Should I Seek Treatment (Prednisone) Fast?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mariusea, Sep 8, 2017.

1. mariusea

mariusea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I have for as long as I can remember have had a weak and high frequency sound when in quiet rooms. I have never bothered to think much about this. However, about 10 days ago I was trying to sleep in a quiet room and said to myself "hm, this sound is actually quite high" and wondered if it was always like this or have gradually increased. After this, I have given the "tinnitus" a lot of thought and now it seems to be mostly in the left ear. I hear the sound only is semi-quiet enviroments. At work and at my home I am able to hear it most of the time unless I have the TV or other sounds around me.

I am not sure if this is a temporary thing or permanent. Right now it is driving me nuts and is quite bothersome in the right setting. I feel "something" physical in the left ear, not sure what it is. I have not been around any high sounds that might have damaged the ear, and this happened very randomly.

Would you start with a prednisone treatment now or wait some time to se if this is an infection that goes away?

Did you get prednisone from your doctor or from an ENT?

2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I think it wouldn't hurt. If you can go for it. It may not help too though.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you have an infection, you need antibiotics.
      Prednisone is often used as a treatment for Sudden SensoriNeural Hearing Loss, and sometimes for recent acoustic trauma management. If you haven't suffered any of these events, I'm not sure how it will help you.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree with @GregCA. Prednisone is effective only if taken something like within 48 hours of an acoustic trauma.

At this point, the only thing you can do is try to protect your ears from moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner or a blender. You can also try to be patient and hope that you will see improvement in 3-6-24 months...