick days to go to doctors to get it evaluated/checked. It was a good idea to tell him.

7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Well as long as your T doesnt prevent you from getting work done i say mention it so they will be more mindful of it. Having a random emergency firedrill without a heads up stinks.

8. Stew
      Confused

Stew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My general answer would be that you have a hear disability. The scope of the disability should be in line with the level of intrusion. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it either, but be aware that you might need a Ear Doctor to confirm if there are any other issues. If the intrusion is minor and you do not have any issues with work requirements/environment then I would probably just not say anything.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree with the 1-on-1 approach and good for you. The trouble with telling co-workers anything is that it can go against you. They start to think you want special treatment. I would follow @Champ suggestions and give it a while if the tinnitus is really bothering you, and then only tell the Boss.
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      My manager asked why there is a constant fuzz noise coming from my phone when I first started so I just told her i had tinnitus. Funnily enough, her grandmother had musical tinnitus and was actually featured on bbc news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20732332

11. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Be open, you may need adjustments, I like having the option to open the window or play white noise.
      Additionally if t bothers you it's a challenge you are dealing with, which you should get recognition for, especially when you are delivering the same results as others...

In Europe we have employment rights, not sure where u are from but here we can't be discriminated against...

12. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I too have started a new job..

It was my manager who shared with me after a zzzless night that she has tinnitus too..

So i felt comfortable telling her about mine ...

• Like Like x 2
    13. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      You know me Michael. This insidious disorder. T loudness goes up and down like a yo yo for many including me. No control. Only questions and no answers.
      All one can do is laugh seriously. This disorder makes us chase our tails like a bunch of monkeys.
      Cheers

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Na_M

Na_M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your responses. It's quite comforting to know that I'm not all alone.

Michael- My Tinnitus isn't that bad actually. I would probably say a 3 (considering 1 is really good, and 10 really bad). I have decided to go with your advise and just keep it on the low for the time being.

Candy - I live in England and I heard it's quite common here. I just hope I meet someone with the same condition as mine at work.

Once again, thank you all. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask me.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Na_M
      Na_M. I think you have made the right decision by keeping quiet about your tinntius. I was medically retired from my job many years ago because the tinnitus can be quite severe. It ranges from complete silence to mild, moderate, severe and extremely severe to the point I have to take clonazapam to calm it down. I have habituated twice in the 20 years I have had it.

I see that your tinnitus was caused by loud noise. Since you say that it isn't that intrusive try to keep it that way. I advise you to never use headphones even at low volume. If you go to clubs use noise reducing earplugs. Try not to sleep in a quiet room, by using a sound machine at night and set it to play throughout the night until morning. Keep the volume slightly below your tinnitus.

If you follow my suggestions, there is a good chance that your tinnitus will not get worse and might even reduce. Enjoy your new job and in time you will integrate more with your co-workers as you get to know them better, and vice versa. Remember to be careful of the things you divulge as you can't trust anyone.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Na_M

Na_M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thank you so much For your advise, Micheal.

Just to add, I do use earphones. But at a very low volume. It doesn't affect my tinnitus at all. But then again, I think we're all different.

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Na_M True Na_m we are all different. As long as you keep the volume low through the headphones then hopefully you should be alright. Try not to listen for too long a duration. I speak from many years experience (I don't know everything and I'm still learning) However, I am a tinnitus support contact. Many people have contacted me after their tinnitus had reduced to a low level (like yours) and returned to using headphones and listening at low volume. However, they noticed the tinnitus got louder and it remains that way. So, just be careful.

Michael

18. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wouldn't tell my manager that I have T unless they were an older person. If you tell them you have T, that means more days off, not being productive, etc. That is very bad for a company so they'll end up giving you the boot. Which is completely understandable.

19. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      That doesn't make any sense to me..

20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think being honest about tinnitus to an employer will help build a honest relationship and understanding about it and can help if your working environment needs adjusting to support you in your work place....lots of love glynis

21. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Nice thought Glynis. Meanwhile in the real world ....

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    22. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think if you then need time off if going through stress,depression and anxiety and tinnitus rages due to it they will have better understanding.
      Work know I have menieres and tinnitus and sever asthmatic and they are very supportive and as we are all highly first aid trained I know I'm in safe hands and they are too...
      Bosses could have tinnitus also....lots of love glynis

23. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Wow your employer sounds super-understanding of your needs Glynis. What kind of work do you do btw?

24. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I work in a school.....lots of love glynis

• Genius Genius x 1
    25. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Oh that's great for you Glynis. Teaching is a really demanding profession. I have a few friends who were teachers, some with tinnitus and let's just say that their headteachers weren't quite so prepared to be so accommodating to their needs. "Tinnitus rages" might have to take a back seat if you've got a class of thirty to teach, let's say. So it's great that yours have been so understanding to your needs as a teacher.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Oh sorry I just realised that I've assumed that you're a teacher. Is that correct?

27. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      not immediately. but yes, eventually. most people I work with know.

28. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Depends what the cause of T is
      If it's anxiety / stress / depression maybe no

If it's an accident - noise trauma, infection etc. tell them you had an inner ear damage / injury which produces a few issues such as T and extra sensitive ears

29. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      No I wouldn't. Most who don't have it cannot understand nor be sympathetic to your plight.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Depends on a few things. Are you expected to make lots of calls? Attend video conferences? Visit noisy places? Work with a lot of people in a small space? You may have only T and not H, but some noises tend to worsen T which you don't want to happen.