Shower

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, May 15, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So, after I take a shower when I get out I can hardly hear the noises for a while. Then, they ramp back up again. Does this make any sense? Anyone else have this experience? What could be causing this?

2. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yes, it makes a lot of sense. Look up "residual inhibition" on the internet and it may be the reason for this phenomenon. I could be wrong so be sure get a second or third opinion. :)

3. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      Yes, happened to me.
      I have three explanations:
      1) my T may be mostly somatic and after the shower the muscles still warmed were for a while more relaxed
      2)my T may be mostly due to stress/tensed nervous system and the mind relaxing effect of a shower, which lasts for a little while, may be the cause of my T lessening after a shower.
      3)a combination of 1) and 2)
      I have somatic T and also that my T increases or decreases with the nervous system tension.

4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      residual inhibition is a known phenomenon and what's causing this

5. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Yeah I take like 3-4 showers a day lol

6. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's interesting, but I have to actually be in the shower for it to work. If I just listen to it or hear a shower sound it doesn't happen.

7. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What I read said that this phenomena lasts for a few seconds up to a few minutes. I actually get way longer than that, maybe an hour or so. I guess I'll consider myself lucky, if any of is with this dreaded curse can actually ever think of ourselves as lucky;)

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jkph75
      I just deleted my posts with recorded shower sounds , so it does not increase other's T too. Please delete your post in which you quote mine, with the embedded video that increases T sounds, at least in some cases.

9. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ok. The second one didn't bother me, but it didn't help either.

@Dana

What is your T like?

10. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, my T....
      Can't describe it, really. One would have to have it in order to know how it is, which I do not recommend.
      My T is always a "pleasant" surprise, in terms of number and "locations" of sounds (left ear, right ear, more central/brain, lower, higher), and in terms of volume , type of sound and frequencies, things that make it worse, or spike.
      Because of this fluctuation in frequencies and volume i cannot measure it, nor I can use ACRN tinnitus treatment, nor I can hope for habituation. How could I habituate to something that makes the headlines in my mind, with the news it always brings.
      "The best way to completely ruin a life" would be my closest description. Surpassed the Devil's imagination as to how to torture somebody.

• Hug Hug x 3
    11. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What is ACRN?

12. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    13. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      Yup. I have the same experience.

I wake up to blaringly loud tinnitus when I wake up, then have a shower and the tinnitus:
      - On good days will become a negligable minor light hiss for the remainder of the day.
      - On bad days the tinnitus will drop to a minor light hiss but will ramp up over 10-15 minutes to maximum loudness.

I also have to be in the shower for it to work.

Sounds like you guys have the same variation of Tinnitus as me. If you are not getting any 'good' days, give vitamin B6 a try. 300 mg on the bad day and wait 24-36 hours for the effect. Take considerable care not to take too much B6 though.

Are you guys taking any chemical compounds that's helping with your tinnitus?