Should I Stop Blocking Out Noise a Lot?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Striveon, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tend to block out noise if it is too loud or even places like stores or malls because I get anxious.

Will that make hearing worse?

Should I be exposed to those noises?

I also block out noise when someone is cleaning or when people talk loud or even when I am driving on the street?

What should I do?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No.
      It is possible that exposure to moderate noises makes one less vulnerable as far as exposure to louder noises is concerned. But if you are able to stay away from all noises, you are going to be ok.

Listen to the signals given to you by your body. If the sound makes you feel bad - stay away from it.
      It is good to be easy on your ears and to give them time to recover. In a year or two, when you feel better, you can always stop protecting your ears from those moderate noises. Of course if the sound of driving doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, and has never led to your T getting louder, you might consider ending that practice.

3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Go by your own comfort levels. All of our ears are different. If you have any form of H normal noises become louder. If you ignore H and your comfort levels, it can end up making you feel worse.

At the same time, not all noise is harmful and we need some noise not only to help mask our tinnitus but also to keep our ears healthy.

It's fine to take things slow at first. If you csn get your H to improve and detach negative emotions to some sounds, you'll find that some are pretty ok or won't bother you anymore.

Take it at your own pace and keep yourself healthy. Don't judge your own self for being cautious. Protecting your ears/ducking out of loud places should never make you feel ashamed.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I say we are all very vulnerable to me damage and should limit noise exposure.