Should I Wear My Tinnitus Masker or Not?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lyrica, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Lyrica

Lyrica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      I have tinnitus for 3 years now. My tinnitus gets reactivated all the time in response to annoying loud noises.

I have bought a tinnitus masker(hearing aid with white noise) a year ago. About a month back i quit wearing it because i hoped that i would finnaly be cured from tinnitus by trying to habutate. But my tinnitus got fully reactivated by a couple of annoying loud noises.

My question: Should i wear my masker or should i try to habutate? Im so tired of thinking 50 times a day about my tinnitus for 3 years.. And getting punished for every sound that is a little bit too loud..

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      From what I know, if you set the volume of the masker under the volume of T, so you can still hear it, you will not prevent hsbituation, but make progress toward reaching it. This is part of the theory of TRT.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I found my tinnitus maskers very helpful and wore mine for a very long time set below my tinnitus sound.
      I then spent time with out them I and used them as needed.
      As my Menieres progressed I eventually went on To wear duel purpose hearing aids...lots of love glynis

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      i found a great iphone app called Whist tinnitus - I use the residual inhibition setting which allows you to set on and off time of a white noise which you can also fine tune in frequency and noise and this sounds more like a shower rather than a hard type white noise. I set it at 2 seconds on and 8 seconds off and that sort of brings my brain to get used to silence while feeding the missing sounds and calming the neurones every now and then so its not on all the time.
      I can watch a movie with this playing in the background

5. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      How has that app been working out for you? Thinking of maybe getting it to try it out.

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Works fine I use it and sometimes also use another app called sleep pillow - has a blue owl as icon - this one has a collection of valuable sounds especially high quality high frequency rain and other sounds too.
      I tried a bunch of other sound apps
      Too but those two seem the most useful to me