Should You Wear Earplugs When Driving a Car?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GamingT, Jul 24, 2017.

1. GamingT

GamingT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss due to loud headphones, possibly depression
      I took a drive on busy highway t0 see family last week and took my phone out to use the decibel reader to check how loud it was.

The decibel reader reported most times 75 dB with spikes up to 80 - 85 dB when passing cars or getting passed.

Should you be wearing ear plugs when driving to keep tinnitus from getting worse?

2. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      I don't think so mate, not nearly loud enough in the vehicle, plus you need to hear what's going on around you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I protect my ears whenever I am outside of my home. This is one of the few things you can do to promote your healing, so why not do it? In addition to the general traffic noise, you will be protecting yourself from sirens, trucks and motorcycles accelerating, and other noises. When airbags deploy, the sound is 160dB. Earplugs won't offer adequate protection for that, but it is better than having no protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'd say it's one of these edge cases. It depends on your car, the tires, the roads, your speed, how long you'll in the car, what else you're doing that day etc.

I do wear plugs on longer trips. I drive at about 90 to 100 km/h (whenever this is safe) to reduce wind noise, save on gas and to have an overall more comfortable trip.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I had my decibel meter in my car for the first time today. I was surprised the decibel level was averaging 87 dB and reached a high of 105 dB. It didn’t seem loud but I can hear my tinnitus way above the car engine.

Is it worth it protecting the ears in the car?

6. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Decibel meters give false readings in a car.

No you should not wear ear plugs in a car.

7. Brandon1994

Brandon1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I'm curious how it gives a false reading in a car. Is it because the DB rating is consistently moving and it's not a steady noise level? Because I have a mustang and when driving it ranges from 70db to 85db depending on driving and I was wondering if I should wear plugs or if I'm just over reacting

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The db meter apps on the smartphones are uncalibrated. Download a few of them, and they all give different numbers.

I tried a few times, but concluded it was not helpful to drive with the earplugs. I do make sure to put the windows up when there is a loud vehicle nearby, like a diesel truck, or school bus. You also need to protect from sirens when ambulances pass.

9. Steve0

Steve0 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      From OP "The decibel reader reported most times 75 dB "

That level is expected from the interior of many cars, some cars might be louder, some quieter. I have a diesel Jeep and it runs around 80db. That is enough to start my T up ... I wear earplugs when I drive and that stops the spikes mostly. Earplugs still enable you to carry out conversations, hear traffic etc btw.

10. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Driving on the highway tends to raise my tinnitus level, but it goes back down usually minutes after I get out of the car. I guess I just deal with it since personally I don't feel safe wearing earplugs while driving, as I can't hear other cars and lose a bit of awareness.

11. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I wear them all the time. I have a small sports car and it is loud. I have been trying to find quieter tires. I wear the big ear muffs lots on the highway. I may even sell the car and get something more pedestrian and quiet.

Deaf people drive cars don't they?

12. Steve0

Steve0 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Problem with mine is it dosn't go back down once it kicks off. It might lose the edge and drop back 10-20% but once it's triggered it is normally at least one sleep cycle to reduce it significantly.

13. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This also happens with mine but not as often with driving. I just try to accept it at this point and let it do its thing, because even if I don't do anything the whole day it will still do that sometimes and stay loud all day until another sleep cycle.